Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

OK, so you want a Razzle flight report?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

OK, so you want a Razzle flight report?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 02:26 AM
grittykitty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, so you want a Razzle flight report?

Then why did ya put the stickers on????? I'm leaving mine off, and I am going to thread some lite-ropes through the wings and fuse. That outta look pretty cool through the transparent covering. :idea:
Old 08-20-2003, 02:01 PM
southern_touch9
My Feedback: (3)

I didnt put the stickers on b/c I dont own the airplane. I didnt buy it b/c I thought the color scheme was tacky. I havent seen that many good looking color schemes on many funfly 3D ARFS. The Scale planes are a different story, they seem to be doing well on those.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:15 PM
grittykitty

I agree on the scale planes, and yes, my razzle does look a little "wierd", but it will definitely stand out at the field. I like the purple on the wings and the red on the front of the fuse, but I don't know who was smoking what when they decided to put the orange/yellow on the back. I'm probably going to strip that off and either continue with the transparent purple, or pick another transparent color, because I still want to put the small lighted-ropes through the plane for evening flying.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:01 PM
LBECKWITH

I am puttling together a Razzle. My LHS told me that it would hover with an OS 50 turning a 12.25 X 3.75 prop. I happen to have these items but as I read this thread it would appear that an OS 50 is far from enough. I am not looking for a jet performer here, just something to begin to learn with. This would be my 9th plane and my first entry into 3D. All up it appears to come in at 6lbs 5oz. Am I wasting my time with the OS 50?? Should I buy a Saito 72. Your comments would be appreciated guys.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:35 PM
STEVE LENZ
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default saito 72

Spend the extra $ and get a saito 100 you will not be sorry. The OS 50 sx is not much more than a 46 fx with beef. I saw one at the club with a OS 61 FX and it was OK but it could still use more power for hovering. For what it worth Just my 2 cents Steve
Old 09-02-2003, 01:05 AM
grittykitty

I put the saito 100 on my razzle, w/ a zinger 15x6 prop, and using wildcat 30% heli fuel. I'm hovering at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, and when you nail it from a hover, it is a vertical drag racing machine. You should put the largest engine recommended (some people go even larger - some debate here), because if it is too much, you can always throttle back, but if your engine is too small, you have nowhere to go from there (other than the LHS for the bigger engine you should've bought in the first place). That, and if you wish to get into hangin' it on the prop, you may be able to do it with the smaller engine (i.e. - saito 72), but you will be doing it at near full throttle, which leaves you no room to power out of a potenial mistake or bad situation. My $.02
Old 09-02-2003, 02:01 AM
RCDevote
Banned

The Saito 72 would fly it very well, but will not produce enough to "blast" out of a hover. It will however, fly itself out of a hover nicely with the 72. I have had a 72 on mine and loved it. I now have a 91 Surpass on mine and the climbing flat spins are amazing and a climbing knife edge spin is unbelievable.....had the best two days flying in my life these last two...the Razzle is more than a blast to fly....had everybody just ooohing and awwing every time I flew....really.
I went from hovering straight to a slow motion inverted flat spin with just a blip of throttle and down ele then full rudder...flat as a pancake..whop, whop, whop....then added power and it went directly into a knife edge spin that just hung there at full throttle....and then started to climb...in KE! While spinning 'round the wing!
Truly the best 3d'n plane I've owned.
It took awhile to get completely familiar with it's strengths and weaknesses but it was worth the wait.
Did the carbon fiber round the stab top and bottom le & te, no worries here.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:24 AM
grittykitty

Definitely agree with RCDevote. This plane is is a blast to fly, and if you're going to get into serious 3D (like mixing in ailevators), bracing the horizontal stabilizers is a MUST!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	106702_44623.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	35978  
Old 09-02-2003, 12:06 PM
RCDevote
Banned

OOOOOH, I like your setup way better than mine...you got NO SLOP!
Mo Bedda!
Old 09-02-2003, 06:33 PM
grittykitty

I had to pull back some of the ultracote to place a ply mounting block in the bottom of the fuse, then re-cover and mount the strut (no...the horizontals don't MOVE). The linkages are all swivel ball links on Hobbico CS65 hi-torq/speed servos (96 oz. / 0.13 sec. @ 6V). Even with the extra materials (mounting block, brace strut, heavier linkages, fuel button, remote glow, bigger 5 cell, etc.) I'm weighing in a 6lbs 13oz. This thing is TIGHT and maneuverable in high rate.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:48 PM
LBECKWITH

Default RE: OK, so you want a Razzle flight report?

I flew my Razzle today and was very impressed with its performance and handling. I settled for a Saito 72 swinging a 13 4w APC prop. Is this the right prop for this set up?? It hovers at about 2/3 throttle and pulls out slowly as predicted. I put lower flying wires on the horizontal stabilizer and one washer behind motor mount for right thrust. One wasn't enough; two are needed. The plane came in at 6lbs 8oz and is the most fun to fly of any plance I have. Thanks for all your comments and reports on the Razzle as they helped me make better decisions and avoid problems.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:30 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Congrats, Larry!
Yup, the APC 13X4W is a perfect match for the 72....you could even try a 14X4W and have a wee bit better pull out from hover I think.
Down side is the price of the 14X4...but the 72 will swing it just fine.....
Old 09-17-2003, 12:45 PM
johnyh

The Razzles are now available this side of the pond. Are they a worthy consideration as a bigger brother to the Flip. Should I consider one as it's potential replacement
Old 09-17-2003, 05:16 PM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

I have a friend who flies a flip-nice plane, but when I let him fly my razzle, he couldn't wait to buy one. A week later his was at the field-he has not flown his flip since. He powered his as mine, a saito 100, which I think is the perfect combination for this plane. I don't know the price difference in the UK, but in the States, the razzle price beats the flip hands down buy about $70.00.
I would definitely consider it a great replacement for the flip.
Dhammer
Old 09-17-2003, 11:16 PM
LBECKWITH

Thanks for the reply on my razzle experience. Who makes a 14X4W prop an where might I buy one? Thanks.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:36 PM
grittykitty

APC makes a 14x4W
Old 09-18-2003, 12:21 AM
LBECKWITH

Thanks for the info on APC 14X4W. I didn't see it at Tower Hobbies link to the APC web site. I will try to get one tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:48 PM
LBECKWITH

picked up a 14X4w prop today. Will try to fly it in razzle with Saito 72 tomorrow(weather permitting- it rained all day today). Will let you know results.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:32 PM
LBECKWITH

I flew the 14X4W APC prop today. Performance was less than the 13X4W prop so I switched back. Now that I am comfortable with this set up I wish I had gone to at least a 90 4 stroke. I will see if I can get another cowl from Hangar 9 so I can put in a 90.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:20 PM
LBECKWITH

Got an OS 90 for Christmas, ordered an new cowl and installed both. I have flown it about 10 flights since then and all I can say is WOW. What a difference. It is my favorite fly now!!!! Only having trouble with a horizontal knife edge. She wants to continue losing altitude. Any suggestions on for a solution.