Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What is a good starting plane for 3D and aerobatics

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What is a good starting plane for 3D and aerobatics

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 PM
chuck993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good starting plane for 3D and aerobatics

Hi,

I have a Ultra Stick 60, Yak 54 90 size, a Showtime 50(Just got) and I want to do aerobatics and 3D, hovering, etc...

What is a good plane and setup, that is inexpensive to do knife edge, hovering, 4 point rolls, spins, etc...

my Stick does some stuff (has an O.S.91 in it), my Yak does some (had an O.S. 120, just replaced with a G20 Gas, haven't flown it yet) and I have never flown the Showtime 50, I just got it, it has a 52 NX in it, but I was thinking of putting a O.S. 91 in it. I also have an Extra 330 that I have not built, 60 size.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: What is a good starting plane for 3D and aerobatics

I would work on your set up skills and use the Stick for most of the practice stuff.Its more capable than you think,so play with all the adjustments.I'd move to the Showtime after that,but not use the 91,use the 52 if its any good.
Or get a 90 size Showtime and use the 91 or the OS 120 that you have.The bigger showtime will make 3D look better with its light wingloading and bigger presentation.
Once you get very comfortable with the Stick,the Showtime will seem like a real easy and high performance aircraft,which can used to advance your skills to high levels.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 PM
-StephenSampson-

showtime can be 3d if you set it up right. mine is 3d.

inch and a half alum servo arms all around
hitec 5625's all around except 5945 on rudder
os 120ax
xoar 16 x 6 prop
all ball links
high rates=as much as they can move without hitting anything (except elevator because mine is tail heavy and the plane kind of snaps anyway)

but its a good performer. im not amazing at flying it yet but ive let other people fly it and they really liked it with my setup (it had a ys110 till recently...recently being under a week ago )

ps...its a showtime 90
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM
chuck993

I thought the showtime 50 with a Evolution 52nx would not be able to hover, is that true? That is why I was thinking of going with the O.S.91 Four Stroke, which I already have. I use the stick all the time, it is not good for knife edge, but it is good for a lot of other things, including flying in some strong winds and cross winds when you can not fly the other planes.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Rush7
My Feedback: (74)

I would recommend that you get a profile if you want an all out 3D performer. The EF Chinn Yak is a great one along with the Mojo and the TMPRO Katana if you can find one. The great thing about a profile is they seem to take a lot of abuse are relativly cheap and can be flown in some stiff wind which makes it easy to practice your rolling harriers.
You have some good planes. I am not sure about the Showtime with the 52nx. You will just have to prop it right and see if it will pull out of a hover. I think setuo right the 52nx make just work for you. I would say that a Saito 72 or 82 would do the trick for all out power on the Showtime. The OS 91 maybe overkill and the weight could kill your wing loading which is not good for 3D and aerobatics.

Hope this helps
Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 AM
-StephenSampson-

the 52nx would be useless.....you would be able to do circuits, a loop (maybe) and roll......use the 91.....its better to have the power and use throttle management....more power can really save you if you get into trouble. and spinning a larger prop really helps hovering because hovering you get all your control from your prop wash (air pushed over your surfaces) so if your prop is bigger you get more prop wash....your 91 can probably spin a 14-15 inch prop....your 52 can probably spin a 12 inch prop. maybe 13......you definately want an engine with more power especially if your starting 3d. i had a saito 81 ijn my old funtana 40. it was awesome. don't skimp on power man. (but always fiberglass your firewall on the inside. some preventative maintenance is always a good idea with 4-strokes)

showtime is an amazing plane and handles a bigger engine quite nicely.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:47 PM
playntraffic

What is wrong with your Yak 54? Yak's make some of the best 3d performers. Knife edge and spins should be great. Going from the OS 120 to a G20 should be a power loss and weight gain. Does the Yak have big control surfaces? That would be my choice between what you have. Either that or the Extra 330. If it is the Phoenix Models 330 then that is a real good 3d plane. Put your OS91 on the 330. I flew my 330 with a SK90 and it would hover at about 3/4 throttle. You should do better than that.

If you want to fly 3d with the 52NX then get a 40 sized profile like the Mojo.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM
AKFireMedic
My Feedback: (2)

2nd on the profile thing. Get a Mojo and don't look back!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 PM
theradioflyer

Get something you won't mind smacking around a bit to reduce the pucker factor. Profiles: glow and electric did it for me. You'll bounce them off of the ground from time to time, all part of the learning curve. OMP make some good profiles as well.

Good-Luck and God Bless Ya,

Jay
Old 03-20-2008, 09:49 PM
simmo8

G-Day

i dont realy know what your skill leval is but no mater what it is i would recomend the typhoon 2 3d it is very strong and very easy to fix if you do happen to crash it and spare pars are cheep. i am lerning on one and it is great.

happy fying
simmo
Old 03-21-2008, 07:31 AM
chuck993

I went with the G20ei for thrust over the O.S.120 HP, I thought the thrust from a gas or four stroke would be better for hovering type manuvers. The Yak is a seagull yak 54 90 size, now with the G20ei, still haven't got it airborne yet with the G20ei, had to work out some bugs, hopefully this weekend I can try it out. It flew well with the O.S. 120, but I couldn't hold it in a hover, which I thought was partially due to the 2 stroke lag....I get mixed advise on the showtime 50, some say to leave the 52nx in it and get a wide prop, some say to put the O.S.91 surpass in it. I have not put the Extra 330 together yet, should be together soon, I fly my stick all the time, I use to have a Saito 100 in it and that was more powerful than the O.S.91, but the Saito kept losing mufflers, mufflers breaking off and damaging the cylinder! Three times btw! O.S. Engines have been no fuss, reliable, no problems at all..start right away, run great...
Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep practicing with the stick myself. Do you have the mixing done for knife edge? That seems to help alot. I would then set your high rates to 3D and get the expo where you like it. I'd also start moving the CG back a little at a time. That helps tremendously. Ever try to hover a nose heavy plane on the simlulator? As soon as the CG is moved back, it's a totally different plane. If the Saito is giving you fits, put the OS .91 in it and go flying. My buddy has one in a Hog Bipe swinging a 16" prop and has not had a lick of trouble with it.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:45 AM
chuck993

Ultra stick has no fuse, I believe that is why it cannot hold the knife edge, but is also why it can fly in just about any wind conditions, so it is a trade off. I have an O.S. 91 in there now, with a 13x8 prop, I was thinking of putting a 13x4W on it and see how that does.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:31 PM
delman

On the 60 size stick try a 14x8 with your engine as the plane can handle more speed. For more of a true 3D plane try a 15x4 to keep speed down with larger flight controls with the possibility of flutter.