Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:41 PM
icrashbipes
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Just finished mine this afternoon, came in at 11.2lbs w/ saito 180 and one 5 cell pack.
I also balanced about 1 1/4" aft of the 6" CG starting point w/ my 5 cell pack mounted right behind the firewall so the gasser application should be a piece of cake balance-wise. Think I'm gonna add a couple of ounces of lead to the firewall before first flights to be safe, nothing else I can move forward. Will post picks after first flight Saturday.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 PM
icrashbipes

Ok, couldn't wait till Saturday. Test flew today in 15mph winds and all went perfectly. Saito was sloppy rich and I was only getting 7-8 minute flights out of the stock tank but I was able to squeeze 4 flights in after work today. Plane flies as everyone expects it to, like a kite. Due to the wind and my rich motor setting, I was not able to put it through it's paces but I can tell you that she is a true "floater". KE required just a touch of up elevator. and all landings were butter soft even one deadstick. I cannot wait to lean this engine out and start having some fun with this yak, truly a keeper.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 PM
icrashbipes

rollout...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86709.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	560434  
Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool, looks great! Where are the wheelpants?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:25 PM
water.boy

I'm eagerly awaiting the Brillelli/Yak review I have the 40GT and a 140 sized Giles that I haven't finished yet, and I'm already thinking about the Yak combo! I was originally thinking about the QQ 73" Yak, but this one looks like the loading and overall weight would be better. I know that both are very high quality, but I don't know the quality of the hardware in the EF kit. QQ's shows it has titanium rods and other goodies, as well as wing bags. I don't know what comes with the EF, other than it is said to be high quality.

The other thing weighing in is that even though it'd cost a bit more, I'm almost convinced that I need to go up to 50cc size, so that I can fly in the jumbos around here. You need either 80" or 1/4 scale, and the 73/74" is just shy of that. I don't know how many people would gig me on that, but I like to fly with the big boys so that I can learn from them. I'm still looking at the Great Planes 25% Yak, but it seems like it'd be a bit heavy for the 40GT, so the 46 is the next logical step, but then it'd weigh more too, and is on the heavier side of loading.

Arrrgggghhhh......decisions [&:]
Old 11-14-2006, 10:46 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: water.boy

I'm eagerly awaiting the Brillelli/Yak review I have the 40GT and a 140 sized Giles that I haven't finished yet, and I'm already thinking about the Yak combo! I was originally thinking about the QQ 73" Yak, but this one looks like the loading and overall weight would be better. I know that both are very high quality, but I don't know the quality of the hardware in the EF kit. QQ's shows it has titanium rods and other goodies, as well as wing bags. I don't know what comes with the EF, other than it is said to be high quality.

The other thing weighing in is that even though it'd cost a bit more, I'm almost convinced that I need to go up to 50cc size, so that I can fly in the jumbos around here. You need either 80" or 1/4 scale, and the 73/74" is just shy of that. I don't know how many people would gig me on that, but I like to fly with the big boys so that I can learn from them. I'm still looking at the Great Planes 25% Yak, but it seems like it'd be a bit heavy for the 40GT, so the 46 is the next logical step, but then it'd weigh more too, and is on the heavier side of loading.

Arrrgggghhhh......decisions [&:]
I am building one for an RCU review right now and there is a thread here in the 3D forum documenting my progress. I have tons of pictures over there, go check it out!

BTW, I fly giant scale planes and you dont NEED a giant scale plane to fit in. Of course that being said, the bigger the plane all things being equal, the better they fly. But this plane should be a cost effective alternative. A 50CC plane is going to cost you at least $2000 to put together. The 74" Yak should come in at about $1200 give or take depending on equipment.

Now, as far as the 74" EF Yak. The hardware is first class. Everything is done with ball connectors and phenolic horn assemblies. Everything is as good as you could possibly need for a plane this size. After weighing out all of the parts its should come in at about 11 pounds give or take about 3oz.

I have flown the QQ Yak and I think knowing Chris's reputation for great designs, and from what I see of it this is going to be the best flying Yak of its sizr on the market. I honestly do.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4961209/tm.htm
Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 AM
icrashbipes

ORIGINAL: MikeEast

cool, looks great! Where are the wheelpants?

when your running 3.5" sullivans, the wheelpants don't fit but no worries either...
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Jonathan.Lam

is anyone running a ys 140 sport in this?
if yes how well does it perform?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:53 PM
d3sbo

hi all
i need a bit off help.
this is my first airplane well second (helicopter pilot)
well here is what happened i had one scale plane with a saito 170r in her in short did not like it gave the plane away and kept the engine which i only flew 3 times now i have the yak 74!QUOT! with the saito 170r in

what i need help with is props sizes i can pull a 18x6 master airscrew at 7500 rpm on 30% nitro
i just need a bit more power this will prop hang but not left with much left

what size make props would you people try
thanks all
Old 11-19-2006, 08:17 PM
flatlandmike
My Feedback: (17)

APC 17/6w and the 18/6w
Old 11-20-2006, 05:56 PM
d3sbo

thanks
i have got a apc 18x6 wide now
and have a apc 17x8 narrow on order
i will let you know how it goes and some pics
Old 11-22-2006, 12:09 PM
JWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Glad to see some of you are getting them in the air. Keep the reports coming.
Jeff W.
Old 11-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Pale_aileron

Does mounting the engine sideways throw off the lateral balance?
Old 11-23-2006, 08:46 AM
dmparri
My Feedback: (13)

Has anybody came out with CF gear for this A/C?

Will run OS 160 with Pitts muff hard mounted and fly the APC 18 X 6W Have a Saito 180 but decided the vibes too high for this air frame. Hyde mount would help but I can just about buy another 180 for what they cost. By the way guys running the Saito 180 using the hyde mount, what model did you use
Thanks
dmparri
Old 11-30-2006, 06:57 AM
NipponDave

Hello all,

I just joined RC Universe, after a request for a distributor that I look at this thread. Nice to be here...

I found that there had been some pretty heated discussion earlier in the thread, and want to comment briefly.

I differ with Mr. Hinson with respect to the production and testing timeline for the YAK 54 73.5", as to who requested the changes that make it a better electric model, and to the extent of the exclusive that exists for production.

Nonetheless, differences in such particulars are bound to exist. And those differences will be worked out by the principals involved, namely myself and Mr. Hinson.

Please do also keep in mind that the targets for the companies are slightly different. Finalized versions of Hyperion YAK54 73.5" and 85" shipping now are STRICTLY designed for Hyperion Z5025 and Z5045 electric motors (or similar, such as AXI 53..), while EF models are for Gas engine or E-conversion.

In any case, I am sure that EF and HP will continue to get along just fine, and that modelers everywhere will be glad to buy and fly many fine model airplanes from both companies in the years to come...

Best Regards,

David Radford
Director, HP HK LTD
Old 12-10-2006, 06:50 PM
hiflier79

Im building my yak 74 and I am having an issue getting the gas tank into the plane. It seems that the tank will not fit. How do I get it in there? Does anyone know what I can do? Please help.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Indeed it appears that the tank is too big to slip into the airframe... at least that's what has been reported... some are cutting the top of a former out to get it in and re-gluing it in place...

Others might try a different tank...

See this build thread for more info:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49..._1/key_/tm.htm

Old 12-10-2006, 10:55 PM
icrashbipes

i didnt see what the big deal was w/ the tank. it was a tight fit but I got it to go without having to cut anything. Just make sure you have it positioned correctly and it should go with some effort.
I am also switching to the brilleli gasser as I'm not satisfied with the saito 180's performance (and vibration) after break in.
can't wait to get it in the air w/ the new set up.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:23 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

I too found the tank on the big side. There was no way it was going in without forcing things . . and mine is the Hyperion version. I'll be running a gasser so I just fitted a smaller tank

Should be flying mine in a week or two . .
Old 12-11-2006, 05:30 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

ORIGINAL: NipponDave

Please do also keep in mind that the targets for the companies are slightly different. Finalized versions of Hyperion YAK54 73.5" and 85" shipping now are STRICTLY designed for Hyperion Z5025 and Z5045 electric motors (or similar, such as AXI 53..), while EF models are for Gas engine or E-conversion.
Dave, if that's true . . why was my Hyperion YAK supplied with Glow engine mounts, throttle servo mount, and a fuel tank ????

PS . . very very nice ARF ! ! One of the best builds I have seen.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Jonathan.Lam

has anyone got the yak 54 74" with a ys 140 sport?
if yes, wats the performance like?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

a Local LHS employee here in Chicago built one of these. But he has Motor-itis.

He put a Saito 220 in , even after consulting Chris, and he ruined the airplane. Flew terrible, in fact his first words to me during the maiden :

" Mike, did your 68 and 87 fly so bad that it scared you the first time you flew it???"

Me : "no, it was absolutley perfect."

He has since sold the plane to a local collector-pack-rat who will never fly it, and part out the guts.

He complained that it CG'd nose heavy and flew tail heavy. Go figure.

I have since flown one of these with an OS160....the recommended motor, and it is stellar.

It is all in the builder and his choices. IMO. My friend chose badly, giving in to his motor-itis, and notwanting to do the pull-pull correctly, (correct arm and geometery) , servo reccomendations.....

Oh, the 220 tore up the fiewall, too.

Follw Chris' suggestions on all of his planes, you owe it to yourself to try it HIS way first.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:44 AM
flat spin

I completely agree that the setup can make or break a plane and the balance is more critical on some than others but i am still suprised. The 220 is only 1200g and i can't imagine it being much more powerful than a YS 160 running 30% which is a very common setup on this model here in England.

By the way in answer to the previous post, i have had a lot of people come back and say that the 140 is more than adequate in this model. I personally don't think i could resist going for the 160 given that it is the same weight.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 AM
icrashbipes

They are selling the Brillelli 46 gasser as a combo @ the Brillelli website since they ran out of 40's. This also seems like overkill. Both weight and power. And these set ups are being recommended by Extreme Flight. I had vibration pr oblems w/ my saito 180 so personally, I'm waiting on the 40.

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

a Local LHS employee here in Chicago built one of these. But he has Motor-itis.

He put a Saito 220 in , even after consulting Chris, and he ruined the airplane. Flew terrible, in fact his first words to me during the maiden :

" Mike, did your 68 and 87 fly so bad that it scared you the first time you flew it???"

Me : "no, it was absolutley perfect."

He has since sold the plane to a local collector-pack-rat who will never fly it, and part out the guts.

He complained that it CG'd nose heavy and flew tail heavy. Go figure.

I have since flown one of these with an OS160....the recommended motor, and it is stellar.

It is all in the builder and his choices. IMO. My friend chose badly, giving in to his motor-itis, and notwanting to do the pull-pull correctly, (correct arm and geometery) , servo reccomendations.....

Oh, the 220 tore up the fiewall, too.

Follw Chris' suggestions on all of his planes, you owe it to yourself to try it HIS way first.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

I am going to do mine with a gasser after much research. I know a CF pipe will be needed. I just want to wiat and see which of the new offerings turn out ot be reliable.

I can't wait to line up the EF 47, 68, 74, 87,and the rumored 107", and take a family photo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.