Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Prop Selection

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Prop Selection

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM
FoamyVictim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop Selection

I'm putting together a Funtana 90 with an Enya 120R. I'm trying to find a 3-D prop in that motor's range. I was thinking an 18x4, or maybe a 17x4, but I can't seem to find those sizes. Do they exist somewhere, or am I way off? I just bought a 15x4 for my OS 91 FSII, and I've had a 16x4 wide on there before. I plan to run 10% nitro at pretty close to sea level. Any suggestions on where I might find props in that size?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 AM
outssider
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Prop Selection

you are right in the ballpark...

check apc...i know they have the 17/4w
they have a 18/6w also....but that would be too much for your engine......
Old 08-19-2007, 05:30 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

APC 16x6 or 16x6W is probably the most you want to swing with it.Its 4 stroke right?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 PM
FoamyVictim

Yes, in fact I fired it up for the first time this evening. I was suprised, I didn't really expect it to just run. Under the valve cover was very clean, but I decided to try and flush it out before I ran it. Lost of corrosion came out of the main bearing closest to the prop, basically orange fuel. So I flushed it with some old fuel(maybe 2 months old) and cleared it. The one thing I really don't like about this motor so far is the glow plug location/orientation. I just happen to have a very short glow ignitor, and it still nearly touches the prop. I tried to rig a smaller, but very old, remote glow system, no luck. So I plan to buy a new one like anther I have on a P-40, so that's not really that bad. I think a 17x4 sounds good, it swung the 16x8 I had pretty well. I couldn't test for long, the area wasn't well ventilated. Like I said, I really didn't expect it to fire off so easy...

I can't seem to find the instructions online. This 4-stroke is different from my O.S. 91; it has a port on the bottom of the crank case. Where should a fuel line on that lead? I started to put it on the pressure feed for the tank, but I noticed as I turn it over, the fuel moves back and forth. What's it for?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
FoamyVictim

Oh yeah! When I pulled the plug it had in it, it was a 2 stroke plug(short) Should it have a longer 4 stroke plug? It runs with a 2 stroke plug... [X(]
Old 08-22-2007, 02:16 PM
FoamyVictim

Does anyone in here know anything about Enyas, or should I check the scale section? I'm learning more as I dig into them, and it seems they're better suited to scale or light sport applications.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Jack Hyde

Several guys in the "Glow engines" section are Enya fans. There are Enya threads there. Enyas are fine engines from what I read, just hard to get in the US.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:13 PM
FoamyVictim

Where is the link for the nitro section? I must be blind!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Jack Hyde

The forums are listed under "Airplanes", then "Helis", then "Boats" , then "Engines". low engines is in the Engines area.
The nipple on the bottom of the case is probably a vent to allow excess oil a way to get out of the crankcase. That is what it is on Saitos.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 AM
FoamyVictim

Yup, found it not long after I posted. I thought it'd be right under airplanes...thanks though. I now know it is a crank case vent. I wasn't sure because the O.S. 4 stroke I already had doesn't have one...