Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:05 AM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Well, y'all...my dad was helping me test how well my engine was mounted, which consisted of shaking the plane by the engine. Short story long...I kinda cracked the engine box. Well, not kinda. So I epoxied it back together, finished the elevator, modified the rudder, finished the ailerons, mounted the spinner, started on the cowling, switched-out the wheels for Great Planes 2.5" wheels, threw on the 15x4W prop (only thing i had a spinner to fit), and I'm all ready to break-in the engine. I just need to mount my switch, mount the cowling, drill the rest of the holes for the cowling, and then I'm ready to fly. About the elevator, it's a HUGE pain in the butt to fish the pushrods through the holes in the side of the fuse...but set-up and trimming took all of 20 minutes. It gives me gob-loads of throw. I actually had to cut the bar on my pull-pull system so it wouldn't hit the elevator on full-down deflection. The position of the fuel tank is still giving me problems, but I think I've figured it out. Tomorrow, I'll break-in the engine and finish everything else up and post pictures of the final and completed product. A word for the wise: make sure you have a pretty good servo for the elevator, as two elevators that big and a single servo is a lot of work.

BTW, do y'all think it's okay to break-in a Saito FA-100 with an APC 15x4W prop, as long as it's still 5 turns from closed on the needle and 4000rpm?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:30 PM
RVM

I think it is a bad idea to break a 4-stroke in on any plane. That is a lot of vibration, and the Fliton products are not built to take it. I would highly recommend you pull the engine and break it in on a test stand. The 15x4w prop will be fine for break in. You really don't need to be 5 turns rich either. Try 3.5 or 4. Read the Club Saito thread or the Saito Notes I linked you to before. There is a lot of additional information there.

I should have mentioned that it is a good idea to reinforce the engine box with 1/4" - 3/8" balsa tri stock.

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

BTW, do y'all think it's okay to break-in a Saito FA-100 with an APC 15x4W prop, as long as it's still 5 turns from closed on the needle and 4000rpm?
Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
victorzamora

Well, that hint probably would've helped a little bit...and it's a good tip for everyone about to put the plane together. I just broke-in the engine on a MAS 14x8, on the plane, at 5 turns from open. Oh well. I'm kind of concerned. The engine just revved up to about 10k rpm with the 15x4W. What I've heard is that the engine's peak RPM is 8700RPM. I'm using a Hangar9 Micro Digital Tachometer, if it makes any difference. Should I swap out the 15x4W for the 16x4W to see if I can hit the 8700RPM mark, or just run it at around 9500k? I'm worried I'll over-rev the engine, which I've done before. Thanks for the input!!
Old 09-10-2007, 12:26 AM
RVM

Who on earth told you the peak RPM is 8700? You really gotta at least glance at those threads I linked you to. As long as your static RPM is between 9k and 10k you're fine. That's the ideal powerband for the Saito 1.00, depending on fuel.

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Well, that hint probably would've helped a little bit...and it's a good tip for everyone about to put the plane together. I just broke-in the engine on a MAS 14x8, on the plane, at 5 turns from open. Oh well. I'm kind of concerned. The engine just revved up to about 10k rpm with the 15x4W. What I've heard is that the engine's peak RPM is 8700RPM. I'm using a Hangar9 Micro Digital Tachometer, if it makes any difference. Should I swap out the 15x4W for the 16x4W to see if I can hit the 8700RPM mark, or just run it at around 9500k? I'm worried I'll over-rev the engine, which I've done before. Thanks for the input!!
Old 09-15-2007, 10:30 PM
victorzamora

Okay, I finally maidened my plane today. The temperature was perfect, and the sky was more than gorgeous...unfortunately, it was extremely windy. Flying in extreme wind was an extremely stupid decision, especially knowing my horrid luck with new planes. It was a maiden on an untrimmed, overpowerd 3D aircraft with a brand new engine on a disgustingly windy day. I flew twice, and neither time did I have any problem . Worried y'all, didn't I? I had two Saito-guys check out my engine and my plane set-up, and they said it was good. I did a perfectly good job tuning it. The engine was hot at the end of the flight, but nothing out of the ordinary and it didn't lose power. Knife edge was 7318294016 times better than that of the FuntanaX. It had amazing vertical, and it released in a perfectly straight line after a snap-roll. It snaps beautifully. I tried hovering and harriers, but I wasn't able to because of the horrendous amount of wind. It took off of concrete in like 15 feet at half throttle and low-rates. It was solid and stable at any attitude, with the wind from any direction. I was preparing for a fight against the wind, but just had to fight my urge to flip on high and attempt a couple DOD 3D stunts...but DOD = pile of splinters for me. I decided that I did NOT want to try and plant balsa trees any time in the future, seeing as how I've had enough failed attempts already. Both landings were gorgeous (which is definitely not common for me) nice, soft and greased in. Here are some final pics, I'll have to get pictures of the inside set-up just to show y'all what I've done with it. The first flight, it needed 3 clicks of left trim and two clicks of pitch-down trim...but the right aileron was too low and the CG was slightly forward. I straightened out the ailerons and reset the aileron trim, and it was perfectly straight. Rx and battery are just ahead of the wing-tube, so I'll move the batt. back and reset the CG. It's gonna be amazing as soon as I get it dialed in, considering how great it is already.

[img] [/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56988.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	763575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46509.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	763576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16956.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	763577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96742.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	763578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84538.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	763579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67660.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	763580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62309.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	763581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93236.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	763582  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80777.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	763583  
Old 09-15-2007, 11:18 PM
victorzamora

Sorry for the huge pix, I tried to tone them down like 10 times...it just never worked. I wonder why it's doing that?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

For members to view smaller pictures, go to the bottom of the post and apply "Click for fullsize". It takes a minute but you will get viewable pictures in a slide show format.

Congratulations on the successful maiden!
Phillip
Old 09-16-2007, 09:57 AM
victorzamora

Well, that 's definitely better than nothing. It also works if you just click on the picture, I think. I just wish that it would've worked like the other two sets of pictures on that page...oh, well. Regardless of how badly I uploaded the pictures, the plane still flew beautifully . And after that much money into the plane, that's really the only thing that matters I guess.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:52 PM
.:RClunatic:.
My Feedback: (21)

good deal on this plane: www.flitonstore.com under clearance section. gotta have it
Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 AM
victorzamora

WOW!! I wish I would've seen it before I ordered my plane[:@]. Well, the extra $30 was more than worth it...but they could've gone to a better elevator servo (I have an S3004 for the whole thing, seems a little slow). I'm gonna have to swap it out for 2 servos in the back, but it's good enough. I did my first rolling harrier in it the other day, it made me look good! Also, the snap-rolls with this plane are crazy....they're fast and clean, and release as if you'd never have done them. I did 5 on a vertical then released and it was still climbing.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 AM
tjfdownsouth

The only grip i have with this plane is the landing gear. After the first hard landing the right side cracked, they still work i just have to be extra sure to grease the landing in. I had to learn after my last plane that this one will deceive you because it will fly so slow. With power on when I cut the power for a flare it was going so slow it just plopped on the runway. Anyway this is still a great plane it is just so much lighter than anything else I have you have to remember the differences switching back and forth.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM
victorzamora

Very nicely put Tim. Same thing happened to me. Well, mine was because I ran out of fuel[:@]. Why don't IC engines run without fuel, huh?? Oh well...Anywho, I was slower than walking speed about 15ft off the ground, tried dipping the nose but it just elevator-ed straight down. What was amazing is how amazingly straight it stalled. I was impressed. I was pissed initially, but seeing how easy the fix was I wasn't too upset. I just need to find myself some time to fix it. I'll probably end up fixing it this Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. People around here fly in the afternoon anyway, so I should be okay. As long as I don't have to cut Monokote I'll be fine. Most crashes I blame on my plane, but this one was all me...I'm not used to landing such a plane as of yet.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Pete1burn

Folks, I'm trying to decide between this Fliton Edge 540 and the Seagull Edge 540. Are these both 60-size planes? The RCU review of the Fliton says it's a 40-size.

I have a Saito 100 to go into whichever plane I decide. I know a couple of people here used the Saito 100 on the Fliton.

1. Any comments on which is a better plane for an intermediate pilot? (Fliton or Seagull)

2. Saito 100 a good match for either plane?

3. How easy is the Fliton to transport? Our field is about 300 yards into a clearing. Has to be easy to transport over the ground.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:57 PM
victorzamora

The official release was: "Fliton proudly unveils it's second 60 class offering." The Fliton has a 58" WS, while the Seagull has a 68" WS. 10in will make a difference. However, Horizon Hobby recommends a Saito 125 for the Seagull. It also weighs over 3 pounds more than the Fliton (5.7lbs vs 8.8lbs). The seagull also has, regardless of what websites or ads say...little to no 3D potential. I don't mean it can't hover. I've seen someone hover a trainer not but 2 feet off the ground, I actually mean walls/blenders/waterfalls/rolling harriers etc. Its control-surfaces are tiny, perfect for IMAC/Pattern. The Fliton IS TECHNICALLY A 60-SIZED PLANE...sorry RCU-Reviewer. With the Saito 100, the plane balances dead-center on the wing tube (which, fyi, is carbon fiber). If you just want precision, it's a tough call. I'm not sure the Saito 100 will be enough (didn't think i'd ever say that) for the nearly 9-lb Seagull Edge. Also, the Seagull edge has a wingloading of nearly 30oz/ft2. The Fliton's wingloading is 22oz/ft2. I haven't seen the Seagull Edge fly without much wind, but it did rolling circles fairly well in heavy wind...but it was definitely affected. The Central American IMAC Sportsman Champion was having a bit (not much, but he IS amazing) of trouble keeping it pretty in the wind. The Fliton Edge is amazingly solid in the wind. It also releases from snap rolls on a perfectly straight line. With the Saito 100, it also achieves unlimited vertical. Knife edges are nearly hands off, even up to high-alpha. I did my first rolling harrier with it, the second day flying it, on its fourth flight ever and didn't do too bad of a job, if I do say so myself. This plane is the first plane that makes me more confident when I fly it. Actually, that's a lie...I had the FuntanaX50, which inspired a lot of confidence, but the Fliton actually has the performance capabilities to back it up. Its harriers are nearly perfectly stable, and it stalls straight down...and that's considering my plane is quite nose-heavy. A bit of weight in the back would make this plane untouchably amazing. I'll have to see if I can move the CG back for this W/E and test it then. Buy the fliton and you WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED. It's pretty easy to transport, so don't worry about it (the seagull weighs over 50% more than the fliton). you'll be addicted as much as i am!!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Pete1burn

An incredibly informative response, and I thank you for it. If this board had a reputation system, you'd definitely get a + from me. Thanks for making my decision easier!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 PM
victorzamora

Haha, no problem. It's always helped me, and I think that if I'm lucky enough to know what I'm talking about I should pitch in to help someone else. I've been flying for just over a year, but have been stuck to RCU. I've also always tried my hardest to help the people that I can. Sometimes I'd go to the flying field, fly once, and spend over 5 hours trying to help others. Not that I'm bragging, it's just because others have always helped me...and that's one of my favorite things about this hobby. A good friend of mine bought this plane, and a flying buddy was the Central American Champion that maidened. It flew horridly for the owner, but he'd only been flying for like 3 weeks (he had more money than sense, in all honesty). I was lucky enough to have seen both planes fly, and to have flown one of them. I think I should at least pass my knowledge on to people if it'll be of any use. If it weren't for people on RCU, I would've bought the Showtime 50 with an OS 55AX and wouldn't have been pleased. Also, Bill Robison compiled the most amazingly complete set of notes on Saitos (the complete saito notes by Bill Robison) on here...and I'd have a $280 Saito 100-shaped paperweight had it not been for him. If you do end up buying this plane, I only have one negative aspect to bring your attention to. It's a very difficult ARF to assemble, because it gives you so many different options...which is good. It is, however, a trade-off. More options=less preassembled. It's more than worth it though!! Post pictures of your decision, and (if you make the correct decision) pics of you building your Fliton. I'm more than glad to have been able to help, if for no other reason than to get you flying an amazing plane. Thanks for the compliment though, I always try to convey my opinions. If I were you though, I wouldn't trust me as a single person. Read the reviews of each plane (I've yet to write the Fliton review) and see if they coincide with what I say. BTW, www.flitonstore.com has them for around $180. good deal! GOOD LUCK!!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Pete1burn

Well, before I even read your response, I went right to the link someone posted a few back and ordered it for the discounted price.

Should arrive shortly and I can finally begin building another plane!

I fly the Seagull Harrier 90 and it has to be one of the best handling and easy to control planes I've had the pleasure of building/flying. I thought that Seagull would have continued their good track record with the Edge, but I guess Fliton just has a better product in this case.

I did read both reviews (many times!) and the one thing that bothered me was in the Seagull review where the author said, "It flies very well with a Saito 100, but it's strong enough to take upwards of a 125 4-Stroke." That sounds like he's hinting it should have a 125 on there to begin with. I really needed something to go with my Saito 100 since I have a brand new GK version that's been sitting on my building board for close to a year.

People helping each other out is one of the greatest aspects of this hobby. Thanks again for your help. I've never done a build log before since I would consider myself a small step above beginner, so I don't know all the tricks of the trade yet. Who knows? Maybe I will start a build log for this one. Now I need to go find every post on the Fliton Edge I can to read up on the building process.

Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:12 PM
victorzamora

No problem! I'm glad to hear that you ordered it. I couldn't remember if that link was in this thread or not, so I decided to post it anyway. The build isn't that hard, and it's much easier if you have a Tx that can handle dual elevator servos. All you have to do is figure out how to mount the throttle and fuel-tank in that case. I'll see if I can take a picture of how I did it. If you can't use dual elevator servos, it takes more time...but it's detailed nicely in the manual, so you shouldn't have a problem with it.
I'm also glad you've already read the reviews. It's a comforting feeling when someone reassures what you know, I think. Also, I have no doubt that the Seagull is a great plane...it's just that the Fliton is more great. It also fits your engine choice and needs more precisely, which is what mostly matters. You're gonna love this plane, I know it! Any questions, and I'll still follow this thread and try to answer them. If I can't, I'll send you to someone who can.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Pete1burn

I never checked to see if my TX can do that, but I don't think it can. It's the Futaba 6EXAS. The Harrier 90 had two servo mounts on either side of the fuse positioned in such a way so that they went the right direction without the need of a reverser or any mixing on the radio. All it needed was a servo splitter. The servo was mounted in the opposite direction a little higher so that the arm went to the right place on the elevator. I don't know how to explain it any better, but I could certainly post a pic. I wonder if the Fliton is the same, and if it's not, I wonder why more manufacturers don't design their planes that way. It's a very simple way to get two servos on the same control surface with minimal fuss and no added expense.

Now that you mention it, would you mind telling me what extras are needed to complete the plane? They always leave stuff out of the "required to complete" section!

Servo extensions, spinner, etc. I used Dubro control horns and made my own carbon fiber control rods on my Harrier and I will do the same for the Edge. I just hope I can remember what I used! It's been over a year since I've built a plane. Been very busy. If you could just give me a full list of what's needed to complete the build, I would be most grateful.

Thanks
Pete
Old 09-22-2007, 10:11 PM
victorzamora

Bad news fellas....my Rx battery got disconnected after a couple rolling harriers and a really violent snap roll. Needless to say, it was WAY more than destroyed. I actually did quite a bit of damage. Actually, I destroyed it . It went spinner-first into the ground, it even hurt the engine. Needle valve, intake tube, rocker arms, valve cover, a couple other things. One servo has completely stripped-out the gears. The Spinner's also completely destroyed. I'm going to send the engine in to HorizonHobby and ask them to fix it for me. It should be okay, I just don't know if I want to get that plane again or not. Who knows what I'll get!!!
Old 09-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Pete1burn

Sorry to hear about your Edge Victor. Always cringe when I hear others describe their catastrophic equipment failures. Thankfully I haven't had one yet, knock on wood. I dumb-thumbed my Spirit 3D into the ground and snapped the thing into toothpicks, but that was my own fault.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 PM
victorzamora

I always feel worse when it's my fault. When it's the equipment's fault, my parents always like to chip in to help out a bit. Plus, I know that there's nothing I really could've done, and nothing I should've done differently. It's okay though. I'm gonna send the engine in to Horizon Hobby...and while it's gone figure out what plane to put it in. Maybe the Extra Freestyle, who knows? I loved this plane, but I'd also like something different.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

Victor,
In the future, wrap some masking tape around the RX battery plug. I had that same connection fail but fortunately the plane was on the ground and at low idle. Now I tape it every time.
Phillip
Old 09-24-2007, 03:34 PM
RVM

I use heatshrink tubing on my connections whenever it is convenient to do so. Even my Dean's connectors.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:13 AM
Pete1burn

The Edge arrived last night. Looks great. I will start the build this weekend probably if I have time. I also need a new table to build on. I picked up some odds and ends to make control rods plus a spinner and other various things. Using pinned nylon hinges instead of CA hinges, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.