Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:47 PM
plankdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official RCU Fliton Inspire 60 build thread!

I had a structural failure in flight yesterday. The left side wing tube structure came unglued from the inside. The structure is there but the pieces are either cracked or unglued.
I managed to land without any problems. It is obviosly unflyable as is. The plane is being flown in a very smooth manner aside from half a dozed power off snap rolls.

Is this a normal occurence? I mean the break inside the wing.
YS63S, sub 5lbs TOGW.

Santiago
Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: plankdriver

I had a structural failure in flight yesterday. The left side wing tube structure came unglued from the inside. The structure is there but the pieces are either cracked or unglued.
I managed to land without any problems. It is obviosly unflyable as is. The plane is being flown in a very smooth manner aside from half a dozed power off snap rolls.

Is this a normal occurence? I mean the break inside the wing.
YS63S, sub 5lbs TOGW.

Santiago
A friend had the same thing happen to his Inspire wing when he continued to keep the power on after a flutter started. He's lucky the whole plane didn't come apart! Under normal flying, I doubt that this is a common occurrence.
Phillip
Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

The tube on the inside of the fuse of mine came out. [X(] It came unglued and caused the wing to be really loose. I put some CA around it and it's much better now but it sounds like I'm going to have to glue the tubes in the wing as well.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
plankdriver

I was flying at half throttle when it happend. I do not use full throttle unless I am pulling out a low hover, and only for a moment. The power of the YS63 is better or equal than all the 91 FS I work with. 14lbs of static thrus on a 5lb airplane, FUN SCARY.

I had already reglued the fuse tube and the right wing tube structure; it came looseafter the 1st flight. The right panel felt soft on the tube from the day before, meaning it was already started to come appart.

I repaired the darn wing last night. Cut out the bottom CRAPPY covering and the balsa sheeting around the tube. The last rib supporting the tube was in bad shape. Glued all the puzzle pieces and double up everything that looked too thin in the area, including the sheeting incisions. I also droped more CA on the right panel and build up thickness on the carbon tube center section with CA, as it was fitting sloppy in the fuselage.

It is all tight now, no wabbly between the wings and fuse.
The vibration of the 4 stroke engine bangin through the airframe is what worries me.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
wagen017

had the same thing. Outer tubes came loose, first one wing, then the other. CA-ed them both, didn't worry about it too much, I must say. Mine now has 38 flights. Must say that landing gear holds up well (although it did make some cracking sounds the first few landings and there is some delamination). If it might worsen I can always CA-ed it together. As was mentioned somewhere in this thread, although there might be delamination, they will not break. So, again, I don't worry, I just fly it.

What I do always do is a thorough after-flight check. I do not clean my planes at the field, but at home so I have time to check and fix issues immediately so they don't develop into bigger issues!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: wagen017

had the same thing. Outer tubes came loose, first one wing, then the other. CA-ed them both, didn't worry about it too much, I must say. Mine now has 38 flights. Must say that landing gear holds up well (although it did make some cracking sounds the first few landings and there is some delamination). If it might worsen I can always CA-ed it together. As was mentioned somewhere in this thread, although there might be delamination, they will not break. So, again, I don't worry, I just fly it.

What I do always do is a thorough after-flight check. I do not clean my planes at the field, but at home so I have time to check and fix issues immediately so they don't develop into bigger issues!
That's a good idea to check your planes after you fly. I've found several things broke that way and it's a good habit to get into. I'll check my wing tubes tonight.
I have about 12 flights on mine and have noticed already that the landing gear is cracked on both legs. Not bad, but definately cracked. I had a GP Reactor before this plane and had taken the landing gear off of it because it didn't work on it. Well I shortened it a little bit and painted it white and put it on the Inspire. I'll have to say, they work great on the Inspire and look good too. They aren't as springy as they were on the Reactor and work perfect on the Inspire. I'll post a pic of them tonight. [8D]
Old 09-13-2007, 04:54 PM
wagen017

When running a glow 4-stroke one word of advice! Make sure you use something to keep exhaust fumes and crankcase breather line away from the fuse, so most of the oil exhausted will not end up on your plane. Mine sofar was dripping after a day flying, but the oil is now getting under the covering and into the balsa (which is bad news!), so I have to go and fix this.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 PM
RVM

This is generally going to hold true for any glow engine, not just 4-strokes.

How rich are you running your engine?

When running a glow 4-stroke one word of advice! Make sure you use something to keep exhaust fumes and crankcase breather line away from the fuse, so most of the oil exhausted will not end up on your plane. Mine sofar was dripping after a day flying, but the oil is now getting under the covering and into the balsa (which is bad news!), so I have to go and fix this.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:21 AM
rclement

Well, so far the Top Flite Lustercote clear spray that I put on mine has helped out a lot. I doesn't seem like the fuel is having any effect on the coating at all.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Whats the word on using a Saito 82 on this plane with no pump? I am a little concerned as I fly mainly 3D with lots of hovering!
Old 09-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Cody-RCU

I've been flying my Inspire all summer, and I love it. However, there are some issues. My wing cracked like the other's, however, this was when I had a stuck throttle, and had to keep doing high-g stuff to keep it from going fast (the ailerons will flutter at full throttle, straight and level). So I don't think there's a problem with my wing. I was able to land the airplane, and will repair it this winter.

The covering sucks. I was able to stick it back down somewhat, and clean it up, but it's not suitable for a glow airplane. I plan on re-covering it this winter with the wing repair.

The landing gear sucks as well. I'm a proficient pilot. I don't land hard. But eventually, the gear just gave out, and there was no saving it. I replaced it with the gear from a Harrier 46. The gear really didn't break from landing, it broke from taxiing over grass. If you fly on asphalt or a perfect field, it might be OK for you.

I still believe that this plane has no equal in its size when it comes to flight performance, despite its flaws.

Enjoy the video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...43391760095998
Old 09-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Jimmy Hoffa
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rclement

Well, so far the Top Flite Lustercote clear spray that I put on mine has helped out a lot. I doesn't seem like the fuel is having any effect on the coating at all.
Did you spray the whole plane or just the decals? Did you use high gloss or satin?
Phillip
Old 09-17-2007, 05:56 PM
rclement

I used the high gloss stuff and I ended up spraying just about all of the monokote. I only have about 15 flights on is so far but I'm really thinking it's going to help out a lot.
For the landing gear, mine started to fail on about the 4th or 5th flight and I had an extra set of Reactor landing gear so I shortened it about an inch or so (on the axle end) and rebent and painted them white it and they work great now.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 PM
.:RClunatic:.
My Feedback: (21)

luckily my covering has been doing just fine but when it peels on other models i just use some clear nail polish and it keeps it nice and snug.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
plankdriver

Where can you find a replacement (stock) engine mount for the Inspire 60? I just had an engine out of a low harrier and did a lot of damage to the nose section. It is quite a mess but repairable.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
rclement

I replaced my engine mount with a Sig mount from the LHS. My stock mount melted if you can believe that. It must have been manufactured wrong. The engine had never overheated or even dead sticked but it melted. Anyway I found a Sig mount that was long enough.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:54 AM
plankdriver

Rob,
Did you have to re drill the firewall hloes? I am almost done fixing the crash damage )

Santiago
Old 09-27-2007, 11:07 AM
rclement

yes I did. but it's really easy to get in there. I just re-drilled them and moved the T nuts and plugged the old holes.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:10 AM
patternman
My Feedback: (-1)

What is the recommended torque for servos on this plane? I can get JR 821 digital servos with 72 oz for $15 each, but they are standard size and a little heavy. I'm considering buying a new radio system with them included.
The directions are woefully short on text, and specs.
How did the clearcoat work out? Did it stop trim from peeling off?
I am just starting to build this, and have read the thread start to finish.
I am concerned about covering and landing gear and wonder if I should make the changes before putting it together.
I plan on using the YS 63 because I have used YS in my pattern ship before and loved it. From what I hear, the standard muffler is just fine, no need for header and tuned pipe.
I do not want flutter. The mounting position of the aileron servo seems wrong. why not center it?
I ruined my U Can DO with flutter.
So, servo specs, clearcoat answers.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: patternman

What is the recommended torque for servos on this plane? I can get JR 821 digital servos with 72 oz for $15 each, but they are standard size and a little heavy. I'm considering buying a new radio system with them included.
The directions are woefully short on text, and specs.
How did the clearcoat work out? Did it stop trim from peeling off?
I have about 20 flights on mine so far and the clear coating seems to be doing the trick. I don't know how long it took for other peoples planes to start peeling the coating but mine is holding up well and doesn't have any evidence of peeling at all. If is was to spray it again the only thing I would do different would be to spray a second coat on the edges of the layered coating.
For the landing gear I used the stock gear for about 6-8 flights and it started to delam. After that I installed a modified set from a Great Planes Reactor and they are holding up real well. You can get by with some landings on the stock gear but I wouldn't fly it before spraying it with a clear coat.
Bottom line is I love my Inspire and the upgrades are working out well.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Jonathan.Lam

could you put a saito 125 in the inspire 60?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 AM
rclement

ORIGINAL: Jonathan.Lam

could you put a saito 125 in the inspire 60?
I wouldn't advise it. It's too much power for this light airframe and although you can throttle back I would be worried that the airframe would rattle apart.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Jonathan.Lam

i know the inspire 90 would be an ideal plane for the 125, but it isnt like the inspire 60, as it cant 3D[:'(]

if i put the 125 on a soft mount, would it still cause too much vibration for this plane to handle?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:50 PM
wagen017

Saito 125 just doesn't make sense on this plane. I fly it with a 82, and that's great. The fun of this plane is the low weight, and with the 125 you'll make it heavier and tear it apart. What kind of prop were you thinking of? I once flew it with a 13x8 iso a 14x4W, and was afraid of flutter due to increased speed.

Landing gear news: flew now 60 flights. The gear cracked lightly at first, but kept up fine. No need at all to change sofar.

I really enjoy flying this plane, usually fly 2 hours/ 8 flights in an afternoon. After this, the plane is really full with oil. Thru the transparant foil I can see it start to affect the balsa around the left aileron servo area. Hope it will survive this, but have my questions for that! This winter, all going well, I plan to recover the wings to improve visibility of the plane. I have not found a satisfactory fix for the oil splatter sofar. Tried to lengthen the exhaust with some silicone tube, but this did not work. Any tips are welcome!!!

thanks,

volkert
Old 09-30-2007, 03:56 PM
wagen017

ORIGINAL: RVM

This is generally going to hold true for any glow engine, not just 4-strokes.

How rich are you running your engine?

RVM: I run my engine a tad rich, but not a lot! I do have the idea that there is a lot of oil on the plane which comes from the crankcase breather nipple.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.