Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight RC Yak 54 - 74 inch!

I hope to get mine up in EP also when my motor/esc/batts arrive ... Think will be taking a 10S set up with an AXI 5320 equivalent.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well long time no see Tianci! I haven't made too much progress with mine I have had way too much going on[:@]. Well guys my wife might get upset with me if I shave my head so I will have to stay out of your little cult. lol
Old 03-15-2007, 02:10 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extra Addict - I know what you mean ... it just sits there and does not move. Hey, tell your wife Persis Khambatta went bald for Star Trek and she is a beauty! All you need to worry is that if you were dropped on your head as a baby. The dent will be very obvious!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

No I wasn't dropped on my head as a baby but, I got up close and personal with a couple of windshield in my 20s[&:]. So trust me the hair stays I think I might go ahead and make some time to finish this thing but then I will be waiting for this March wind here in VA to calm down[:@]
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: Maudib

I gott get me a Tamboreen and play at the airports singing the Blaad of Josey Wales...
HA!!! I just got a visual!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:48 PM
FLYMIKE

I dont mean to pry, But does anyone know what happened to aerobobs yak? Maybe his experience will help others.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: FLYMIKE

I dont mean to pry, But does anyone know what happened to aerobobs yak? Maybe his experience will help others.
Did'nt know something happened to it!! That sucks!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: xtraflyr

ORIGINAL: FLYMIKE

Did'nt know something happened to it!! That sucks!!!

ORIGINAL: Aerobob
Let me tell the scoop, since *I* am the one who DOES know.

1. For personal reasons, - UNRELATED to Brillelli, Extreme Flight, or anyone else on RCU - I asked Scott at Brillelli, if I could back out of the review/build project on the EF Yak/ Brillelli 46.
2. He contacted sinergy, who accepted, and is either completing, or has completed it. It's important to know that I did fully complete the build, and the whole airplane was in a truly "ready to fly" condition when I had to change course.
3. I did not fly it.
4. My "issue" last summer was a QQ 73" Yak and a Brillelli 40. It died in a full power short vertical upline, nearly immediately after takeoff and I couldn't recover fast enough to flatten it out. It wiped out the airplane. It also REALLY sucked.

If anyone needs more information and has a meaningful reason for it, please email me.
Prurient interest does not qualify.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:08 PM
FLYMIKE

Sinergy posted that he was doing the review after aerobob had some issues. Not sure if the issues was with the plane or personal. Anyways, Yah that sucks! I was looking forward to his flight reports and vids.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Synergy took over completion of the 74" review after Bob (for personal reasons) decided not to.... he had no issue with it (the plane or engine)

The "issue" in question was when Bob lost a QQ 73" Yak with a B40... the engine quit for some reason... could have been a variety of things... not necessarily the engine.

video here:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....da0cf54a2e802f

The 73 is a little smaller than the 74" EF... and it looked a little on the high end of wingloading... it sure didn't want to glide out any without power...

To me the engine didn't sound like the problem... it sounded like the juice got turned of... either a ign switch, bad battery, or even an accidental flip of the kill switch...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 PM
FLYMIKE

Synergy took over a review that Bob ended up not being able to complete.... but had no issue with it (the plaen or engine)

The "issue" in question was when Bob lost a QQ 73" Yak with a B40... the engine quit for some reason... could have been a variety of things... not necessarily the engine.

video here:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....da0cf54a2e802f

The 73 is a little smaller than the 74" EF... and it looked a little on the high end of wingloading... it sure didn't want to glide out any without power...

To me the engine didn't sound like the problem... it sounded like the juice got turned of... either a ign switch, bad battery, or even an accidental flip of the kill switch...

Yah, it fell like a brick. Definatly the engine flipped off or stall was not the only problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Maudib

ANother thing that can cause such a quick stop of engine is an abrupt fuel stoppage... like the clunk line coming off the tubing and sucking nothing but air...

Clunk line flipping and getting stuck in the front of the tank... vertical climb would leave it dry.

Fuel dot not replaced on a 2 line system... engine will run until the line past the "T" is used up...
Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 PM
FLYMIKE

ANother thing that can cause such a quick stop of engine is an abrupt fuel stoppage... like the clunk line coming off the tubing and sucking nothing but air...

Clunk line flipping and getting stuck in the front of the tank... vertical climb would leave it dry.

Fuel dot not replaced on a 2 line system... engine will run until the line past the "T" is used up...
I havnt had to use anything to keep the clunk line from coming off on my glo-planes. With gas the clunk needs to travel from front to back because it sucks fuel instead of pressure. So the clunk is going to be heavier I guess. Would a clamp be needed on the clunk line?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 PM
Maudib

That's not quite correct...

You do not want you clunk traveling to the front of the tank with gas or glow. And it's actually harder to do with gas because Tygon is pretty stiff and gets stiffer after a while in gas.

It's problem is that since it loses it's rubberyness and grip it will slip off MUCH easier than silicone tubing.

Really the proper way to plumb a tank (or at least the concensus is) as inthe picture... (this shows a 2 line system where a "T" is use out side the tank on the fuel line with a fuel dot...

A 3 line system will have an extra brass tube and clunk line/clunk identical to the first...

Note that there are DuBro fuel barbs soldered tot eh brass tubes on the outside and the clunk line on the inside of the tank... AND zip ties on all ends of Tygon... (includign the clunk)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97995.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	643038  
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Maudib

I should mention too that almost ALWAYS on loing downlines when the you pull out and hit the throttle it stutters... that's because indeed you sucked air into the line as the fuel level was below the clunk which stayed in the bottom of the tank (now up above the fuel level)

Not a lot you can do about it, and it almost never is enough to kill the engine (unless the low end needle is way too lean)

Some prefer a felt clunk in the tank as they feel it soaks with fuel and allows for more fule to be "held in it" even when it's out of the fuel for short periods... there may be some truth to that... I used to use them inthe beginning and got away from it for no real reaosn other than I didn;t have any when I plumbed the tanks...

Old 03-16-2007, 01:20 AM
FLYMIKE

Very interesting, when I had an OS160 FX I bought the perry pump to" but didnt use it". The guy at Perry said since the pump sucks and there is no pressure in the tank, Ill have to use a heavier clunk and flexible tubing to reach all sides of the tank. I thought this would apply with gas engines too. THANKS

I guess I would have been asking about the tubing being stiff if I had it. Still have a list of things to get.

Now Im starting to wonder if the guy at Perry was right.

Thanks again
Old 03-16-2007, 01:33 AM
FLYMIKE

That's not quite correct...

You do not want you clunk traveling to the front of the tank with gas or glow. And it's actually harder to do with gas because Tygon is pretty stiff and gets stiffer after a while in gas.

It's problem is that since it loses it's rubberyness and grip it will slip off MUCH easier than silicone tubing.

Really the proper way to plumb a tank (or at least the concensus is) as inthe picture... (this shows a 2 line system where a "T" is use out side the tank on the fuel line with a fuel dot...

A 3 line system will have an extra brass tube and clunk line/clunk identical to the first...

Note that there are DuBro fuel barbs soldered tot eh brass tubes on the outside and the clunk line on the inside of the tank... AND zip ties on all ends of Tygon... (includign the clunk)
Yah, three line is called a uni flow. I read a couple years back in RC mag about it and tried it in my F90. They said to use one of those gizmo's that has a ball bearing in it to stop back pressure (forget the name of it) but the motor ran fine on the ground and dead sticked every time in the air. It turned out that the vibration from the motor caused the bearing to vibrate and killed it every time. Took along time to figure out what was wrong. Bad memories.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Maudib

A check valve of some sort?

Anywho... maybe you misunderstood the guy from Perry... and that he meant you needed a heqavier clunk to make sure it reached the 4 corners of the back of the tank... and that tip wasn't necessarily related to the Perry concpt.

As far as the uniflow... I don't know... again maybe that was a specific applciation because you don't use a check valve (or ball bearing backpressure device) on a 3 line system with either glow or gas.

I use 2 or 3 line systems about as much as each other.one line is the vent coming out the bottom of the plane, another has a clunk line and clunk hat leads to the carb, and the third has a cunk line and clunk that leads to a fuel dot.

Since gas engines are "pumped" if the fuel dot comes loose and air is allowed in it acts as just another vent... but on 2 line... there is a "T" fitting between the carb and fuel clunk and the "T" goes to a fuel dot.

If the dot leaks air or comes out... it breaks the path to the fuel and the carb sucks air...

On glow you normally disconnect the fuel line to fill and the vent is connected to the muffler to pressurize the system. SOmtimes they use a fuel filler in the fuel line and it sometimes leaks again stopping fuel form flowing.

a 3 line system can be used there too... btu again if the fuel dot comes out... you loose pressure in the tank

The only check valve I am aware of is on pumped systens YS, Perry, Cline, etc... that use one in the vent line to prevent the built up pressure from escaping
Old 03-16-2007, 02:26 PM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

Now on a gas engine,we run the vent line in a big loop around the tank and then out of the plane. Now why exactly do we do it this way? I know I've seen it and I do it that way. Is it because of long downlines and it keeps the fuel in the tank so we don't studder when we level out?

Somebody awhile back told me to run a check valve on the vent line on a glow plane esp. if the tank is furter back on the CG. Instead of using a pump. Never tried it,does this sound like it would work?

Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Cya,
Frank
Old 03-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Maudib

The loop around the tank is to help minize the amount of fuel that pours out the tank then we fly. Or even tip the tail up.when level, the vent line is above fuel level, when we tip it foward the fuel is above the vent line and it pours out. WIth a loop the line is always above the fuel level.

Without it... each time you roll... the bnd in the vent line will fill with fuel and when you roll upright some will drain out the vent.

This account for some of the "flight times" listed on an XX oz tank.

A little might work it's way around the loop if we loop or roll just right... but not very much.

Not sure about using a check valve without a pump... haven't heard that. I suppose the idea it to help maintain pressure in the tank... but I would think it would hinder the muffler pressure from getting in to begin with... making it worse...

The whole reason for using a pump/regulator is because the pressure is so weak from the muffler that the longer the length, the more pressure it takes to push the fuel out the line... the pumps use a crankcase tap for pressure...

Problem with muffler pressure is that the pressure has another point of exit (the end of the muffler) as the pressure required increases on the fuel line, more pressure goes out the muffler... (path of least resistance)
Old 03-16-2007, 03:30 PM
FLYMIKE

Maudib I also heard that you can loop the fuel line too, so on a down line your carb dont flood. Is that correct? On gas engines. Never heard the vent line til now.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:39 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

The loop around the tank is to help minize the amount of fuel that pours out the tank then we fly. Or even tip the tail up.when level, the vent line is above fuel level, when we tip it foward the fuel is above the vent line and it pours out. WIth a loop the line is always above the fuel level.

Without it... each time you roll... the bnd in the vent line will fill with fuel and when you roll upright some will drain out the vent.
I don't fully understand this loop everyone runs in the vent line for gas.[&:]

The only way I can see gas leaking out the vent line is if there is positive pressure from the tank (like expansion from heat--then the loop would not do much accept have a longer length of vent line to fill) or another vent to equalize the pressure. If the tank is sealed and (inside the tank vent goes to top of tank—small air pocket when not running) if as soon as the motor is running the only pressure to the vent line is negative pressure(taking in air as gas is burned), how could gas leave the vent line?[&:]

I guess if you filled it with gas and then picked up the tail (dropped the nose) to haul the plane around with it not running and if the gas line to the carb would act as a vent(can it?) then some gas could siphon out—can’t see it with the motor running though?[&:]
Old 03-16-2007, 03:43 PM
FLYMIKE

I found the mag that has the uniflow setup and he states that he uses it in a banchee with a check valve in the muffler pressure line. I tried his setup and would not recomend it to anyone. As the piston rocked back and fourth so did the bearing inside the check valve and stalled my motor every flight and took my landing gear off 4 times before we figured this out.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Maudib

Not true... the carb cannot flood on a gas engine that way... It's diaphragm pumped and only draws as much fuel as called for... you can FLOOD a gas engine by flipping choked without the ignition on or if the needles are way off...

But there is not reason to loop the fuel-carb line.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Maudib

STG... that's what I thought too... air must fill the void that the removal of gas is creating right?

Unfortunately... incoming air and escaping gas doesn't have to take up the whole line diameter... so air can come in while fuel flows out.

The same principal would apply that since air cannot come back through the diaphragm in the carb that no air can enter and allow fuel to come out the vent line but it does...

Sometime test... tip your full tanked plane up and the fuel runs out...

Now start the engine and tilt it (watch the prop!) it still runs out... Go figure....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.