Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtana X100

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtana X100

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
butternifedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Funtana X100

Mixmaster,

I would strap the battery in for the maiden just to satisfy what you suspect. Verify It will fly great with the CG up there and when all goes well, remove the weight and have an animal of a 3d machine after you see that it is not too squirrelly. Best of luck and let us know how fun it is!!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:49 PM
TrysTo3D

Hey DP

Now I understand what you meant about selling your 90 before it crashed. Young fellow offered to buy it at a fly-in last Sat and yesterday the rudder servo quit at full right in a KE. Now I need to decide what to put the 160 in next. How does the 100X compare to the 90 in a harrier as far as the amount wing rock and being able to steer it around with even a light wind?

Thanks,
George
Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
MIXMASTER
My Feedback: (15)

Roger that, I'm not taking any unecessary risks. I'm going to break in the engine tonight so I can just enjoy flying on Sat.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

mixmaster...

8.2LBS! Wow! That thing is as light as a feather. What engine? That is good news to hear several are coming in at 8.5 lbs or less. That is a pretty good weight for me and the mighty 110.

Dang...I guess I better get one of these on order.

Thanks
Barry
Old 08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
MIXMASTER

Its true, but now for the bad news,its tail heavy. I have the battery pack against firewall and the CG is about 7.75,the recommended CG is 6.75. I strapped on another battery underneath the engine box and with a full tank the CG is right on. So now the weight is closer to 8.5 I would imagine. I have a Sa 1.25,the YS 1.10 would be a good choice,great power,light and throttle response second to none. I thought I would not go with another 4-st but here I am again. MAIDEN-in about 6 hours,then at sunset,camping,fire,beer,food,more beer,more food,did I say beer? Life is good!
Old 08-25-2006, 08:54 AM
MIXMASTER

Oh, almost forgot,shortly after the sun comes up on Sat,a little more grill'in(breakfast),flying all day long(Giles & X100)& then on Sat. night , I go home and pass out-I'll be pooped by then! Life is short-play hard!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:13 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a little heads-up on the FuntanaX 100.

After a number of flights with no prop strikes and only one "backfire" of the Saito 125, I found my firewall to be disconnected at 2 of the 4 sides, top and pilot's right.

It looked as if the "glue guy" took a break to refill his glue gun. No adhesive was seen on edges of firewall and on triangle stock inside fuselage.

The other 2 sides were strong enough to survive prying the firewall out of the engine box sides for inspection.

The firewall is laser cut, and that process melted the glue holding the plys together, making the edges look shiny.

That means that no adhesive, no matter how much, could be absorbed into the firewall.

I added some 30 minute epoxy to all surfaces after roughing up the firewall edges with sandpaper, down to bare wood.

I added more epoxy inside to the triangle stock which was still firmly attached to the fuselage side.

Then I pegged the firewall to the fuselage with 4 or 5 pieces of 1/8" dowel on each side.

I used yellow glue because that will swell up the dowels and get them really tight.

I don't think the firewall will get loose again.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Adam G

A few pages back I wieghed all of the parts to this plane seperately and came up with a total of 8lbs 9 ounces. I mentioned I would wiegh the plane assembled, and report back. The plane all together wieghs 8lbs 6 ounces. I think the reason for this is just extra parts. I didn't use the wheel pants. I used about half the fuel tubing I wieghed. I also went to a true turn spinner and it is a little lighter than the one I wieghed. I could drop off a good ounce to an ounce and a half by switching to an electron 6 reciever over a standard 2 ounce Futaba and get her down another ounce and a half.

I initially added 3 ounces of lead to the nose to achieve the recommended CG. I took it off because I want a more aft CG anyway. I may even move the battery pack back a bit to get the CG back even further. At 8lbs 6ounces the 125 moves the plane around very well. It hovers about 3/4 throttle, and pulls out of the hover at WOT. I could see wanting more power than the 125. I would say that it is definately not overpowered. It is nice keeping her light though. The thing just floats like a kite up there. Makes for good knife edges and excellent harrier manuevers and landings.

Adam
Old 08-25-2006, 09:32 AM
Barry Cazier

mixmaster...

The mighty 110 is about 4 ozs heavier than the Saito 125. That extra weight would be right out on the front of the fuse. That would be handy in this situation. Maybe the CG would be about right. And if I could keep it at about 8.5lbs I'd be very happy.

I look forward to your maiden flight reports.

thanks
Barry
Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 PM
kempo

this plane is sick with a os1.20ax you can clime forever vary light hoover at half throttle. its a 90 size block with 25% more power i swing a 15+6 prop and is stable in a hoover
Old 08-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: kempo

this plane is sick with a os1.20ax you can clime forever vary light hoover at half throttle. its a 90 size block with 25% more power i swing a 15+6 prop and is stable in a hoover

Yea, your right the X100 is unreal with the 120 AX. Thats what I had in mine before flutter took it out 2 weeks ago..........the wing servos stripped out I believe. Part of the left wing and aileron blew off. Plane was a total lost but did save the engine. Anyway, I've got a saito 125 in this new X100 and much stronger servos. We'll see how it flys. Sewerdude
Old 08-26-2006, 07:15 PM
islandflyer

I finally finished building mine, and did 4 flights today to start breaking in my Saito 1.50.
As much as I have been enjoying my F 90, this one flies lighter and smoother.
More to come as the motor breaks in.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:18 PM
kooljb

Sewerdude, Hey I had the same thing happen to mine 2 weeks ago, I had JR821s new digtials in the plane and Likewise bought another 100X and put in 5625 digtials but debating about sending the plane back to horizon. I lost the plane on the maiden flight within 4 minutes after takeoff just flighting a 1/3 throttle just getting the feel of the plane when the right aileron blew off.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:49 PM
ChopperMan33

Hi guys: Can someone shed some light on engine mounting for me...I have mounted a saito 120 and it seems to be off too far to the right hand side of the plane! The tip of the spinner is about half inch to far to the right. Could this be cause of the right hand thrust? Little help on how to get the measurment right would be awesome
Thanks!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:17 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: pettit

After a number of flights with no prop strikes and only one "backfire" of the Saito 125, I found my firewall to be disconnected at 2 of the 4 sides, top and pilot's right.

It looked as if the "glue guy" took a break to refill his glue gun. No adhesive was seen on edges of firewall and on triangle stock inside fuselage.
Hello Dick. It's ironic you're reporting this now, because the exact same thing happened to a friend at my field Thursday evening. He had previously flown the plane with an EVO 100, and then mounted a new Saito 125 on his Funtana X100. He ran a tank through it very slow and rich, and then the next time he tried to start it his firewall came loose.

A few years ago on my F90, I moved the firewall back 1/2" to accommodate a Saito 180 to avoid creating a big gap behind the spinner due to the longer engine. When I saber sawed the old firewall off, I was really surprised to see the remainder of the engine box just fall apart. As in your case, it was obvious that the glue had not penetrated into the wood at the corner joints, and very little glue was actually in the joints.

I guess that same engine box assembly guy still works there...
Old 08-27-2006, 12:27 AM
Sewerdude
My Feedback: (20)

I've got a Saito 125 in my X 100 . I know alot of you are using the same combo. The problem I'm having is the muffler doesnt seem to stick out of the cowl enough. I ran a couple of tanks on the ground through the Saito 125 and noticed the cowl was burnt in a small area and actually peeled some of the covering back under the cowl on the fuse from the exhaust blast. I thought the muffler would be sticking out enough ,but I was wrong. About 1/3 of the muffler is still restricted by the cowl. I tried cutting more cowl out with my Dremel but I dont think its going to be any better. So my question is , how do I solve this problem? Did you guys use some type of muffler extension on the 125. I'm sure I'm not the only one that ran into this problem. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks, Sewerdude
Old 08-27-2006, 03:42 AM
islandflyer

I use a muffler extension. I also extended the engine back plate oil nipple out of the bottom of the cowl with fuel tubing. It all stays fairly clean in there now.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:15 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Are there any vids out there? I have searched and searched..nothing [].
Will probably pick one up soon,just have to come up with a good excuse
Old 08-28-2006, 08:44 AM
aerobatixkid

Good idea to pin the firewall with BBQ skeweres or nails. The reports about flutter with this one make me not even want to build it, it's been sitting on a bar stool waiting for me to align the stab and glue it for 3 weeks in the middle of the room, thats how lazy I am. Anyone put a Saito 1.50 on it yet?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:06 AM
DPRC

TT3d,

My 100 does not wing rock near like my 90. I have never been good at harier, but I'm staring to do a lot better with this plane. Did not get to fly this weekend, kinda bummed. If you liked your 90, you will love a 100.
dp
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 AM
MIXMASTER

GOOD MAIDEN:8 flights,no problems with fire wall,flutter. The first 3 flights were without the SFG's and it rocked like a Mother_)&^&&*%$!!!! Holding full right ail almost controlled the rock, but not quite. It was definately tail heavy,climbs inverted hands off. Mixed in a little spoilerons for landing & then it would at least drop continuously with the nose up slightly. With out the mix, I had to flare with down elevator. Man this thing flys so light & pretty slow but its also incredibly precise,point rolls & rolling circles look like a 40%. NOW FOR THE GREAT NEWS: PUT THE SFG'S ON,ROCK SOLID IN HARRIERS & ELEVATORS EVEN IN 15-20MPH WINDS. AWESOME WALLS,ROLLING HARRIERS ARE E A S Y!!! It looks like it will hover well too,I need more time and possibly some up-thrust. My best hover was up high and only 5-10 seconds but for a new plane, I think with more time on it I'll get it down. I cant believe how well it flys, even in some wind,being so light you'd think it would be all over but its smooth and penetrates the wind. On a first impression, this looks to be the best 3-D'er I have ever had. I've never had so much fun on the first time out,I didnt get very low except one time in an elevator down to 5 feet,a gust pushed it right towards me and I had a panic exit. I was having fun with the wind,the elevators into the wind dropped straight down,little or no forward movement & it was still steady until it got gusty.This is a KEEPER,I might get another one right now,its worth any tweaking needed. I might cut the bottoms partially off the SFG's,they are too close to the ground for harrier landings,just an inch or 2 should make a difference. I moved the fuel tank back up front where it was intended to be,had to put the battery under the engine box. The CG should be a little better with fuel in the tank,will have to see. I'm going to finish the Do for sentimental reasons and until I can tail touch with another plane,the Do will still be a lot of fun. But I think this X100 does everything well,it excells where the Do cannot.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
butternifedge

MIXMASTER,

Glad to hear you had a great maiden day. If you go with Graphtech gear you get another inch of clearance, Kavan 4" tires give almost another inch with no weight penalty. I harrier tail land in ruff grass and have lots of SFG clearance with this setup (I did have to loose the wheelpants for the extra clearance, but it works for me).

-Dan
Old 08-28-2006, 11:34 AM
MIXMASTER

Did you use the stock tail wheel? I have trouble with tail wheels bending & breaking constanlty on the Do when I harrier land.(whats the part # for the Graphtec?)
Old 08-28-2006, 12:07 PM
butternifedge

NO way on the stock wheel. Get the Sullavan tail wheel rated for 22 lb planes (it is the only one that has a brass bushing so the spring wire doesn't wear the opening and create side slop quickly. Then to save weight and more importantly it works great, take a #2 (or 3mm, i can't remember here at work) washer and slide it (it is very tight to get started and then slides nice) on the tailwheel axel assy. then slide on your favorite tail wheel on the axel, solder the washer to the axel. Then slide another washer on the axel and solder on the other side. Done! If you ever have to change a wheel just heat the solder and slide the washer off. Never loose a wheel collar due to lost set screw in flight. You can bend the spring for steering to go up into the rudder. I usually take a servo screw and tap it up into the bottom of the rudder and bend the spring wire arround the screw then screw it into the hardened hole into the rudder.

-Dan
Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 PM
butternifedge

Almost forgot...

http://www.graphtechrc.com/Secure/mall/maingear.asp

#128 gear

-Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.