Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 U-Can-Do 3d 46? >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Old 07-25-2006, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

So you cant charge a nimah battery pack with the standard futaba chargers you recieve with the radio. And also on the engine I thought the 70 surpass was the largest for that plane. Maybe I'll check on a different engine then since I havent ordered it yet. Just the plane and radio. Ive read quite a bit on here and it seems everyone love the saito engines. Were do you all purchase those at on line. I usually order everything through tower but don't see those.

Thank you
Old 07-25-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

allyric, first welcome , and as far as the saitos go the 100 is the largest you should go and the 82 is the over all perfect choice by most everyone here including me, (i have a 100 in mine and do love it) but if i sere to buy another for a do id just go with the 82.

you can purchase one at horizon or at wholesale trains (which happens to be my favorite and has all)

here are both links below

http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Airpl...one&Item=Saito

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...px?BrandId=SAI
Old 07-25-2006, 02:22 PM

oh, allyric, wholesale trains has no sales tax or shipping charges for orders over 75 bucks
Old 07-25-2006, 02:26 PM

Blisster, almost forgot, the velosity stack, click below

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...i50gk93&CatId=

ohhhh man, there backordered again, very popular item, stay on it they will be back[:@]
Old 07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Blisster, I couldn't fit a Bru Line filter on mine but if you can fit one on your velocity stack when you get it, I can send you one. I have 3 of them. It was too small of an area to get one in around the engine mount. Yours might be different.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the info Guys, I checked wholesale trains and the 82 saito is 254. thats not to bad. but what prop and do you need to modify anything in the front for this engine. Also Does anyone know if you can charge your NImah Hydramax batt. pack with the standard charger you recieve with the 9CAF radio. Thank you.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:50 PM

Another question I have. Is if I decided to go with a 2 stroke which is what i Have in my aerobat. Which would be a good one. The O.S. .91fx maybe or would that even work.

Thank you again
Old 07-26-2006, 12:35 AM

Alright here is my choices due to the funds allowed by the check book. And the wife. [] Either the 70 II surpass or the .91fx what is your alls opinion and which prop should I use to take advantage of full 3D.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:56 AM

allyric
70 II would be a litttle short of of power for the weight. 46 UCD will fly very close to the Saito 82 with the OS 91 FX. 14 X 6 or 14 x 4 prop for starters. Call your local hobby stores about a 82. They are not allowed to list them below a certain price, but will sell them at a lower price sometimes. check this site http://aerotechhobbies.com/index.html. They will match anyone best price usually.

Doug
Old 07-26-2006, 09:58 AM
My Feedback: (17)

allyric...

Of those two engines I'd definetly go with the OS91FX. That is a good engine and should be enough for the 46. Should work great actually. Running a two stroke inverted can sometimes be a hassle but if you can get it tuned right it will work great. I had one on a Ultra Stick 60 that weighed 7lbs and I really liked it. The 46 should be under 6.5 lbs with that engine.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks
Barry
Old 07-26-2006, 04:24 PM

Has anyone used Central Hobbies CF Push Rods on thier UCD? I ask this because, several people have suggested that it is advisable to upgrade the control linkage from the stock pushrods.

[link=http://www.centralhobbies.com/control_linkage/pushrod.html]http://www.centralhobbies.com/control_linkage/pushrod.html[/link]

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-26-2006, 04:51 PM

Mark... Welcome... I switched to 440 rods, But a few has used the C.F. rods with great
results... The C.F. rods and if you also get the ends that go with the set from central
Hobbies is the best you can get...
Old 07-26-2006, 05:19 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: ForeverHero

Has anyone used Central Hobbies CF Push Rods on thier UCD? I ask this because, several people have suggested that it is advisable to upgrade the control linkage from the stock pushrods.

[link=http://www.centralhobbies.com/control_linkage/pushrod.html]http://www.centralhobbies.com/control_linkage/pushrod.html[/link]

Thanks,

Mark
[/quote

Hi Mark, i have used the central hobbies pushrods on all my planes where they would work and they are great and work great on the ucd,here are a few pics of my applications
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11708.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	497256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85622.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	497257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94820.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	497258  
Old 07-26-2006, 05:49 PM

gjeffers,

From the looks of it you have used the CF pushrods, Dubro HD clevises and the stock control horns for the UCD? So there aren't any problems with this config? Sorry, I'm fairly new to the hobby, still a greenhorn of sorts....

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-26-2006, 07:44 PM

there has been no failures in 2 years, this is probably one of the best setup there is.

i do use the dubro HD control horns now though! click below...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDCU2&P=ML

you cant go wrong with this setup, i use the dubro control horns because setup is much easier because the adjustment is a lot more precise on the setup
Old 07-27-2006, 11:36 AM

Rob... Quick question, whats the size of the Bru Line filter? I was thinking of using one
when we go to dirt fields to fly but was unsure if it would fit. My V. stack clears the top
mounting arms by about 1/8-1/4" because of my engine mounting but depending on
how wide it may not clear the top mounting bolt mount area...
The Stack is doing it's job

Temps, Wind and the Grandkids has been keeping me from the field... I need to change
that soon... I was ready to deal "somewhat" with the heat this morning, but not the wind[:@]
Old 07-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Ron, its supposed to cool down to only 100 or so for the weekend, check it out it may be the perfect time to fly(well almost for us desert dwellers anyways)
went up to TimC's place up in Lone Pine to fly Wed and it was really nice up there At 4100 ft, only 75 in the am and the white mountains blocked the sun till about 830, was great!!
not great pics but look at the lakebed, really nice and big[8D]

Name:	Ax73129.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	497695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64533.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	497696  
Old 07-27-2006, 12:13 PM

I know, i know Rob, i need to get lower

Name:	Ay75910.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	497702  
Old 07-27-2006, 01:26 PM

Well, the Saito .82 ROCKS! I mounted it up on my stand and loaded her up with Omega pink, clipped on the glow starter and no kidding, it started up on the very first flip! What a gem of an engine. I have run 1/2 gallon through it in the last 36 hours. I have only gotten those brief moments at the end of each tankful to hear it lean up and run "right". Still want to run the rest of this gallon before I adjust the valves and start to lean it out a bit. Where should I end up on the air mix. I have it on the 2 1/2 turns for break in now, of course. I have noticed a pretty fair drop in the rate of fuel consumption. Probably in the neighborhood of 25% less fuel being sucked through now, slightly longer runs. I am also noticing plenty of pure, clear oil from the exhaust, the crank case vent (which by the way has the 3" fuel tube hanging straight down with the engine upright, what happens when I invert this thing in the UCD? What should I do?) I shot some pics and videotaped the start-up. I'll try to post a pic of my test rig with the Saito on it ASAP. (I just bought a new digital camera and it uses a different style USB cable than my old one. When I get the new cable I will be able to transfer the new pics)

I ordered the velocity stack too, although it was on back order, I am looking forward to that. At only $6.75 I couldn't pass on it. Hope they get them in soon. I'd like to have it on before I maiden. RCELEMENT, I would LOVE to try the filter! Looks like mine will be in the clear for it. It is so dusty here in OK these days. We have been getting some rain, but it still has been a dry two years here. PM me for details.

I also found my rudder servo, after looking at Hitec stuff, I found a JR ST125MG. 125 oz. of torque at 4.8, 142 oz. on 6 volts! (which is where I am going, waiting 'til Friday for them to make my 1800 mAh 6v Rx pack) It also goes from .21 to .17 sec. travel time! Beats the heck out the 100 oz. I had @ .33 sec. Nothing wrong with the Hitec, this one was just a bit faster and about $5 less than the HS-645MG. Hopefully I won't be dissappointed by the lack of BB's.[] ( I didn't notice it until I brought it home)

Well, closer and closer I get! The motor's getting broken in quickly and I have my servos and (will soon have) upgraded Rx. battery voltage to strengthen/speed them up. I could be flying this thing with-in two weeks, I think. I can't wait! I haven't been flying much lately since I had to retire my UCD foamie, [sm=crying.gif] I wore the poor thing out! I don't have much to say for the material this thing is made of but it was a fun plane to fly. I'm switching over to Depron and a Katana style plane (I found the plans at 3dfoamy.com) which I have the pattern for now to "roll my own" parts. It has a 40" span that should come in at about 10 to 14 oz., exactly what my UCD EP weighed so my powerplant will work just fine in it. I am going to experiment a bit, however. I am going to fold some 3mm (the main parts are 6mm) Depron over the wings to make an airfoil. It may require a few Depron ribs but then I won't have to deal with a flat wing. They are very quirky in flight and was the one thing I really liked about the UCD EP was the foil, it didn't fly like a flat wing, it was more like a glow (had it been more rigid, It would've been perfect).

Well, that's the update from Bliss-land! Keep those cards and letters coming. Glad to see those new UCD's being built out there. I don't think they'll discontinue that plane for some time! I'm off to run the Saito a bit more! News at 11!

Bliss
Old 07-27-2006, 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: raideron

Rob... Quick question, whats the size of the Bru Line filter? I was thinking of using one
when we go to dirt fields to fly but was unsure if it would fit. My V. stack clears the top
mounting arms by about 1/8-1/4" because of my engine mounting but depending on
how wide it may not clear the top mounting bolt mount area...
The Stack is doing it's job

Ron, I'll have to measure it when I get home. I fits on the velocity stack, no problem. They're made to fit on most 40 and 60 size carbs.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

I know, i know Rob, i need to get lower
yeah, no kidding. Geeezzzz..... Oh! I know. You were probably keeping it 1 mistake high! I do that all the time.....[8D]
There's not a whole lot of green grass in that picture is there? At least you don't have to worry about the neighbors complaining.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:12 PM

Hey Gary.. Yeah, think I'll make it on Fri & the weekend... Kids leave tonight..

Bliss on the crankcase breather, I run mine down to the L.G. and wire tie to keep
most of the blowby off all...
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 PM

So here's another question... I'm trying to get my UCD ready for Boulder's Fun Fly this weekend and my questions is can I use the stock pushrods and hardware for the first few flights? or is it best to just wait unitl I've ordered the CF pushrods and Dubro horns from Central Hobbies? I'm hoping to maiden the plane this weekend using the OS .46AX and Low Rates ...

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 PM

i would say yes with a 46 and low rates, just fly around and have fun, nothing crazy now!!!!!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Maybe it will help if I don't surround my questions with huge posts! About the Saito 82...

Where should my needle end up when I'm done breaking in? I'm still at the full 2 1/2 turns now having run 1/2 gallon through. Oil is flowing through it well! No revs over 5 or 6k and then not for more than a second or two, mostly about 4k. While I run it, I can touch the intake and it's cold, sweating profusely in our humidity. The motor is just barely warm to the touch instantly after shut-down with only a hot exhaust header and muffler. I am impressed with how cool it runs! Can't wait to hear it run a bit leaner!

Thanks Ron, I wasn't sure if there were limits to the tube length on the crankcase breather. I'll do that run down the LG.

Gonna go run the Saito again. Might just finish the gallon tonight!

Bliss

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.