Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Guillermito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Reactor GP/EP 3D ARF .46-.70

Hello, very pretty the model! you used the accessories of kit? also hinges CA?
Thank you very much.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:14 PM
FNG

ORIGINAL: Guillermito

Hello, very pretty the model! you used the accessories of kit? also hinges CA?
Thank you very much.
I used Rocket city ball links at the control horns and z bends at the servo, not the supplied plastic clevis and 90' bend/clevis supplied. Otherwise all supplied hardware.

I flew mine today! Its a keeper, I need to move my CG aft abit I think. Very forgiving and very capable airplane. The OS 70 FS II Surpass pulls it verticle from a hover at a comfortable rate (still running rich).

I'm looking forward to having somemore time to get this one dailed in! My 4 year old and 6 1/2 year old girls were with me today and I didn't get too much done, just 3 short flights.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:59 AM
likestofly
My Feedback: (2)

Regarding the c.g., after 3 more flights today, I`m also moving my cg back about 1/4 " from what the manual stated. The more I fly it ,the more I like it ! Tower hobbies list the OS manifold with the plane, and someone else posted a direct link to also.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:10 PM
JustErik

Well, after checking out the exhaust manifold linked above, I determined that it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Instead, I got a 90 degree elbow from Performance Specialties.

They offer them in 30, 45, 75 and 90 degrees and the price is the same as the OS item from Tower. Hopefully this will fit entirely inside the cowl. Mark and likestofly, did you have to relieve the side of the cowl or just cut a hole in the bottom?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 PM
FNG

ORIGINAL: JustErik

Mark and likestofly, did you have to relieve the side of the cowl or just cut a hole in the bottom?
only holes in the side are for my needle valves, the OS inside adapter keeps it well away from the inside (side) of the cowl.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:00 PM
JustErik

Excellent news! I'm hoping for the same results.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Ernie Misner

Were those JR servos used in the tail standard or mini size?

Thanks!

Ernie
Old 12-31-2006, 02:47 PM
JustErik

Ernie, I was curious about those servos as well. As near as I can tell, the JR 811 is a standard size digital servo that weighs about 1.6 ounces. I found that info on [link=http://www.modelflight.com.au/include/jr_servo_specifications.htm]this page[/link].

Erik
Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 AM
Ernie Misner

Thanks Erik. When I get a Reactor I might just put standard sizers in the tail to help balance the Saito 82 also.

Ernie
Old 01-06-2007, 09:39 PM
swish696

Hey Guys
I agree!! This one is a keeper. I have about 5 flights on this one. It can do everthing that my Giant UCD but smoother. Harriers, waterfalls, torque rolls, blenders, it will even flat spin. The setup- Saito 82 apc 14/4w Hitec HS 5625 Ailerons yes full size will fit. In the tail Futaba 9001 elevator 9202 Ruter HS 81 on the Throttle. Came in 6 lb even. There CG is a little off. I have move back a half inch farther than there rec. And may still move back tad more. With this combo plane has unlimited verticle. Pulls out of a hover with authority. This plane is really one of the greatest planes I have flown. Flies like a UCD but without the floaty trainer tendencies. Hopefully they will bring out a 120 size. I will be first in line.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey swish696,
Questions: Did you substitute any control hardware in your Reactor? Is kit hardware of the 4-40 weight/strength? What did you use for a battery? Thanks!!!!! GarySS
Old 01-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Celidon

I am getting ready to put my tail servos in and have three HiTEC HS 625MG servos weighing in at 1.94 ounces each. The three together will be about 1.5 ounces heavier than anything listed in the manual. Anyone think that will be to much weight in the tail?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 PM
JustErik

ORIGINAL: Celidon

I am getting ready to put my tail servos in and have three HiTEC HS 625MG servos weighing in at 1.94 ounces each. The three together will be about 1.5 ounces heavier than anything listed in the manual. Anyone think that will be to much weight in the tail?
Celidon,

I think a lot will depend on your other equipment choices. A heavy engine (OS .70, for instance) will negate some of the extra weight. Also, the size of your battery pack and where you place it will make a big difference. I would try to keep everything as far forward as possible and see how it works out.

Erik

PS - keep us posted and share some pics of your install. I love to see how others have assembled their plane. If you're interested, I've posted some pics in this thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Celidon

I will be running an Evolution 46 NT. I had it on a Twist 40 that I put in the ground in the fall. It has a lot of power. I will keep you posted.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:43 AM
swish696

Gary
I used all 4-40 and Great Planes ball links on both ends of all control rods. 2000ma nmh placed as far back under the hatch as possible. But I will need to move it back even further. The only problem that I have run into is the landing gear is to soft. It really flexes on take offs and landings. Anybody heard of aftermarket landing gear??
Old 01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swish696, I wondering about that landing gear--------it looks great/sexy, but sure is long and creates a lot of leverage. At six pounds you are still within Great PLanes weight range so your 4-40 hardware and standard size servos shouldn't be called into question. That is just what I would do in this 3D aircraft.

Are you flying off of grass? How smooth is the field/ how short is the grass, etc.? Can you live with the gear? Do you still have the wheel pants on? Thanks!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
swish696

Gary
I am flying off of a mat runway. Wheelpants are on the plane with slightly modified to fit 2 3/4 inch foam wheels. It will land with a very soft landing but I did touch the prop with one landing. Looking to find some carbon fiber landing gear so that it will withstand harrier landings. Weather has been bad to do much testing with the plane but love it so far. Maybe get a break to fly this weekend.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Ernie Misner

Swish, let us know if you can find CF gear similar to the stock gear.

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

For anybody interested in a YS .63 install (in an inverted position) here are some pictures of what the "modifications" are needed to the cowling. I have not finished cutting-- this is just the minimum needed to mount the cowl. I toyed with the idea of using the stock muffler but the hole required was massive. I ordered a 90-degree elbow and will open-up the lower cowl for cooling and exhaust.

Last picture shows the throttle-servo mount. GP nicely provided two pre-cut servo mounts-- one of which fits the HS-81 perfectly! I mounted my tank on the C.G., and you can see the switch and fuel-dot forward of that (the "recommended" place to mount the switch is blocked when the tank is mounted in this manner).

Also, I am running clone versions of the Hitec 225MG (Tower TS-35MG; same specs as far as I can tell). I expected them to "drop right in" but (as anybody who has seen Erik's build thread on this plane) that was not quite the case. I replaced the plastic clevises at the control horns with metal and used Z-bends to connect the rod to the servos.

ARF went together really nicely. Haven't quite finished the build but it will certainly be under 6lbs. Should be fun (if the weather ever returns to normal here in the Seattle-area)!

P.S. Erik, nice job on the build thread!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95340.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	595655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55344.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	595656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48685.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	595657  
Old 01-11-2007, 03:20 PM
JustErik

Robert,

Thanks a HEAP for the pics and description of your YS install. I'll be tackling mine within next few days and your input is very valuable. Like you, I ordered a 90 degree adaptor (Pricey with a capital P!!!) and hope to avoid hacking up the cowl too much. I'm anxious to see what your openings look like when completed. Is that the stock tank in place or a different one? I have a Dubro tank that I was going to use, at least initially. The stock tank feels very stout, but you often read about how YS engines are rough on normal tanks so I thought I should replace it. What are your thoughts? In case it's not obvious, I've never had a YS before so this is a learning experience for me.

In other news, I just ordered a 4 foot carbon fiber tube the same diameter as the wing tube in an attempt to shave an ounce or two. It was over $30, but I figure I can cut three tubes and have a couple spares or perhaps use them in a future plane that has the same size tube.

Edited to add: Robert, did you use a spacer to get the necessary clearance for the cowl? I made a 3/16" spacer out of ply to move the mount forward enough to match the measurements in the manual and also allow me to move the engine back a bit from the very front of the mount. Did you use the supplied mount or a different one? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:38 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

No problem at all, Erik! I am more than happy to help...

Tank: I used the "stock" tank here and in the past on my UCanDo .60 with a YS .91 in it. Never had a problem with that tank (well, ok, the stopper *did* leak once when it had been sitting for a few months... my fault, the bolt had untightened) and I don't expect a problem with this one. Some have recommended that you wrap the tank with strapping-tape to prevent a rupture. I didn't, but I guess that it can't hurt if you have some on hand.

As an aside, you will *love* the YS! Don't believe all the horror-stories you read about tuning... it's not that hard.

Cowl: I did mount my YS right at the end of the supplied GP mount (like you did in your build-thread), but I didn't worry about getting it to be *exactly* the right distance. Besides, I will likely want to move the C.G. rearward and the further out the engine is mounted the harder it will be to do this. I also want to keep the weight down to a minimum and adding anything adds weight (ok, I'm pretty sure that a plywood spacer will not make a big difference)!

As for making sure that the painted portion of the cowl lines-up with the fuselage, just make sure that you "pull" the cowling towards the bottom of the plane when mounting (in other words, it should be nice and tight on the upper <curved> area of the fuselage).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26234.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	595751  
Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Ernie Misner

Heeey, I'm off to look at those Tower 35MG servos....

Do you guys see any problem with mounting my Saito 82 horizontally when I get my Reactor?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 01-11-2007, 09:05 PM
bluehawkbm

Ernie,

The Saito 82 would be my engine of choice. I have one in a ModelTech Magic Formula 3d which is a heavier plane and it pulls out of a hover pretty well. Go with a 15x4 APC prop and you will love it. By the way the Saito 81 is lighter than the Magnum 70 four stroke that I have for the Reactor. If I didn't already have the Magnum I would go with the Saito 82.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 PM
bluehawkbm

Ernie,

Mounting the engine inverted will most likely be your best bet. The Saito runs great inverted
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 PM
JustErik

Robert,

Thanks for sharing all the details. I got the engine mounted tonight. I did end up using a 3/16" plywood spacer and I was actually anal enough to weigh it: 7 grams or a little under 1/3 of an ounce. If I'm not happy with the way the cowl mounts, I may end up removing it, but I haven't reached that point yet. I will go ahead and use the supplied tank. I noticed there was no padding around your tank. Have you just not gotten to it yet, or is it not necessary in your experience?

Thanks again,

Erik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.