Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Engine for Funtana X50

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Engine for Funtana X50

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Ralph L.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine for Funtana X50

Ok guys this thing is driving me nuts because I just went over the things you told me to check and this thing is good everywhere except. I think I can see a small amount ot warp in the rudder fin. It looks like it may lean to the left side a tad near the very top ofthe fin when centered. But that would not make it want to push the tail to the left. If anything it should go the oppesite way Yes??? You guys dont think this could be a firewall problem. What do you think will happen when I try to fly this with no right thrust? Dont you think maybe it will help my problem. With the wing on I checked from tip to stab on both sides they mite be off a 1/16 if your lucky. I am going freaken nuts here.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
RVman

This would drive me crazy to if my F50 did that, maybe try contacting horizon and see what they have to say? You sure the fuse does not have a warp in it? Hope you get it figured out.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:03 AM
nakia

Hi,
The Funtana was designed primarily for 3d flying, IMAC is just not this planes design purpose in agreeance with all experienced modellers, as for the two stroke engines being lighter and more powerful than four strokes, this may have been the case ten years ago
but no longer applies, YS develops some of the best engines available to date in this category of aircraft, extremely light, mass power and unmatchable reliabiltity.Its is a well known fact that 3D flying requires faultless throttle response and this is something that two strokes just seem to lack.
We all realise that not everyone flies 3D but really what did you expect to hear on a post about a 3D plane??
Old 06-11-2007, 07:55 AM
rowlsearle

I put a Magnum 91 FS in mine. Plenty of power. Goes straight up at half throttle. Fits in quite nicely, mounted as far back as possible. Didnt need any lead. Not sure how a 40 2stroke would balance in there without any lead. Motor is a great price for what you get.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:16 PM
tamir_250

what electic setup should be used for 3ding this X50 ?
form this website:
www.unitedhobbies.com
Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 PM
latitude777

Got an old faithful YS .63FZS in my baby, perfect, nice and light, hovers at 2/3 throttle with extra to pull out, flying with a 13x4W prop on 20% nitro fuel.

definately a favorite!!! cg between 5-5.5 inches back from the leading edge next to the fuse.... dont see the point in putting in massive engines...anything over a 80 size is way over rated.... if you need this much power for pull out then you must be compensating for lack in something else!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Chocks_Away

It's not just a case of overpowering it, but fuel economy comes into play too from not needing to use as much throttle as a smaller engine.
Plus, you can always throttle back on a bigger engine, but you can't go any further forward than full throttle on an underpowered one !

My X50 has got a Thunder Tiger 91 FS in it using either a 14x4W or a 13x4W theres not much between the two, - and it feels just right for it in power and I wouldn't consider having something any smaller than that in it.
Mine will cruise around and hover at around 1/3 throttle, with plenty of punch in reserve for vertical pull out.

Anything Over an .80 is over rated you say ?

Read the manual, - it reccomends the Saito .82 FS ! - which many that use this combo describe it as a perfect match.

IMO, theres nothing worse than lack of power.

I put a .46 two stroke in it when I first bought the plane and it wouldn't do anything vertical wise !
So what the hell it would do at the lower end of the .32 - .46 two stroke reccomended size range I'll never know ! [&:]

If I was putting a two stroke in it now, I wouldn't go less than a .60 / .65

Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: nakia

Hi,
The Funtana was designed primarily for 3d flying, IMAC is just not this planes design purpose in agreeance with all experienced modellers, as for the two stroke engines being lighter and more powerful than four strokes, this may have been the case ten years ago
but no longer applies, YS develops some of the best engines available to date in this category of aircraft, extremely light, mass power and unmatchable reliabiltity.Its is a well known fact that 3D flying requires faultless throttle response and this is something that two strokes just seem to lack.
We all realise that not everyone flies 3D but really what did you expect to hear on a post about a 3D plane??
That is why I really like the sk 2 stroke engines. It is ported low so i should be proped to about 8800. It has very quick throttle response (same as 4c) and my sk 90 with the new pitts turns a apc 16-6 8800 on 15%, 8600 on 5% and ways in at 22oz with the simeline pitts. Plus it only costs $150 with the pitts and fuel cost 12 bucks a gallong. The sk is the best bang for your buck in terms of 3d and price.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 AM
latitude777

ORIGINAL: Chocks_Away

Anything Over an .80 is over rated you say ?

Read the manual, - it reccomends the Saito .82 FS ! - which many that use this combo describe it as a perfect match.

IMO, theres nothing worse than lack of power.

I put a .46 two stroke in it when I first bought the plane and it wouldn't do anything vertical wise !
So what the hell it would do at the lower end of the .32 - .46 two stroke reccomended size range I'll never know ! [&:]

If I was putting a two stroke in it now, I wouldn't go less than a .60 / .65

I think you have slightly misunderstood, Im simply referring to 4 strokes here, i havent heard many people have huge success on 3Ding a 2 stroke, not torquey enough...

But i do think that the manual recommends such an engine for unlimited verticles! ie no ends of power for verticle up...What im saying is that an experienced pilot doesnt require a massive engine to overcompensate for his lack of ability. A .63 YS is more than enough for me...for that matter ask KYLIE WOISHNIS! He used the same engine in his funtana 40...

Something to think about!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 06:43 AM
tamir_250

there is a new boy from OS ENGINES - AX75!! i guess that this engine is the best 2 stroke to yse on a funtana X50, should be alottttttt over power.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Chocks_Away

WOW, about time they had an inbetween motor between the 60 & 90
Should be great [sm=thumbup.gif]

scultura44

Yeah, I know what your saying about not needing a bigger motor to make up for ability and all that.
I and many others just like to have the power for unlimited vertical up lines.
Sorry, not heard of Kylie Woishnis in the UK.........???
Kylie Minogue yes, but Woishnis, NO ! [sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 AM
THEKMAN

WOW...A lot of difference of opinion about the engines, props, etc. I am more confused than when I first logged on.

OK, I have a Funtana50 on the way. I already have an Evolution .46 that made it through a bad crash on my PulseXT40. (I bought another one...I love that plane.) I have been practicing on the SIM a lot and really want to get into 3D flying... so I ordered the Funtana.

I live in the Cayman Islands and there is no flying club, hobby store etc. I have never even seen a 4-stroke engine so I don't know anything about them other than they "sound cool" and cost 3-times as much. Based on the posts here, it seems I won't be able to do much 3D with the .46 engine. I compared specs on the two engines and they are almost identical. The .46 weighs a half once less than the Saito 82 and has 500rpm more. The only downfall seems to be prop size. What is the "real" difference between the 2-stroke and 4-stroke? If I want to get into 3D flying should I just bite the bullet and order the Saito 82? It's tough when you don't have a hobby store near by for parts and advise. I have to wait 4-5 weeks to get all my stuff.

I appreciate any and all advice.

KMAN
Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

KMAN,
On paper a 2 stroke .46 and 4 stroke .82 appear similar, however the 4C has superior mid range torque. Say you are hovering at half throttle and need to pull out because one wing is dropping, the 4C will have better response. Also the 4C can swing a 2 inch larger diameter prop which will throw more air over the control surfaces. The Saito .82 uses a APC 14x4W (wide blade) prop which will provide better braking on down lines than a 2C with a smaller prop.

The Funtana S40/X50 has a tricky stall trait that can be fixed. Check out this thread:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4530826/anchors_4530826/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4530826]Funtana wing mod[/link]

Since you are just starting out with 3D flying, consider a Mojo 40. It will be easier to 3D fly and much more durable. The Funtana S40/X50 is very durable but won't last long if you start hitting the ground.
Phillip
Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Cambo

Well guys

I just finished my 7th flight on my new katana vz 70 profile from OMP (made by TMPro) and it BLOWS AWAY THE FUNTANA X50. There isn't even a comparison. My Katana, with the 90 2 stroke, AUW is 6.4 pounds with 1012 inches of wing area. It never stalls, harriers have almost NO wing rock. Walls take almost no elevator through. Hovers are just so easy. The kat i have hovers at 25% throttle. It is so funny. Oh, and on the first run of the day the low speed needle valve was out tune and I had a dead stick 40ft up in hover. I landed the plane without a problem. The kat just floats all day long. My funtana had a deadstick 100ft up in a hover and it stalled all the way down for a ruff landing. Oh, and the kat will enter knife edge fligh with almost no rudder and 1/4 throttle. The funtana I had would enter knife edge flight at WOT and full rudder. A little less with SFG's. But i could never get it to enter high alpha knife edge. I was doing high alpha knife edge 5ft off the ground. And finally i could just float in for a landing with worrying about a stall.

So, the my final thaughts on the x50.
It needs a very lite engine IMO to keep that wing loading down. You should shoot for 5-5.5 pounds for good 3d or it will stall ALL THE TIME. Hard to fine an engine that will give you that weight though. Mine came out to 6.5 pounds, to heavy. It needs a VERY rearward CG for good 3d especially walls and harriers. It stalls ubruptly at slow speeds. Has poor knife edge qualities. HORRIBLE harriers. HORRIBLE blenders. Tite loops are simply impossible without stalling out. Hovering is not bad.

I also spent almost 60 flights experimenting with different engines (magum 91 4 stroke, os fl 70 4 stroke, 46ax 2 stroke, sk 91 stroke) and cg's and never got it were i like. The plane just doesn't fly well IMO.

All in all i would give the x50 a b- compared to the kat 70 wich i would give an A

I also flew the larger x100 at one point. Flew a little batter but is no wear near as good as the kat.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Jimmy Hoffa

Cambo,
The wing mod will clean up most of that nasty stall trait. I agree that it requires full power to KE. I can do a pretty good inverted flat spin with careful throttle management. Rear CG helps but then the plane gets twitchy for a new pilot like KMAN.

Comparing a full fuselage plane to a profile is apples to oranges, but the profile will smoke the full fuse at 3D.
Phillip
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 AM
THEKMAN

Thanks for the info Jimmy. I think I will try the .46 with it to start but it sounds like if I really want to pursue 3D, I need to get the Saito on order.

Anyone have some video footage of the Funtana (or any other plane for that matter) with a 4-stroke? I would really like to hear the engine.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Cambo

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Hoffa

Cambo,
The wing mod will clean up most of that nasty stall trait. I agree that it requires full power to KE. I can do a pretty good inverted flat spin with careful throttle management. Rear CG helps but then the plane gets twitchy for a new pilot like KMAN.

Comparing a full fuselage plane to a profile is apples to oranges, but the profile will smoke the full fuse at 3D.
Phillip
I agree, you can't really compare a fuse plane to a profile in terms of 3d. There just isn't any earthly comparison . Lol, just kiden but am haven so much more fun with the kat.

KMAN

this is what a 4 stroke sounds like in the air. They sound sweet on warbirds. I got a 91 on my hellcat turning a 14-7 3 bladed. It sounds beautiful flying by.

Edit:

forgot the link

http://www.rcuvideos.com/item/JCCC6QBSW200L1WV
Old 08-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Chocks_Away

Here's a few clips of the X50 with a four stroke

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search
Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Jimmy Hoffa

The first minute and a half of this video is a S40 (same plane) with a Saito 1.00.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Arogbx1aw

Saito 82 powered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVsU-qxxZ_A

Phillip

Old 08-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Gus155

ORIGINAL: Ralph L.

Can someone please tell me what prop is right for this combo. The Funtana X50 with a Saito 82 for all kinds of 3D flight. I bought my X50 about 2 months ago and I am waiting for delivery on my Saito 82 any day now. Planing on building it the day after Xmas and I want to make sure I get the right set up (PROP) and all. Thanks guys.
14x4w apc all the way. May try a 13x6 if you not going to 3d it too much.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
THEKMAN

OK, That does it! I'm ordering the Saito .82 TONIGHT!
It's going to be a long 4-weeks waiting on the thing though.
Thanks for the clips guys.
KMAN

Is there anything you can think of that I would need to order with the Saito? (Spark plugs, props, fuel, parts etc.) Remember, I have no experience with these engines and no hobby store close by.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Cambo

I am not sure what you have laying around but assuming you have never run a engine before this is what you would need

Glow engines have a different ignition system than a gasoline engine. They use glow plugs. You heat the glow plug using a glow ignitor to start the egine. One the engine starts you remove the glow ignitor.

Here is a list of stuff you need for that engine

Engine related components
1. Glow Plug
Although your saito comes with a glow plug they often burn out at unpredictable times. Glow plugs should be concidered a disposible part. By 4-5
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCB28&P=ML

2. Fuel line
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK129&P=ML

3. fuel filter (optional)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXK134&P=ML

Fuel and accesories

1. fuel
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGHA9&P=ML
if you can avoid buying online do so. You usually have to pay a rediculous shipping charge (hazerdous material). It is worth the long drive to the hobby shop.

2. Fuel pump
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVZ41&P=ML
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFAW2&P=ML

It is up to you if you want to use manuel or electric. I prefer manuel

Starting Equipment

1. Starter
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJC35&P=ML

2. starter battery
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSK06&P=7

2. Glow ignitor
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJGS6&P=7

Note: You can flip start if you like but it iis tricky and it is SOOOO frusturating when your engine will not flip start and you don't have an electric starter handy
Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 PM
THEKMAN

Thanks for the input Cambo but I'm not new to RC, just new to 4-stroke engines. I live in the Cayman Islands and there is no flying club and no Hobby Store so I am stuck ordering everything on line.
To make matters worse, not one hobby shop will accept my credit card because its international. So, I have to send wire transfers. Anyone know of any hobby stores that will accept international credit cards? I offer to send a fax of my credit card and drivers license (even had my bank call a hobby store once) but no luck.
Anyway, thanks again.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Cambo

Oh, hehe

You made it sound like you were new to the hobby. My bad . Anyway, 4 strokers really arn't that different than 2 strokes. Other than leaning how to adjust your vavles the are tuned the same way and started the same way just have more moveing parts

for siatos try
www.horizonhobby.com

link to siato .82
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAIE082A
Old 08-09-2007, 02:02 AM
THEKMAN

One last question guys.

What SPINNER do I need? Again its a FuntanaX50, Saito .82 with a 14/4W or 13/4W prop.

I'd be lost without these forums. It's great to see th more experienced RC people taking the time to help out the new guys on these forums. Its a great community! Thanks again everyone!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.