Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 U-Can-Do 3d 46? >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Old 06-02-2005, 07:01 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Welcome Dave.... Sorry about your mishap.... I had the same thing
happen to my Dazzler, I've done tons of fast spins, but this one time
when I tried to pull out NADA think happened. I did back off the
throttle, but now thinking about it I think it was to minimize the
impact... I did try to roll out along with pulling out up right and
inverted, But nothing.. After bringing the plane back, a good
pilot said sometimes you just can't get clean air to pull out of spins
like that and that the best chance of a recovery is to cut the throttle
and release the sticks for a bit then slowly add some throttle and
try to recover with up elevator and or addition of ailerons....
Don't know if that works.. it never happened again, But I did
start stopping the spins to clean the air a little higher since then:-0
Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Dave, you got it wrong, you're suppose to circle the wagons and center the sticks. You are right about this plane being so easy to fly that it encourages more and more difficult stunts. I've had the same problems, I'm on number 4. Sould maiden it this Saturday.
On the servo lock up discussion. My servos almost always will "cam over" and lock up with no radio on. But if I turn the radio on, even with them locked up, the power tends to center the servo and releases the lock up. So I don't think that would be a problem when flying. But then again, I sew props.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 06-02-2005, 08:57 PM

Dave, When mine spiraled in several of the guys came over to check out the carnage and as fellow pilots usaully do they mentioned things like - "some planes will spiral in like that" and "you should have done this or that with the sticks and throttle to pull out of it" The trouble is that when mine crashed it all happened so fast and the plane was already set up into a spin so it took me a moment to realize that it started doing something that wasn't part of the plan, by that time it was too late. Next time I'll know better........ I think....[:-]
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 PM

Hey CeeGee,
I've read some good things about the world models CAP, about the only bad thing was nobody likes the pilot.It does have the CAP tuck with rudder, so just mix in some ele.. CAPs elevators are sensitive, they have a tendency to snap with too much. So just dial it in pull back and around you go. The prison is behind our field so its no factor.

Welcome Dave,
I'd go with CeeGees recommendation about the longer arms, and use some good servos, I've stripped some with this plane. I use hitec 635s now, and they work great.

Hope it helps.........SPUDs out
Old 06-02-2005, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: SPUD37

Hey CeeGee,
It does have the CAP tuck with rudder, so just mix in some ele.. CAPs elevators are sensitive, they have a tendency to snap with too much. So just dial it in pull back and around you go. The prison is behind our field so its no factor.

Spud, Not sure what that part means. Are you saying you have to do some programing in to get it to fly right?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:52 AM

Hey CeeGee,
No they fly great just the way they are. As you know mixing just lowers some of the stick movements we have to do. You know how our UCDs drop the nose with rudder, its slight but still there. Well the CAPs are the same. Just about all the same couplings as the UCDs. Didn't mean to scare you the CAPs are great flying planes. Just giving you a heads up on some of the common CAP quirks.

Happy loops and rolls.............SPUDs out
Old 06-03-2005, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome Dave, my 60 size did the same thing, only i was coming out of a knife at about 20-30 ft and rolled out on high rates, flipped all the way over inverted and freaked on the stick and i just watched it spiral into the ground and later decided it was just me trying to bend the sticks to save it,didnt happen,so now im forever nervous of the knife, i can do them 40 ft and higher but no low passes anymore

hey guys! didnt leave ya, ive just been tied up lately, im in Vegas now, my son had a appendix attack and had it removed yesterday so ive been hanging around the hospital and will pick him up today and get hometonight, great pics and ill talk to you guys later.seems like everytime you have a fun day with the ucd something comes up and you cant fly again for a week or two
Old 06-03-2005, 11:09 AM

Hopefully the weather will hold out for some flying tomorrow morning. I am going to take some of the weight off the front to move my CG back a little bit. See if I cant start proving how easy this plane makes maneuvers.

I also want to set up a couple of other changes this evening. The first is to give myself a little more Rudder Throw. I berly use it unless i am trying a trick, so i might as well have a lot of throw. I dont have Duals on my rudder so I have to live with what i set it to for everything.

I have a Futaba 6exa. I have Dual Rates on my Elevator and Ailerons, can do some mixing, end point adjustement and exponential. I learned to fly with the basic Analog so I am still getting used to things like expo.

You guys got any suggestions on what kind of expo and mixing i should set up.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:56 PM

Hey Barry,
Your right we do have the sunshine all year. But this time of year you have to put floats on your UCD with all the rain we get. Remember we're at sea level & it floods. But then again an inverted spin would look great with the floats hanging up in the air. What do you think? Although you realize in the winter my legs get cold enough that I have to trade the shorts in for jeans & those long sleeve T-shirts throw my thumbs off abit. Of-course now in the summer, with the 90 deg /99% humidity, we usually break down to our tank-tops & thongs...........HaHaHa. Oh well gotta go find my sunglasses and get back to work[8D]
Old 06-03-2005, 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: sctcrash

Ceegee, I also thought of your posts about the horn binding. That only happens to mine when i accidently hit the control service getting it in and out of the car, but it does make me nervous about it happening in the air.
Well, I can't be sure if that's what did it but I feel better about the set up since I changed it. It looks better too.

Spud, I know what you mean now. I haven't done too much mixing on my planes yet, not enough time lately. I think I'll go ahead and order a CAP once my house sells. I just wasn't sure why the Worlds Models Breittling and Matt Chapman type ones are so much more $. I didn't know if I was missing something..........[:-]
Old 06-03-2005, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: SPUD37

Hey Barry,
Your right we do have the sunshine all year. But this time of year you have to put floats on your UCD with all the rain we get. Remember we're at sea level & it floods. But then again an inverted spin would look great with the floats hanging up in the air. What do you think? Although you realize in the winter my legs get cold enough that I have to trade the shorts in for jeans & those long sleeve T-shirts throw my thumbs off abit. Of-course now in the summer, with the 90 deg /99% humidity, we usually break down to our tank-tops & thongs...........HaHaHa. Oh well gotta go find my sunglasses and get back to work[8D]
Must be nice.........[8D] Around here there is no such thing as a "flying season." It's more or less a box of chocolates...... ya' never know what ya' gunna get. This past December and January we have sunshine and mid 60's. Lately it's been 50's and overcast.........[:@]
Old 06-03-2005, 06:45 PM

Hey CeeGee,
I went with the GP because of the known quality, you know what we put our UCD's through. But the big thing is that the boss picked out the scheme, and you know that keeping the boss in the game is what its all about. If the wife likes the plane its that much easier to get that tru-turn spinner for it.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:06 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Well, I just put my UCD 46 up, what a great plane One problem though, I am running a Saito 72 w/ Wildcat 15% 2/4 Cycle Syn and I'm only getting 8-9 minute flights [&o], 1/2 to 3/4 throttle max, got the stock tank, 8 oz in it. Anyone have similar flight times? Just wondering before I tear the tank out to check it.

Mac
Old 06-03-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i get 10 min flights with my saito 100 Mac,should be you get at least that i would think.also, a few of us checked the capacity of the so called 8oz taqnk and found it to be 10 oz, check yours and letg us know what you come up with.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:53 PM

MacDaddy-

I am running the same fuel on a Saito 91 and getting anywhere between 9 - 13 minute flights depending on throtle management. I try to make a point to use the minimum amount of throtle necessary when getting from one point to another.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:29 AM

Hey,
Ihave the OS91 on mine with the timer set for 9 min. That gives me 2 min reserve for landing & then some. I imagine when I get better at hovering that might change some.

SPUDs two cents....
Old 06-04-2005, 11:36 AM

Hey guys long time no post! Well I'm going flying tomorrow and should put a couple flights on my newly re-engined UCD. But what I'm really popsting about is to ask if any of you guys have a spare blank or a pre cut out cowling for a Magnum .91. I need a new cowl as my old one was cut out for a O.S. .46 which wasn't enough power for what I wanted to do. Tower Hobbies has them but are out of stock. So any of you got an extra cowl laying around? I'd gladly pay you for it! Thanks Ill let you guys know how flying goes tomorrow...

Colin C
Old 06-04-2005, 06:00 PM

Any one have an extra Saito laying around?
Old 06-04-2005, 08:35 PM

sctcrash, I have an extra 72 saito......[8D]
Old 06-04-2005, 11:03 PM

Well, I saw a different set up today..... A guy at the field had a UCD 60 that he had crashed and the only part surviving was the wing and he also had a Magic fuse so he put the UCD wing on the Magic and made a UCD with Magic, or a Magic UCD, or something like that. [X(] It actually flew pretty good. [8D]
Old 06-05-2005, 08:54 AM

So are you offically a UCD 100 flyer now? Is it everything you dreamt it would be?
Old 06-05-2005, 02:39 PM

Is there a good source out there for explenations of 3d manuevers. Anything that shows, or ateast explains stick movements.

Also, when you put tape over your hinges do you stick it to both the wing and the control surface with lots of play, anyone got a good pic.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:37 PM

Hey SCT,
Check out flyingcirkus.com, also go to www.3dfoamy.com/whats_3d.htm. These should get you going.

Hey Guys,
I tried a new one today- do half a water fall(1/2 of an outside loop real tight), then just fall away in an inverted elevator or harrier, drop to a comfortable altitude, stop in a hover, then go vert while rolling. This thing is too cool

SPUDs out.........
Old 06-05-2005, 04:40 PM

NOW YOU ARE JUST BRAGGING!!

Thanks for the links, i will check them out.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:15 AM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains....

... at 20 mph sustained, gusts to 30 on Saturday when I maidened my U-Can (we had winds gusting to 90 that night here in Tulsa... glad I got my flight in before then ). Not a single problem with the wind. This thing makes me look good. Ha.... I need a couple more of them. I also need a new prop. My 12x6 MA Scimitar just is not cutting it... vertical is only about 30 ft. I'm thinking that an APC 14x4W or a 15x4W will work better. What do you guys think? Oh yeah... it's an OS .70 Surpass II running Cool Power 10%. I'll get some pics up when I can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.