Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Old 07-18-2006, 11:04 AM
AcroJo
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

ORIGINAL: wgeffon
That should shut some people up.
Yeah, until the thread moves to the next page and its all history. Back to square one and another bout of beating your head off the wall.
Chris, yourself and your business associates are leading this industry into a new era. Congratulations. Joe
Old 07-18-2006, 12:11 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Thank you Joe. I prefer to stay away from all the controversey and concentrate on delivering a quality product.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Tor

ORIGINAL: Maudib
Your post, without any warrant, simply tried to imply that EF has copied the Hyperion or at the least is having the factory put his name on the same plane...
No, I just said they are identical... Which has just been confirmed by Extreeme Flight.

Funny though, if EF got exclusive on the Yaks, that they did not get the first production batches.

I am going flying the 74" Hyperion/Haikong Yak tomorrow. The latch mechanism is really great, as it's an electrified version it makes access to batteries real easy (by the way the unique latch mechanism is on the 55" Hyperion aswell). What I remember most from my last fligh with it, is that flatspins are real sweet on this model - very flat.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Not funny, just timing.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:21 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

I for one appreciate the honesty and excellent customer service that Extreme Flight offers its customers. I have never understood the individuals that make statements on the forums that question who designed what and were it was built. Simple economics dictate that a few factories in Asia produce the vast majority of ARF planes available on the market, therefore in order to maximize sales in the global market place different versions of the same basic designs are sold under license by various companies. I personally choose to support companies like Extreme Flight based on there location here in North America and good customer service. Its funny but if you go to any automotive event you can here the same arguments only that people are arguing about Ford vs Chevy etc.
p.s. I am also not a real big fan of Yaks but am waiting for something like a maybe a 2m Funtana from the guys at Extreme Flight.

thx Dave
Old 07-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

Thanks for setting the record straight Chris..Glad to see that you are back in the mix again..Ive been flying the 87" Yak and..well everyone knows how good that flies..

Now forget about those slimers..I want another 50cc!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 08:00 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

i agree about chosing a brand you want and using them, i am very happy with ef, after getting my 68 last year, i called chris about the cowl having some minor cracks in it, still usable, but he had a new one on the way when he got them, i also think that was by far the best glow plane i have ever had, not sure if i will get a 74 right away, want to try the electric extra(my 1st electric) and then stick to bigger gas planes, chris you can be expecting a call from me in a few days for sure, thanks for all the great products and customer service...dave spencer in arizona
Old 07-19-2006, 04:22 PM
Ian.W

Well, as of tonight, i have ordered everything i need to complete her, motor, ESC, lipos and prop should be here tomorrow, connectors, ball joints and pull pull the next. If i get the mount designed quick enough, then itll be flying sat, sun or maybe mid next week

Ian
Old 07-19-2006, 08:06 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

i just ordered a e300 from chris, couldnt wait for the yaker, this will be great i am sure...
Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Extreme Flight...

Chris...Glad to hear your planes are making their way here. I'm watching with interest.

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously ... I think this is a hobby and we need to just enjoy it. I see what TOR is saying but then again, it can be also seen as stirring things up. Let's keep this as a hobby. If not we will be questioning the BME YAK and whatever else that was a so called rip off from the previous EF YAK. Its just a hobby!!!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:10 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Ian, I am really interested in your set-up. Can't wait to see a video of you flying this thing!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Ian.W

interested chris??? you should have seen me today when the box arrived with it all in!!!! its amazing, will get photos tonight
Old 07-20-2006, 02:31 PM
Ian.W

OK, heres my motor and peices!!! sorry for the fuzzy photos, cant seem to get it in focus

Motor, Hacker C50 14xl acro competiton. Even has my name laser engraved into the back
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51663.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	494224  
Old 07-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Ian.W

ESC, Hacker Master 90 Acro Competiton with F3A brake (for constand speed downlines)

Name:	Tr50762.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	494226  
Old 07-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Ian.W

which is programmed by this

Name:	Mk26952.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	494239  
Old 07-20-2006, 02:52 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT

Man this is going to be good!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Tor

Here is a few hints for the Competiton ESC. Set the brake for 50% straight ahead - the brake is very mild and you practically won't feel it if you go lower. Do not rely on the automatic initial and end points. They change each time you connect the batteries to the ESC - which will screw up any throttle curves you may set in your transmitter, i fought with that for days, before realising that was the problem. Instead, set the initial point to 1.2ms and end point to 1.8ms, and adjust ATV in you transmitter to match.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Ian.W

thanks for the tips Tor, much appriciated.

Anyway, all those things above help to turn this beast over, a 21x13 wide electric APC prop!!! serious stuff! anyway, to put this into persective, ive attached a picture of the prop sitting on the canopy hatch. Only Tor and Chris will really realise how big this prop is in comparison in this picture, its seriously big!!! at its widest point, the chord of the prop is just under 2"[X(][X(]

Name:	Rp44037.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	494262  
Old 07-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Ian.W

Tor, what throttle curve do you recomend? I was going to pick linier, but its set to logarithmic as standard? thanks, Ian
Old 07-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Tor

Since most likely neither curve in the ESC (exponential or logarithmic) will suit my exact needs, I prefer to have a linier curve to work with in my transmitter. That way the curve I see on the display of my transmitter "what you see is what you get". If choosing i.e. exponential, I will add to the curve in the ESC, and the curve on my display is no longer representative of whats going on.

By the way, why did you go with an inrunner? I get 2.7kW on 3700mAh 10S with an outrunner (dare I say) Hyperion Z4045. All in my Funtana 90 at 4.9kg (10.8 lbs).
Old 07-21-2006, 09:10 AM
Ian.W

ok, ill have it set to linier and ill just set the throttle curve to give me a lunier curve using the tach for reading.

Chose the inrunner for various reasons, mostly because its a posh motor and i like posh motors

Ian
Old 07-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Tor

Forget setting the curve after RPMs, I might be linier, but far from sure it will feel linier. You are setting a curve for thrust not RPM. Trust produced by the prop is not liner with RPMs.

What I do to make a curve in the transmitter, is first to adjust the initialpoint. Set it as low as the ESC just initialises, but not lower, as that will give you a dead band for the first clicks on the stick. Next, the lower end of the of the motor is most likely not producing any significant power, so I make the first part relatively steep. Next I set the throttle for what I think is hovering setting and pick up the model and hold it vertical to confirm (a helper is to prefer). When I found the hovering point, I make a point at half stick input corrosponding to the value found. Next i just flatten the curve around the middle, to make it easier to make small corrections in hover, harrier and rolling harriers, where small throttle inputs and corrections are essential to smooth maneuvers. The remainder of the curve up to full power, I just set so it doesn't come in a burst but smoothly.

Here is an example of the curve that I use with my Funtana. Actually I was too lazy to set the ATV, so the first point, is one click on the stick, and just makes the prop rotate. So the very steep part from -100 to the first point is actually the dead band between no throttle (initalise point of ESC maybe -75) and the first click on the stick. If I had to redo it and set the ATV properly, the rest of the curve would have to be moved similaly down. Or said in another way, 0 is really +12.5.

Name:	Ec88699.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	494515  
Old 07-21-2006, 10:39 AM
Tor

Here is a more funky curve. This is when a servo is involved where geometry might not be perfect, and a carburator that most sure doesn't do anything in a linier fashion.

From the 50cc extra in my avatar:

Name:	Om33858.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	494520  
Old 07-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Ian.W

awesome, thanks very much for that, made it much much clearer. Hopefully ill try flying this thing mid next week, so ill give it a go.

One other thing, the hacker has 4mm connectors on the motor wires. can i de-solder these and just attach them directly to the ESC. They say that i cant shorten the wires as i wont be able to tin them properly, but if i unsolder the connectors instead of chopping them off?

Thanks
Ian

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.