Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 02:45 AM
fayrwerks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Would mounting 2stroke .46 inverted work with the reactor?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:49 AM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: fayrwerks

I don't see any reason why not. It would put the muffler hanging out the left side of the cowl unless you use a pitts muffler, but I'm sure you already realized that.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:31 AM
malcolmm

ORIGINAL: JustErik

I don't see any reason why not. It would put the muffler hanging out the left side of the cowl unless you use a pitts muffler, but I'm sure you already realized that.
I guess you could mount it inverted, but I'm not sure why you would want to. The Reactor is designed for 2 strokes to be mounted 45 degrees from inverted, so that the stock muffler fits in a small tunnel under the fuselage.

I've just about finished fitting an OS 55 AX to a Reactor. It has worked out okay, although there was a small amount of cutting to get the muffler to fit into the tunnel. Also, more cutting of the cowl was required than I am use to with 2 strokes. I will post pictures when I am done.

Malcolm
Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 AM
jusplanecrazy

Erik, Can,t find anything on a elbow for my Saito 80..Do you have a web address for Performance Speciaties.Maybe they can fix me up..Thanks..Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 PM
JustErik

Justplanecrazy,

There site is here, but I'm not familiar enough with their product line to know if they do Saito stuff. I bet one of the Saito gurus in the Club Saito thread could tell you where to get one. They are REAL quick to answer. I asked a question about a velocity stack for my Saito 100 and it was answered in very short order.

Hope this helps....

Erik

Edit: After poking around a little on the PS website, I found that they do indeed make elbows that fit Saitos. However, they only seem to package them with mufflers. I'd call or email them to get the details and see if they have what you want.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:41 PM
jusplanecrazy

Erik, Another thought . Wonder if my existing elbow,which is what 70-75 degrees,could be heated and bent to 90 ? Would not try it myself,but maybe some talented machinist could do it. Club Saito suggested a Turbomuffler,which is a real nice piece,and he claims
it not only gives a power boost,but will fit inside most cowels. Have to buy the elbow ,and muffler from Perf-Spec.The Saito muffler won,t fit thier elbow.How convenient is that ? On top of that you have to install your own pressure fitting in the muffler. It,s $70
iehter way,so if I can,t get this elbow bent, I think I,m going to go with the Turbomuffler....Backatcha later..Bill
Old 02-22-2007, 04:17 PM
JustErik

Bill,

It seems " just plain crazy" that no one makes a simple 90-degree elbow that fits an engine as popular as your Saito. Bending the existing unit might work. I suppose the worst that would happen is that you have to buy another one, which sounds like what you may end up doing after all. That turbomuffler looks like a good option. I considered one for my 100, but couldn't justify it since the stock muffler will work fine on my MoJo.

Erik

Edit:

Bill, check this out.

It's a 90-degree adapter made by Saito. I don't know if it fits your engine, but it's worth a little investigation....and it's VERY inexpensive compared to a whole new muffler. If you go here, it looks like a complete listing of all the Saito parts.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:16 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi JustErik,
I ordered two of these 90 degree elbows last week------rather backordered them. Have you used them and do they stay attached to the engine without any special precautions? Do they leak any more than the stock muff.pipe???????? Thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Ernie Misner

Didn't I see somewhere on Horizon's site that the 90 degree elbow for the mid-size Saitos won't be available for a while yet?

Ernie
Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ernie, When I ordered them (over the phone) they weren't available and the order taker didn't know when they would be in. I see in the Just Trains website that they may be available. I have found that stuff can be out of stock even though listed on a website more than once, so I prefer to call to get the straight scoop. I may call Just Trains and see it the actually have it.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Ernie Misner

Just Trains is a new one to me. I ran a search for their website but didn't see anything besides.... yep, trains! Somewhere they must have some airplane stuff though?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 AM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: GarySS

Hi JustErik,
I ordered two of these 90 degree elbows last week------rather backordered them. Have you used them and do they stay attached to the engine without any special precautions? Do they leak any more than the stock muff.pipe???????? Thanks

Gary,

I haven't actually used one of these. I've read that the best way to keep them on is to install them with teflon plumbers tape, run the engine a minute or two to heat everything up, and then do a final tightening. If and when I use one, that's what I'll try.

Erik
Old 02-24-2007, 06:29 AM
bluehawkbm

Guys go to post 183 and look at the muffler on mine. I have a magmum 70 and just used standard muffler. Granted it would look better with the muffler tucked under the plane, but I think mine looks ok and didn't have to go to all that hassle. I just had to cut the corner of the cowl for nessecary clearance. BTW i'm jealous of you guys putting Saito 82's on yours. That is going to be wonderful power for this plane considering the Mag 70 hovers the plane and pulls out pretty good.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Ernie Misner

>>> I've read that the best way to keep them on is to install them with teflon plumbers tape, run the engine a minute or two to heat everything up, and then do a final tightening. If and when I use one, that's what I'll try. >>>

Just like with the muffler instalation.

Ernie
Old 02-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Ernie Misner

For anyone who is curious, the 90 degree muffler elbow for the Saito 82 is due mid-march.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAI65140

Ernie
Old 02-26-2007, 01:48 PM
jusplanecrazy

Hey Gary, Been everywhere I can think of to find those adaptors..Strange thing.Talked to the guy at wholesaletrains.com.He say these things have beenaround for years,and all of a sudden,everyone wants one..His stock is sold out,and yep ,you guessed it .No more til March or April..So,I,m giving up the search.Will wait til they come in..Apreciate all the help from you guys out ther.Know where to go if I need help on anything from now on..Bill
Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 AM
fayrwerks

ORIGINAL: malcolmm

ORIGINAL: JustErik

I guess you could mount it inverted, but I'm not sure why you would want to. The Reactor is designed for 2 strokes to be mounted 45 degrees from inverted, so that the stock muffler fits in a small tunnel under the fuselage.

I've just about finished fitting an OS 55 AX to a Reactor. It has worked out okay, although there was a small amount of cutting to get the muffler to fit into the tunnel. Also, more cutting of the cowl was required than I am use to with 2 strokes. I will post pictures when I am done.

Malcolm
i dont want to cut too many portions on the cowl so I'm planning on doing it like the engine placement on the venus 40. inverted and few mods on the cowl.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:35 AM
Flying Scotsman 70

oh my god i reli wanna this plane!! however i just got a Funtana 46 so i guess ill have to wait a while
Old 02-27-2007, 11:55 AM
RCAA
My Feedback: (4)

Robert, I noticed that you used the OS 70 which I am planning on using but have a few questions on mounting this four stroke. The VERTICAL center line on my firewall is "off center" by one-fourth of an inch toward the left wing. Is this on purpose or did they "mismark" mine? The horizontal center line is per the picture on Page 18 of the manual. I have never mounted an engine off the centerline before. Is this correct or did you have to re-measure yours to mount the OS 70? It would throw the cowl off too if you mounted it as they have it marked. Also, did you offset your engine by mounting in slightly down and to the right to compensate for torque?

Appreciate any input on this issue -- Thanks !
Tony
Old 02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Hi Tony,

Actually, I am not using an OS .70, but a YS .63. Maybe you are confused because I am using the OS 90-degree adapter to route the muffler out under the cowl (instead of out the side).

The firewall markings are correct-- the vertical center-line is offset to account for the built-in right-thrust of the firewall. No need to second-guess G.P here!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:05 PM
RCAA

Thanks, Robert -- Sorry about that as I must have misread the thread as you stated. Won't this throw off the centerline for the cowl or will the prop shaft still come out of the center of the cowl ? I don't want mine to look funny with this offset.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:25 PM
RobertC

It will not look funny at all-- the cowl is designed to accomodate the firewall offset (so the backplate of the spinner will be-- well, should be-- flat against the front of the cowl).

Good luck with yours! You will love this plane. I have had several more flights on it since the first and it is really holding-up well. Still have the issue with the gear being too far back (I fly off grass), but everything else is fantastic!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:36 PM
RCAA

Thanks again, Robert. You guys have have been great on this forum regarding the Reactor. I've been following ALL the updates and have used the ideas in building mine. It should be ready next week and I'm anxious to fly it. I will mount it exactly to plan. This really is a good looking plane.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 AM
jusplanecrazy

Hey Guys , We fly off grass over here in NW Ohio.I,m really wondering if the cause for nose overs could be the gear being mid mounted on the fuse instead of on the bottom.Does not really seem that far rearward to me .It,s just about at the leading edge.My wheel pants are going to be just for the static shows..Our field EATS wheel pants..Also,whenever I,ve had a nose over problem,I,ve gone to a bigger wheel.The nose over is usually caused by the small wheels hanging up in the uneven field.Mine isn,t ready yet,but when it is I,m going to 2 3/4 inch wheels to start,and see how it goes....Bill
Old 02-28-2007, 12:03 PM
RobertC

I don't think that the problem has anything to do with the mid-mounted gear. It does look (to me also) like the wheels are right about even with the leading-edge of the wing, but I can assure you that there is still the nose-over tendency! My first thought was that the tail-wheel is holding the rear of the plane too high and, with a slightly nose-heavy C.G., allowing the plane to tip too easily. The vertical stab also extends a bit below the fuselage (one of the coolest parts of the airframe!) which also helps keep the tail too high. May not be related at all, but just a thought.

I also looked at moving the gear forward but there is a former in the way (and I would really hate to cut that out). Others on this thread have shown solutions that may also work.

I fly off grass also and this is the first plane that I have not had *any* problems with the wheel-pants coming off the gear or cracking. True, I haven't put that many flights on the plane yet but the pants are still flawless! I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.