Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Showtime 50 anyone?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Showtime 50 anyone?

Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 PM
jeanyves0922

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Showtime 50 anyone?

Thanks for the replies... Still have an issue.
The reason I am doing this is to lower the tank center line for the inverted Magnum 91. From the pictures (by the way many thanks Rmazuera for the pics), the area behind the firewall seems to be higher than the one at CG (again I am receiving my ST next week).
1) If I use the header tank to carb, then it might be too high (but since it is a small tank it will have lower center line and stopper probably below needle valve, I hope).
What do you think is my second option if header tank is still too high?
2) If I use your setup, and a quick filler, do I use it between header tank #2 and carb?

Jean-Yves
Old 09-06-2007, 07:37 PM
jeanyves0922

I forgot... I really like Rodanz selection of 8oz and 6oz tanks. But I might end up with 12oz and 2oz as header. I see from teh pics that there is room for a 12oz at CG.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:54 PM
rmazuera

jeanyves0922,
1) I tried to get a picture inside the plane in front of my tank. There seems to be plenty of space to trick it out and install the tank at a lower position. I think a 2 oz will do the trick.
2) The Quick filler would go between your carb and fill of tank #2 (2 oz tank).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26774.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	757854  
Old 09-06-2007, 08:05 PM
rmazuera

jeanyves0922,
Another option you have is install the tank from the bottom. I created a larger vent underneath so the engine would work cooler. You could do the same and while everything is open, you could install whatever size tank you want in the front, at whatever elevation. Just reinforce here and there and cut whatever is in your way (Don't overdo it).
See my larger vent.
If you see closer, I also installed a valve cover protector after having a little incident with the runway. I replaced the original steel bolts of the landing gear with plastic ones. After a dozen landings, they gave up. And what was supposed to be a decent landing became a valve cover destroyer. Now I installed 1/4-20 plastic bolts that are MUCH stronger than the flimsy ones installed before (Error, error, shame on me.)
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 PM
rmazuera

Lets try again inserting the pictures.

Name:	Wu60630.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	757865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12773.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	757866  
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
rmazuera

jeanyves0922,

You need to be careful with the size of the tank because the screws holding the wing are inserted in that compartment. Check post 147 picture for holes on sides next to large tank.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:43 PM
jeanyves0922

RMazuera,

I don't know how to thank you for these pics. They say it all.
I'll try the easier setup first and thank you for pointing out the wing installation clearance. From these pics I understand that I can use a 4oz bullet or cylinder type tank from Sullivan to keep things low and I'll use a 10oz slanted like yours (I suppose you used the slanted 10oz one for clearance on your outputs; I see the stopper is very close to the wall reinforcement).

As for the landing gear... thanks for pointing it out. Damn... I downloaded the manual and looked at the tinny "what-they-called-bolts". No wonder everyone seems to complain about them. I did not know why they did untill I saw THAT.
Why did you use plastic instead of stainless steel bolts (weight)?

Jean-Yves
Old 09-06-2007, 09:52 PM
rmazuera

If you have a not too good landing, I prefer to break the screws than to rip all the landing gear support. Think of it as a fuse.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:55 PM
jeanyves0922

Pashka,

If you read the last posts and since you are already using the same Magnum 91 engine I will be using on the ST50, since you have mounted the engine invertd and since you are having fuel flow issues, RMazuera and Rodan's setup are important I think i our case.
I just read on the Sullivan product web page that using a header tank improves fuel pressure.
Magnum recommends having the stopper (or tank center line) at the same level or slightly below the carb valve when engine is inverted. Since your plane is already built and you are flying it if you decide to implement, please keep me posted so I know what not to do [>:]

Jean-Yves
Old 09-07-2007, 05:41 AM
Mr Lee

I am about ready to maiden my ST50 tomorrow! Just have to check the CofG and away I go. I am a little worried about the standard mount as the OS91fs moves a little if a grab the prop and move it up and down!! I had to take quite a bit off the mount to get the 91 to fit. I hope nothing goes wrong as I put alot of effort into making this aerie and don't want it falling out of the sky because of the mount......Oh well I suppose I will see after tomorrow........
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 AM
rmazuera

Mr. Lee:

Did you use the original mounting? I replaced it with a larger mount by SIG. See post #110. I also redrilled the firewall to mount the engine inverted. No need to "take quite a bit off the mount".
Old 09-07-2007, 11:32 AM
RodanAZ

ORIGINAL: rmazuera

RodanAZ,

What prop are you using and did you measure RPM?
I'm running a 14x8 APC while I break in the motor. Once I've got some time on it, I'll start experimenting with props. I fly at 5000ft, so that makes a bit of difference. I'm thinking a 15x4W APC will work well... I haven't tached anything yet, other than setting the idle on the bottom end.

What are you running?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:32 PM
jeanyves0922

Mr. Lee:

Did you use the original mounting? I replaced it with a larger mount by SIG. See post #110. I also redrilled the firewall to mount the engine inverted. No need to "take quite a bit off the mount".
RMazuera,

From post 110, I noticed that the mount is off-centered. Is there a reason for this?

Jean-Yves
Old 09-08-2007, 01:37 PM
RodanAZ

Finally got to maiden my Showtime 50 this morning... I really like this airplane!

I'm still running rich, breaking in the YS 91 with a 14x8, but it still has unlimited vertical! Two clicks of down elevator was all the trimming it took. Stalls straight, tracks really well, great knife edge, and just really flies nice!

It's more pattern than 3d, but I did a few flat spins and hovers as I started to get used to it. Right now I'm just kind of feeling it out, but I'm impressed!

On my 5th flight I pulled straight vertical on the take of, and about 100' up it threw the prop. Got it back on the runway without any problem, but it doesn't slow down much without a prop! No damage, but I wasn't able to find the prop or spinner...

Looking forward to getting some more flights on it next week...
Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 PM
rmazuera

How was your CG? Did you have to add weight? Where did you end up placing the battery pack and receiver?
Old 09-08-2007, 05:24 PM
RodanAZ

How was your CG? Did you have to add weight? Where did you end up placing the battery pack and receiver?

I mounted the receiver and battery just in front of the rudder servo. With the dual tank set up, I only had to add 1.5oz of lead to the tail to get the factory recommended CG.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:15 PM
firestone1121

copied from another forum by me!

"well- I finally did it! I maidened my first ARF and am proud to say it went AWESOME. I guess from going over this plane so much the ONLY trim adjustment i needed was a click of UP elevator thats IT!! Shame i had to knock off work to do it- NOT! Lol But this plane is VERY responsive and did exactly what i told her to do. I will put money on it that its a heck of a lot easier to land than a Nexstar. This baby does perfect 3 point landings and glides very nicely. The takeoffs require more runway than i expected. The os .61fx is a GREAAAT motor for this plane- just TONS of power! Ran 2 tanks and did a few loops and rolls- nothin crazy yet. One thing i have to do before the next flight is to put some foam between the fuse and canopy. Vibrates like hell- kinda scary. rechecked all my nuts and bolts and were ok! Threadlock is worth its weight in gold and holds like steel! I am one happy and satisfied customer for Hangar 9. They did a great job designing this plane!"

BTW even on low rates the roll rate is phenomenal. i agree it does fly more like a pattern bird but just as well in 3d. Stability is second to none. Did a few landings with a considerable crosswind and it didnt budge- tracks like its on rails! i kept my reciever and battery in the recommended spots and only needed 1.5 oz of tail weight as she was a bit nose heavy. I kept the break in prop of 11x7 prop on- will probably have one or two more flights of break in and to get used to the feel then switch to a 12x6. i may possibly go to a 13x4 once i get better at 3ding 3 mistakes high. i have -30% expo all around but may switch to -45% (futaba) on the ailerons as it is not hard to "oversteer" when slingshotting. Other than that- im extremely happy! For it being a first arf for me, im pretty darn proud of myself!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:15 PM
rmazuera

firestone1121,
Are you talking about the screws that hold the canopy? Try cutting a thin "washer" from silicone tubing and insert it between the fuselage and the screw. It will do the trick. No need for threadlock on the canopy screws. It also works very well for the screws @ cowling.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:25 PM
firestone1121

its the entire canopy vibrating against the fuse towards the front. the canopy hatch is slightly warped toward the back but its all in the area in the front JUST before the actual lexan underneath. i used a few pieces of wrapping foam. not sure how it works yet she will fly again 2marrow if the vibrations are taken care of. ill get a few pics of wat i mean. i put my hand on top of the front of the canopy and it all stopped. just little tweaks i guess that have to be made.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 AM
firestone1121

firestone1121,
Are you talking about the screws that hold the canopy? Try cutting a thin "washer" from silicone tubing and insert it between the fuselage and the screw. It will do the trick. No need for threadlock on the canopy screws. It also works very well for the screws @ cowling.

i have arrows pointing to where it vibrates and the foam i installed to stop it. Im going now to fly will let you know how it made out. Does anyone else have this problem??

Name:	Ur52033.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	759578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56235.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	759579  
Old 09-10-2007, 01:35 AM
firestone1121

yep! that took care of it! purrs like a kitten now!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Mr Lee

Firestone: I noticed that too!! Also going to have to put something there to stop it!

rmazuera: Yep! the original mount. I thought about replacing it but didn't want to hack it to get behind fire wall.

Oh well I maidened it on Saterday, finally....had the thing since March and only got round to finishing it last week!!
I have a OS91fs (older version) with an apc 15x4W mounted on the flimsy front bit! Will be adding a piece of an old mount to the sides of this one to try and beef it up a little. First flight was a breeze with a couple of clicks up and one click right or left....can't remember in all the excitement ....and WOW does this prop break the plane in the down line. My buddy and I could not believe it...almost like flying large scale. Prop also allows you to slow the plane right down in a landing too. Landing was not a greaser but this was cause I only realised afterwards that I was on high rate and had quite a bit of expo programed.....was pulling and pulling to flair, obviously only a little bit at a time and came down a little harder than it would have for a greaser. Strange thing is that it just sat when it hit the deck, no ballooning, just rolled out!
After the flight I was able to move the motor around quite a bit, obviously heated up by the motor making the mount more flexible!! It was a little better once it had cooled.
Second flight I got it into a hover but as I have not flown for something like the last 8 months i was a little rusty and because of the plane being slightly nose heavy(hence the up trim) and the wind pumping strong it was a bit of a mission. It would not torque either but that could have been from the wind!! The motor holds it at around half throttle (I am around 2000m above sea level) and doesn't rocket out but I feel comfortable with it. The control surfaces have enough throw that I can get it into a hover and recover from any angle...... . The battery pack is mounted next to the throttle servo which is a mini and the RX is is the intended bay. I will move the battery back to be just infront of the rudder servo....should solve the cg issue and pop into a hover without me having to fight it into the vertical position! It knife edged on low rudder rates but I didn't want to put too much strain on the mount so didn't do it too long. Landing was more of a greaser on all three legs!
I did notice that it has a beeeeg tendancy to snap when entering the hover but don't know whether this is due to the cg but I am sure I will get used to it. Really can't wait to get this thing down on the deck !!!!!
I have the tank in the orginal position and was a little more on the nose heavy side when I balanced it dry. I prefer to be nose heavy than tail heavy!!!

I must also say that I am impressed with my OS91fs. I had it in a sort of upside down stick with sleek tail feathers for over a year and it crashed due to an elevator linkage failure about five years ago. Luckily it didn't bend the pushrods. All I did was clean it out and oiled it before putting it away. It was never run after the crash until this Saterday and started on the first flick...............only needed to be leaned out a little as I had been playing with the needle valve. All my glow engines are OS and I won't buy anything else

Hope to get it sorted and fly it again this Saterday [8D]
Old 09-10-2007, 11:25 AM
firestone1121

try the foam like i did. you shouldnt have any more problems with that. im running a 12 x 6 prop today- as the os 61 i have required an 11x7 break in prop and flew 4-5 flights with that. i dont think this plane requires a huge prop if you have a bigger motor. one thing i noticed too is that she MOVES! its quicker than my nexstar and the landings are a breeze! landings are a little hotter too! but the 3 point landings almost happen by themself. one key to this plane is balance balance balance(as almost all other planes) im very happy with it tho- i didnt expect it to fly as well as it does. and she looks awesome in the air! point rolls are fun on this bird. but this was my first arf and only my second plane- heres to more to come!

Name:	Ca81511.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	760257  
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM
jeanyves0922

RMazuera,

You probably missed my post#163

From post 110, I noticed that the mount is off-centered. Is there a reason for this?
(Before I start building, I am trying to gather as much info as possible. Gaining experience...)
Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
rmazuera

Jeanyves0922,
Sorry, you are right, I missed it.
The firewall of the plane is not perpendicular to the rest of the plane. It is built slightly towards the right to compensate for the torque of the engine. If you want the propeller to be exactly in the center, you need to install the back of the engine a little to the left.

Name:	Zx72408.jpg
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	761303  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.