Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

Old 09-28-2007, 12:31 AM
.:RClunatic:.
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FLITON EDGE 540 FREESTYLE they did it again

glad to hear pete that you got in on the clearance deal. i believe its still going on now for those that still want to get a sweet deal
Old 09-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Pete1burn

Thanks! Too good of a deal to pass up. I got all of my building supplies out of storage last night. Time to find a table at KMart or something.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Pete1burn

Started building last night. It's a pretty quick build. Hinges always slow me down since I use pinned nylon hinges instead of CA hinges, so I have to use a slot cutter to widen all of the slots up. Then invariably at least one of the hinges goes sloppy so I have to cut out some covering and repair the little tears. But it seems like a very high quality ARF. The instructions are printed on thick paper with clear illustrations, etc. The only thing it doesn't go into is the dual elevator servos, but I know there is info on that out there for me to find.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Pete1burn

Ok, I lied. Anyone have info for dual elevator servo setups? I only saw balsa sheeting on either side of the tail part, and no clear place to put a servo. I don't want to have to measure out exactly where to cut a hole into my plane, so if someone has clear instructions, photos, whatever, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
RVM

You gotta measure and cut... it isn't hard.

ORIGINAL: Pete1burn

Ok, I lied. Anyone have info for dual elevator servo setups? I only saw balsa sheeting on either side of the tail part, and no clear place to put a servo. I don't want to have to measure out exactly where to cut a hole into my plane, so if someone has clear instructions, photos, whatever, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Pete1burn

How about the fuel tank? There is no obvious place for it. I looked through the old posts and it looks like people are just securing it to the tray or putting it inside the engine box. Any advice where it should go?

I also have a mini servo to use for throttle, but it looks like the fuel tank will interfere with the control rod. Still trying to figure that one out.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
busted blade

Here is how I did mine. I have to say I am not truly happy with this plane at all. It has been a major headache through the whole build up of it. Some people may love it, But I personnally will never buy one of their planes again.

Cheap landing gear(gear have major camber built into them), I put bigger foam wheels on it to aid in grass takeoff/landings but the camber built in almost rolls the foam off the wheels, The soft aluminum control horns(bend very easily), for the most part crap hardware package. Plane was not really engineered for gas or electric. Just not my idea of a $200 airplane. I will definatly shop elsewhere next time.

Still building on this one, Its kind of been shoved off in the corner and forgot about for now. I might end up using the electronics/engine in something else before it ever gets finished.

I am not trying to start a debate over it being good or bad, Just my thoughts on it thats all.

I truly respect those of you who have finished and flown this plane!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50661.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	783706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50609.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	783707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72215.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	783708  
Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Pashka_22

That is funny!
I am sure you will put yourself together and finish this plane.
And then, after you fly it, I will see what you will have to say!
BTW, I used aluminum horns even on rudder - they are just fine.
And I agree with you on landing gear: I almost broke it after not so perfect landing.
I bought a new one, but decided to fix the old one (almost broken) with fishing line.
I ran the line in between the landing gear supports, about half distance between fuse and ground.
And it is still working, after many flights. The new one is still sitting in the box.

Regards,
Pashka.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 PM
busted blade

3 of the 6 horns were very soft aluminum, almost like they werent heat treated enough. the other three are fairly stiff so I used 2 of them on the rudder and threw the rest in the trash. went with dubro horns on ailerons and elevator. I did mount two servos in the tail for elevator control. Actually was much easier than I planned it to be. Made the plywood mounts for the servos and installed them up through the rudder servo cutout, couldnt get any easier. Much better setup than the included wood stick they give you.

I might dig it out and start working on it again..The more I look at it the more I want to get it finished.

Not much more work needs to be done to get it finished now that I look at it.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 AM
jdan
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with busted blade.Not my idea of a $200 plane. I don't know how they expected to mount wheel pants on those landing gear.I found it difficult to get enough throw with the horns being that long. It is also a pleasure trying to squeeze the rubber bands on the ply hooks next to the wing tube. I'm also off of Fliton.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 AM
victorzamora

Guys, y'all will not regret assembling this plane. The $200 show their worth when it comes to flying. If my darn Rx battery wouldn't have come off, it'd be my favorite airplane bar none. It still is my favorite airplane. It's THE most stable plane I've ever flown in harrier, inverted harrier, elevator, inverted elevator, waterfalls, knife-edge spin, flat spin, inverted flat spin, flat spin transition, rolling harrier, rolling circle, one roll circle, slow roll, wall, knife edge, knife edge harrier, lomcevak, snap roll, torque roll, hover, inverted wall and more. I've been flying for just over a year, but went 3 months without touching a plane....so less than a year of actually flying. The only other 3D type plane i had ever had was the FuntanaX 50 with a trucked-up 55AX that couldn't produce a lick of power. It was DISGUSTINGLY disappointing!! So really, it taught me how to do all those 3D maneuvers well in just 10 flights. In the 10 flights it gave me before the $450 dollars in damage, I had so much fun and learned so much that I believe the 450 was quite worth it. The plane is an amazing airplane. Take the time to set it up correctly and it will reward you magnificently. Balance it and trim it perfectly, and y'all will be amazed. FWIW, I've flown 50cc planes less stable than it...including the goldberg stuff, the H9 ones, the Great Planes Yak, and even the all-mighty QQ Yak 85" wasn't much more stable than this plane. It's an awesome plane if i've ever seen one.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
busted blade

Just in case anyone might be interested in a different/replacement set of landing gear. I did some checking around for new gear to put in this plane because I am totally unhappy with quality and specifically the angles to which they put the wheels at. I ran across these and ordered them. They are surprisingly an exact/direct bolt in to replace the cheezy black gear. Absolutley no modifications had to be done to install them and they seem to be strong enough for the weight of the plane. All bolt holes lign up perfectly too, doesnt get any easier. Only time will tell if they will hold up.

Now I am finally interested in this plane again and have resumed building on it.

Here are some pictures and a link, If anyone might be interested.

Link:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGYX5&P=0
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31271.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	784852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi22147.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	784853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19036.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	784854  
Old 10-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Pete1burn

Wish I had seen that before I sent in my last Tower order! (Which just happened to arrive today.) You're right. When I put on the landing gear I looked at the instructions like 5 times because I figured there was no way they would have purposely put in that much camber.

Thanks for the pics of the fuel tank. I don't know if I have any Dubro tanks big enough, but I'll look around. I don't want to cut into the formers or anything, but it looks like I might have to.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:46 AM
Flying freak

What kind of servos did you guys use are jr 821's enough [&:]?

ps what do you think of an os .91 4c for those airplane?

Steven
Old 10-18-2007, 04:55 PM
victorzamora

I used straight S3004's on all surfaces, except for an S3010 on the rudder and it was enough for me.

An OS FS91 isn't really what I'd call short on power. I don't think it would be ballistic, but not much is. I had a Saito 100 on mine spinning an APC 15x4W, which was a stout little engine with more than enough power. I don't think you'll go wrong with an OS FS91, but you will have to figure out how to shift some weight rearward. Even with a much lighter engine, and a pull-pull on the rudder, and everything as far back as possible the plane was still a TOUCH nose heavy. If you put the elevator servos in the tail, it should balance out just fine. You're going to love this plane!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Flying freak

Well im goign to put the rudder servo in the pack and the ele in the fuse and see were i need to go from there should work out fine....
Old 10-18-2007, 05:26 PM
victorzamora

not much lead should be required in the tail then. By the way, the split-pushrod system the plane comes with is a pain to set-up but works pretty well once it's done.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Flying freak

il try my best to not have to add lead its kinda one thing i hate doing i figure if i move the servo in back the battery back and the switch back (you'd be surprised what you can accomplish by moving a switch)

im going to use a standered (size) servo for the throttle because thats what i have laying around, i may make a mount for it or place it were the rudder servo would go for optional pull pull all of this should be more then enough ,

also between the 14x4
and 15x4 what prop would you recommend?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:07 PM
victorzamora

I don't really have much experience with flying that engine, and I've only seen a 15x6 or a 14x6 run on it. If you're using a good quality fuel, and not leaning out the engine too much...I think that the APC 15x4W would be the best prop to use. The Saito 100 had a bit more power than the OS FS91, and it seemed to want the 16x4W...so I think the 15x4W would give the plane great power. BTW, the APC Wide-blade props are the most amazing things...they create SUCH good torque and low-rev pull. I think the 14x4's a great prop on a smaller engine (say, Saito 82) and it'll definitely be less load on the 91, but that extra inch of diameter really helps more than an extra 300 rpm. Go with the 15x4W and I do not believe you'll be disappointed. Just make sure it's tuned well, and after the first couple flights that it shows no signs of overheating. I think that prop/engine combo will be amazing on the plane! Hope it balances well.

PS, I know what you mean about adding lead[:'(]. never good, but I DID have to add some to my Tribute 36 to balance the 46AX i stuffed (literally) in the nose...but[:-], no one's supposed to know. The thing climbs vertically at about 40% power (not throttle, but power...actual RPM #'s)!!! Great little 3D trainer!!
Old 10-19-2007, 05:57 AM
Flying freak

so 15x4W it is the only thign left is should i start out with a 14x4w as its a new never run engine.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 PM
victorzamora

From what I've heard, it doesn't matter. As long as you're running the engine rich during break-in and the first few flights, it shouldn't matter. My personal opinion, slap a 13x6 on it for your ground-runs and then throw one the APC 15x4W for your first flight. It'll be amazing in the air, I have no doubt. Cruise the plane around the course one or two laps, just enough to trim out the plane. By then, you'll be DYING to slam the sticks around. Do a couple snap rolls and enjoy how amazing they are. Also, try Knife Edge and stall characteristics. Give hovers and elevators and harriers and stuff at least 3 or 4 flights. Not for the plane, but for the engine to be completely broken-in. The plane inspires confidence, and is good enough to back it up.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 AM
Flying freak

oo man this is gonna be fun [8D] just gotta keep things under control the first few flights as im doing to running different wings for a science project then il throw the stock ones on and try my hand at 3d
Old 10-29-2007, 01:05 PM
pinguecola

hello guys !
i bought an edge and i am building it:
O.S. 70 fs ultimate- two mini servos in the tail for elev.- one 645mg for rudder in the middle. - one micro for throttle.- batteries in the rear of the firewall.
did you think it will fly ? i am afraid it will be too eavy for hover, but surely i'll have low wing load.
ciao francesco
Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM
victorzamora

It will fly, and well...that plane has that tendency. It will also have good wing loading, especially seeing that the Zivko Edge design can tolerate a higher wing loading without adverse effects. The FS-70 will probably hover it, even if it's near full throttle. The 70 is more meant for 46-sized planes.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 AM
pinguecola

thank u victor,
i have a saito 91, may be i am wrong and saito would be a better choice, but i have allready drilled motor mount.
i shall let you know.
ciao francesco

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.