Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 PM
dougwill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Rob Clement - RC
Indoor work as in house fix-ups or repairs? Don't we procrastinate about such things and never do the?
That Mayham is a nice looking plane also. Barry must've fell in love with his. How many straight days of rain out there? (26 or so)
Have to get my x-mas lights down sooooon! Fly if you can. 40 degrees is my lower limit (with sun). I'm a sissy boy.

Anybody have any ideas how to fix a pressure fitting that came loose on my Saito 120 muffler?

Doug[8D]

Old 01-17-2006, 02:45 PM
The MacDaddy
My Feedback: (10)

I'm sure the answer is in one of the almost 3000 posts, but will a Saito 100 fit in the UCD 46 without too much hassle? I have a 72 in there now.

Mac
Old 01-17-2006, 04:16 PM
dougwill

The MacDaddy
I'll answer even though I have an 80 in mine. Everyone that has put a Saito 100 in, has went to a larger mount and moved the engine to center it better. gjeffers could post the pictures I'm sure. Barry would say try 30% heli fuel with the 23% oil to get more zip out of the engine. That's what I'm doing. I'm sure the cowl cut-out would be much larger also.

Doug

Old 01-17-2006, 04:28 PM
The MacDaddy

I am already using 30% heli in it.... it's great most of the time (will pull verticle out of a hover) but if you get a hot/ hot & humid day, it will barely hover below full throttle. My 100 has become "available" but if I have to go to another mount and move bolts, nuf' said, the 72 stays. Now..... what plane do I get for my 100? Help me out, I can say "but Honey, the guys said on the RCU that I GOTTA get a ........."

Mac
Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 PM
BeechTech

I put the 100 in mine after I had an OS 70 in it. I used the same mount and only had to drill 2 new holes in the mount. One of the screws to the firewall had to be changed with a countersunk screw. Thats all I did and its got a few gallons in it and it still holding up well.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 PM
airstik2003

wow!!!!!

can you believe it...
4000 posts, it seams like yesterday we had 3000

yesterday i flew my you can do, it was 42 drgrees which was ok but still a little cold
but i'm happy i few it

i still made no progress on my showtime but i'm no hurry to fly it

Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 PM
airstik2003

mac,

why don't you put it in the 60 "do"
i have a magnum 91 in mine and it flies fine

Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Jack211

4000 posts!?

And, excuse me, guys, how crass and ignorant of me to speak of Twists and Katana 46s in a UCD forum. Yet... I own and fly both a 60 and 40 UCD, so I've paid my dues here. The Can Dos are great learning planes for 3D, no doubt. But I have yet to see one do what the Twist can do, intended pun. Sorry 'bout that.

Jack
Old 01-18-2006, 12:31 AM
CofG

Hey everybody...4000 posts!!!! Wow. That's cool. I think there is only two other threads that have done that. And what a fun ride it's been.
Jack211...
I don't mind your comments about other planes here. It's nice to hear what other planes the UCD owners enjoy. I appreciate your insight. I respectively disagree though about your comments on the Twist. I've flown both the Twist (Saito 82) and the UCD46 (Saito 82) I much perfer the UCD. The only thing I could do better with the Twist was a flat spin. It does them well. But I like the hover better with the UCD and the waterfall and I think the UCD flys more precise in KE etc. than the Twist. It will also do better/smoother rolling circles than the Twist.
Yes the UCD is a 3D trainer, but to me it is sooooooo much more. If you stay with them and keep trimming them and getting used to flying them they fly very well and they will do any 3D stunt and very well. I also feel the visual and the landings are better with the UCD. I know you have both planes and feel difeerently and that's ok. But I just can't let your comments go unanswered. The UCD is my favorite plane, I've flown many others and it continues to be my favorite. I have other but I like the UCDs the best.
Thanks
Bud
Old 01-18-2006, 12:36 AM
Jack211

Raideron,

Just so YOU know--and don't let anyone else in this UCD forum read this--I maidened the Kat today. The ST .45 did everything I wanted it to with a 12.25 x 3.75 prop. If I ever try the .51 on it, it'll be just for fun. The Kat doesn't "float" as much as I'd like, but she did everything I asked of her: knife edge circles, hovers, inverted spins, elevator, accurate loops. She flies inverted with more "up" elevator than I'd like, maybe a CG change is due (now at the book's 5.25 inches). But, in three 14 minute flights, I really didn't put her though her stuff. She has more elevator and rudder authority than the Twist, for sure.

Jack
Old 01-18-2006, 12:41 AM
CofG

Jack211...
Congrats on your maiden! Sounds fun.
It snowed another 4" here today. A friend called me from our club, asked me to go fly in the snow with him. I told him to take a hike. But if I hear anymore about you guys flying maybe I will.
Anyways, have fun guys.
Thanks
Bud
Old 01-18-2006, 12:52 AM
Jack211

CofG,

I appreciate your comments, gracious and generous. I will allow that I do NOT have the time on the UCD 40 that I have with the Twist. Consequently I may have not LEARNED all that bird can do--and teach. With the PRICE of the Can Dos, I will NOT let them become "Hangar Queens." And you are probably very corect re: fine tuning is everything. The more one flies a bird, the more it gets "tuned" to individual needs. I promise you I shall do the tuning on the UCDs I have and will certainly push their envelopes to discover their charms and talents.

I've discovered every bird I have has its own grace, it's own peculiar personality. Even the Lanier Dart, a bird I often detest, a brick to fly on flameouts, has a unique "presence" in the air. It stays where it's put--as a good pattern plane should. My UCD .60, with the Saito 100, though it's a bit of a dog, has the grace of a huge bird, moreso if I treat her right with the sticks. Creating that "grace" is also a matter of experience and transition in flight. ANY bird can look ugly, incompetent in the air. Only the pilot, the wind, and the bird, in that special "relationship," create uniqueness, individuality, that distinct beauty in flight.

Fly well.

Jack
Old 01-18-2006, 01:05 AM
CofG

Jack211...
Couldn't agree more...every plane I've flown I've liked, well execpt for one, and I love the individuality of each one. Another think I notice is the engine makes a huge difference. Take your UCD60, average with a 90-100 engine. Outstanding with a YS110. I would love to see one with the new Saito 125. 3 ozs lighter than the YS and the same power. It sounds like the perfect engine for the UCD60. It's hard to balance enough rearward with the YS. But the 3ozs may make the Saito the perfect engine. And the engine makes a HUGE difference. Oh, I already said that. When I put the YS in mine I was astonished. I couldn't believe how much more aerobatic it became. I could "snap" a waterfall so tight it made the plane looks shorter. Hovers became 60% easier and just a touch of throttle makes it rocket out. Wow!!! I couldn't believe it was the same plane. And, a bonus, the YS110 somehow made KE better/easier also. Now with just a little trim I can go horizon to horizon in high alpha low speed knife edge. With the Saito 100 if was much harder. And low and behold, I can now do a "rising flat spin? with the YS 110 in there. Something I couldn't do with the 100. But my elevation hurts all my engines a bunch. It's just harder to fly up here. Not as much control authority and less horsepower. Not a good combo. But hey, it's where I live.
Anyways, if you want to feel like you have a new airplane, drop a YS or Saito 125 in the 60 bird. You'll fall in love all over again.
Thanks
Bud
Old 01-18-2006, 01:12 AM
CofG

Oh...and one other thing....Watch the flat spin landings!!!! They are soooooo easy to do with the UCDs.
Thanks
Bud
Old 01-18-2006, 12:39 PM
dougwill

macdaddy What prop are you using on Saito 72? Also that Sig Mayhem or UCD 60 would be great for that Saito 100. Mayhem is a little pricey $209 i think. Reviews are pretty good.

CofG Bud don't start with those inverted flat spin landings again. Ten people will want to know how to do them.[sm=lol.gif]

Anybody have any ideas how to fix a pressure fitting that came loose on my Saito 120 muffler?Help!

Doug

Old 01-18-2006, 01:36 PM
The MacDaddy

Doug,

I run Wildcat Curtis Youngblood 30% Heli and an APC 14x4W, can't remember exactly but I might get 9500-10k rpm, OS F plug, and I run really rich, the Wildcat CY fuel runs real hot (I will not run it in my Raptor 50, use Coolpower there), reason I use it, the LHS sells it for $15 gallon cash and carry. Does APC have a 13x4W now?

On that muffler pressure fitting, you say it's loose? is it stripped? if so, you could re tap it and put a screw in it and make another with a new fitting. Some pressure fittings can be tapped or have a nut for the back side (inside the muffler)

check it; http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD622&P=ML

or if you re-tap 8-32; http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD623&P=ML

or 10-32 ; http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXD624&P=ML

let me know if that helps.

Mac
Old 01-18-2006, 04:01 PM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: dougwill

Rob Clement - RC
Indoor work as in house fix-ups or repairs? Don't we procrastinate about such things and never do the?
That Mayham is a nice looking plane also. Barry must've fell in love with his. How many straight days of rain out there? (26 or so)

Doug[8D]

It's been house fix-ups and airplane building. Straight days of rain? Oh, I think it was 28 or 29 then 1 day off and then back to the rain......[>:]
Old 01-18-2006, 05:22 PM
dougwill

the macdaddy
Thanks for the fitting numbers. mine is stripped (size? 6-32 i think) will order a couple different sizes. There is not much wall thickness to work with. I have 2 gallons of Wildcat Curtis Youngblood 30% Heli($18 here). Haven't tried it yet. How rich do you run it? You really get 10k on rich settings? Max is 11K i think.

Here is APC 13 x 4. Might be too many revs.

APC 13 x 4 :http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFGV3&P=7.

Doug
Old 01-18-2006, 05:45 PM
raideron

Jack... Great on the maiden!!... I think I set my CG(Fingers) at a bit over 5&1/2 from the
start, hi rates and everything on the throws.... Hands off inverted.... Ohhhhhhh I know
about the not great floating( but not bad).... I had a "Hate" of the love/hate relation with
my YS... She decided to go into the "No sound mode" While working on a low slow harrier
at about 7-8'.... I thought it would pull out of the dive to mother earth.... But not quite
enough[:@].....Dang it........ But I got her back up this morning, and I did not do to bad
a job on the repair.....

As CofG said...... Them big cubes make a difference, and more so if there light tooooooo....
I use to work a bit on K.E. with the "Do" YS 63.... With the S100... I did K.E. circuits, flat
8's etc... and all was eaiser... Hover... like on a string... And she still floated great...
Old 01-18-2006, 08:14 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bud, dont tell but as soon as the next batch of 125's come in i got oneand its going in my ucd 60, its sitting on the table now just waiting on the engine to set up the throttle servo and up up and away[X(]

Mac Daddy, thanks, you never know when the info you want is on the way and you just saved me a lot of looking for a 8-32 nipple, need it for my new header for my 100, thanks

Ron, thats right!!!!![8D]
Old 01-18-2006, 08:53 PM
The MacDaddy

Giffers,

Got the first 125 from the LHS on the fastforward, (wisper) but it's going in my (even quiter) showtime).

Mac
Old 01-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Hi everyone...
I haven't been posting for a while, at least not with my regular name. But I'm gonna come out of hiding a bit and test the waters and see if I can do a few posts without all the backlash. I'll promise to be good.
I've been reading the UCD forum and loving it. You guys have been great...and taking it over 4000 posts, that's incredible.
I've just been laying low. Watching and learning. Haven't done much flying, none in fact. Winter here. Makes me envy gjeffers and radieron and others. Also, don't have any planes to build right now. Looking for some.
I've repaired all my old planes and done some long overdue maintenance. Everything is ready to fly when the weather will allow.
I have a Saito 125 that needs a home. I'm looking forward to some comparison testing between it and the YS110. Should be interesting.
Anyways, great job guys. I've enjoy "just reading" for a few months.
Have a great day.
Thanks
Barry
Old 01-19-2006, 01:26 AM
raideron

Hey Barry.... Howdy.. Howdy... Nice to see you banging on the board again!!
S125... She sounds like a ripe engine!!
The heck with any backlash..... You just keep spreading your great knowledge!!

Glad your back!!...

Have to hit the sack... Have to do some training in the AM... I have to get this
guy off the cord... He's doing well, I think he just likes the comfort of the cord
Anyway hope I can stay warm... It gets cold here at 40 or so:-) But very flyable
But as Gary said..... We pay for it come Summer.....

Dang it's good having Ya back!!
Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 AM
Jack211

Ditto RAideron, Barry. Glad to have you back.

Jack
Old 01-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Jack211

Raideron, it's the GROUND which scares the newbies. Make him fly several passes over the runway lower and lower. Then, when he's set up right, tell him to cut the throttle and bring her home.

Fly well.

Jack

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.