Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Funtna s90 & saito FA125 any advices for the start?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Funtna s90 & saito FA125 any advices for the start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:15 AM
Pawel Rzedzicki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtna s90 & saito FA125 any advices for the start?

Hi!!!

A miracle happened and i bought a brand new S90 with new saito 125 in a very good price, as for Poland I wonder if after a couple of years of flying these birds you guys can give me some advies what should i pay attention for during the assembly and before maiden. Should anything be reinforced, modified etc?
I'm going to use APC16x4W, Hitec 5625 for ailerons and elevator halves, and Futaba Power Hummer for the rudder. I know the last one is a little hardcore, but these servos are left after selling my 50cc gasoline Yak. By the way after a half year of flying gasoline i go back to glow models. So what the gas i cheaper. It stinks, model stinks also and you cant take it home to work with it, it takes too long to go to the real flying field and many other reasons made me to quit gas.
My last plane before gas model was funtana x100 but i didnt like it too much. My one didnt fly nice without the SFG which looked for me stupid. I am at this hobby for 2 yrs and always wanted an S90 and i hope it will not dissapoint me
Old 03-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Funtna s90 & saito FA125 any advices for the start?

You will enjoy the plane. You need to add a piece of 1/8" ply to the top of the landing gear block. I make mine 1" longer than the block and over hang by 1/2" on each side. Then add a little 1/4" try stock to the top of that along the fuse sides. Never had a gear failure after that. That is the only thing I strengthen and I'm on my third Funtana 90. You may want to put the rudder servo under the canopy on a pull pull system also going with that motor.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 AM
-StephenSampson-

i never had a gear failure anyway....except when the bolts fell out cuz i forgot locktite......if you dont land hard, it wont be a problem.....but reinforcing things is not a bad idea....these planes fly really good. the 125 might be slightly underpowered but you will see....i have flew a guy at the clubs f90 a few years ago with a ys 110 (about same power as saito 150 but less weight) and it was an amazing combo. i also had a ys110 in my showtime....good but ended up getting 120ax cuz the ys was a little finicky for me and needed more nitro than i like to have to buy.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Pawel Rzedzicki

Thanks for the answers. Today my bird arrived to me. Looks pretty nice there will be only minor ironing needed. Also looks glue wasnt saved for another plane About the engine i think it will be quite enough. I have seen videos with saito 100 and still these birds had pretty nice pull out from a hover.
I got one question: on other very big thread about s90 some users mentioned there was some wing modification made during the production of this plane. I have no idea what was it exactly. Can anyone explain it to me so that i can see if my are old or new ones?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:44 AM
bbagle1

Move everything you cvan to the front. If not it will be tail heavy.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Pawel Rzedzicki

I have read a lot about its CG and i agree with people who say its a 3d plane and it must have aft CG. As i have read about 18 cm from leading edge by the fuse is the best for 3D and ill try to make mine like this. I have an alu spinner i also can put the reciever pack under the cowl.
Moving CG too far to the front will spoil its 3D capibility. Wing rocking in harriers, snaping during tight stalled loops, everything is caused mainly by too front CG
Old 03-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Pawel Rzedzicki

My baby is RTF now With 6V 1500 mah accu on engine box it balanced at about 16 cm from leading edge measured by the fuse. Hmmmm, i hoped it will be tail heavy But for the maiden i won't make me any harm i think. Without fuel it weights per the maual, about 3,6 kg. I bought an alu spinner and i think a must exchange it for an plastic one. Some weight from the nose will be gone.
The weather is very bad now so i think maybe next weekend ill break in the engine anr try my yellow girl at the air.

Still im interested about the wing modification which manufacturer provided during production of the S90. Does anyone know wat it was?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:04 AM
btoby

thinner and sharper leading edge
Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

Still im interested about the wing modification which manufacturer provided during production of the S90. Does anyone know wat it was?

I have an early one and I checked with H 9 when the new wing came out and I was told that the wing ribs were one piece on the first kits and the newer ones were made up of more than one piece and have a cross brace notched into the rib. I also was told that if I had an older wing I would be ok if the ribs were not cracked between the lighting holes in the one-piece rib. I would look inside the wing and compare it to the X100 wing you have. Newer F 90 will look the same as the X100. The F 90 has a different airfoil and will fly very different than the X100. Try making you SFG’s out of clear Lexan plastic and make then shorter, sad to say the F 90 flies better with small SFG. IMO.

If you ever want to go back to a bigger gasser (bigger is better), try looking into using Aviation Gas from your local airport. AV gas has no smell. I used to do this because I would fly a gasser before I went to work and I would smell like gas all day. The higher octane was not a problem.

I have both the F 90 and X100, can’t wait to here your opinion of the two planes, Good Luck.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:33 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

There are two different F90 wings. Look at the servo area. The newer wing has a rib on each side of the servo bay. The ribs are bout 1" apart. The first wings had the servo bay next to a rib and then long stringers running to the next rib. The ribs are about 5" apart. This is a week area and pron to flutter. The new F100 wing has a different airfoil. It is thinner. If you have the old style wing I would open it up and tie the stringers to the spar and trailing edge sheeting.

David
Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM
3dsky
My Feedback: (84)

The F 90 manual shows to install a ball link on the plastic horn on the ailerons. The side loaded plastic horn flexes and IMO was a big NO NO . I would bet a few planes went in because of this mistake. The new F X100 manual has you use a standard clevis, much better, no side load. The plastic horn is too flexible for this size of plane so I never use then. I would use the same setup as the Showtime, it has a more robust setup.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:36 AM
Pawel Rzedzicki

So, i have the new type wings Yesterday was a perfect weather so i couldnt resist to maiden my bird. The Saito ran perfect from first start. Knowing way too rich lsn factory settings i leaned it about 1 turn before starting and had no problem with flooding. I ran it on the ground for about 15 minutes. It worked just like fully broken in engine. There was no need to keep torturing it so with a little richer hsn i took it in the air.
I must say WOW. One click on aileron, one on elevator and it flew stright. I have never imagined a plane can fly so light. The CG with reciever pack on the engine box is very accurate. On inverted i need just a touch of down elevator. Landings are very easy. The only thing you have to be afraid is the wind. This light bird is very sensitive on each smallest breeze.
The first think i wanted to check out during the maiden was the famous terrible funtana's knife edge. I use a 24 kg servo on rudder and must say it KE's just like other planes i have owned before Rolling harriers are easy and very smooth. Waterfalls stright, at least i have a plane which makes them nice. Harriers both inverted and upright very stable. Hovering is very easy, ailerons stop the torque roll very nice. Blender wasnt the best but maybe it will be improved by increasing elevator movements.
Now about the engine performance. With 16x4W and still on the rich side it is a dynamite Puls out from hover just like i wanted to do it. I didnt tach it but i think 10000 rpm is no problem for it. And it takes so little fuel. After 10 minutes flight with variable speeds it took about 200 ml. My previous fa125 in x100 did almost double it and didnt have so much power. Maybe x100 was heavier, i dont know.
My only complaint is the oil on the plane after a couple of flights. But i think it is mostly the engine ventilation line spiting so much so i prolonged it and fastened to the landing gear. Hope it will help.

Generally i love this combo. S90 is better a lot compared to x100. It flies more softly and doesnt need the SFG to eliminate any bad tendences. I'm very pleased and hope after next weekend will be able to show some videos.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
daveopam

Great job on the maiden flight. Most of the knife edge problems I have heard are on the F40/F50. I have flown a F90 a few times. It has been good on knife edge. There are a few things you can try on the blender. One would be a spoiler mix. The other is a little more speed. These light airplanes need the extra momentem to carry through a good blender. At least IMHO.

David
Old 04-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Pawel Rzedzicki

Finally i had a friend with camera so he filmed 2 minutes of my flight. Here it is http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=ypucedD9cSo
Still with safe CG, no balooning during ladnings and inverted with just a touch of down elevator.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
daveopam

I could not tell what you were saying,but nice job. Sounded like a windy day and the F90 seemed to handle it just fine.

David
Old 04-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Pawel Rzedzicki

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I could not tell what you were saying,but nice job.

David
Sorry if my english wasnt too well What part was unclear for you?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

here's a build on the funtana that I copied as far as the firewall... http://derrick.myphotoalbum.com/view...umName=album02

I also threw away the tail wheel and have a Klett tail wheel which is no longer made, but I think Dubro bought the design and now makes them... this is it but mine is yellow http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...161.5184.0.0.0

I also painted my engine box and firewall along with supports in the fuse for the LG and firewall.

I put a small amount of epoxy on every joint that I could reach, in the fuse and the wings

You might also want to seal the stripes and stickers with mail polish because eventually some of the covering will peel off.

someone said it before but you should put a block of wood under that tail wheel for more support

I also put a strip of wood behind the area in the fuse for the servos screws to have more bite
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I am estatic as I picked up an S90 used but in pristine condition.I read the threads and have just a few questions.the previous owner had a OS BGX-1(roughly 1.08) installed.I happen to have the exact engine with a pitts muffler and that was part of the attraction in buying.but I am wondering if an OS 120 I have laying around would be even better?easy to swap out.

also no manual so where is the CG????I like the idea of a pull system too.as for servos I have plenty of hitec 645mg....couyld go to 6v but at 4.8v the torque is a little over 100 oz. and given split elevatos I imagine that is alot more than truly needed for small surfaces.

I am betting this will fly smoother than my old funtana s40.I have been flying 3D hobby electrics of late and have really improved my advanced aerobatic skills with blenders and inverted harriers etc.

and lastly is the age old problem with landing gear.I was going to swap out metal screws for nylon so that a hard landing doesnt take out the landing block too.

would love to hear from you guys.if this does as well as I hope I will likely go with the replacement funtana X100..
Old 04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

cloudancer, I would fly it with the 1.08 first to see what you think of it and then try the 120....it will be a pain to change the blind nuts but at least they are easier to get at than other planes.

I used to have 645's on my funtana and then switched them out to jr 125 mg's the 645's are much slower and I run everything on 6v... I like the jr 125's for the price and seem much faster to me than the 645's

it's up to you if you want to use nylon screws but all I've done is to beef up the supports in the fuse for the LG..... I've pancaked my LG several times since adding extra support.... before the extra support I did rip them out but it's a fairly easy fix since the fuse isn't sheeted.

the funtana 100x really isn't a replacement it's just a different plane, the 90s is more an all out 3d machine and the 100x is better at precision flying from what I understand.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

I like your thought about jr.I use alot of jr's and the price on the 125 is good! thanks for your help.did you use a pull pull system or stick with the original specs..