Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Excite 90 maiden voyage.

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Excite 90 maiden voyage.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Damnathius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excite 90 maiden voyage.

I flew my new Excite 90 for the first time this afternoon. Power is an OS .91 FX. I'm no expert on 3D flying, but all I can say is this is a very stable aircraft that seems like it will do whatever I tell it to do. Vertical with this engine, even running rich is limited only by my eyesight.

It was pretty windy, but I decided to fly it anyway, which actually added to the fun! Harrier landings are no problem at all. Very little trim was needed, but I think I have it a tad noseheavy as a little bit of up elevator was needed. Ground handling is great, except for heavy weathervaning in the wind.

I did have a substantially warped aileron which I noticed after finishing the plane Sunday evening. Monday I sent an a-mail to Global product support, and yesterday (Wednesday) I had a new set of ailerons. Excellent service!

The only substantial change I made to this plane was to install a steering arm as an elevator bellcrank to eliminate ANY differential in the elevator half travels caused by a rotary servo pushing a linear pushrod. Everything else went together well. I also eliminated all metric control hardware.

Looking forward to having some fun with this baby! As I said, I'm no expert on 3D, but I think this plane has excellent potentail.

Dave
Old 05-04-2003, 10:49 AM
philfun
My Feedback: (58)

Default excite

Hi Dam,

I am glad you like it. It's my favorite between UCAN DO , FUN WORLD,and EXCITE.It look more fun fly than others.
I hope to get one soon at my local hobby shop.
Global web site don't give too many details about the span
and the weight. Do you know what is the ready to fly weight
on yours ?

Thanks a lot

Phil
Old 05-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Damnathius

Default Excite 90 maiden voyage.

Hi Phil,

This plane seems to be very similar to the UCD 3D in size and design. As far as the weight goes, I imagine it's in the 7 to 7.5 pound range, as it is put together using the recommend engine size, and nothing else is very different as far as components used. The wingspan is 61", length is 67", and the stab span is almost 30".

I'm still working on the balance, and yesterday I added 1.5 ounces to the tail as it was acting pretty nose heavy and took this amount of weight to get it balanced at the recommended "center" of the balance range. I like to start nose heavy and work my way back. I have yet to fly it again, but I expect it will be more responsive and hopefully the shifting of the CG will have eliminated it's tendancy to head down in turns, and down while inverted due to the up elevator trim required for level flight.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Imac Kiwi

Default RE: <span class=

Sounds heavy. Mine worked out at 6.5lbs with an OS 91FX. Solved the elevator pushrod problem by making a 3/32 ply plate to mount onto the elevator servo mount with 2 HS 81MG servos. Works great.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:09 AM
Damnathius

Default RE: <span class=

Heavy? Probably not, but I have no scale to weigh it. After the first few flights with the FX .91, I shelved that troublesome engine and put in a Saito 100. Still flying great to this day, and judging by the vertical performance, if it is "heavy", the engine doesn't seem to care.

Enjoy your plane.

Dave