Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Old 03-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Pretty neat looking!!! Good luck on your maiden flight. You mentioned she might be a little tail heavy. This plane is very forgiving. You can balance all the way back to 6" and it will still fly like a puppy. No bad tendencies at all. So if you are in the range of 4-6" I wouldn't give it a second thought. Mine balanced at 5 9/16" I love it there. Doesn't fly bad at all and is very easy to land.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 03-18-2005, 03:53 AM
perkinsm

Looks nice Hockey - Could you post a close-up pic of where the muffler pipe comes through the cowl when you get that part done? I'm curious on how you did yours since I have a Saito also.

My hose going to the muffler is almost pinched off, because of the cowl.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2005, 08:31 AM
hockeyrules99
My Feedback: (7)

yeah I'll post some pics ...I was thinking on making a hole big enough in the bottom of the cowl to fit a small wrench into to tighten the muffler at the head..but as I've learned sometimes its just not that easy!!lol Moved the battery up under the tank this morning ...much closer to CG I'll stick it on a cg machine tonight when I get home from work ..see whats needed from there.
Thanks everyone for the input so far ..I'm sure I'll have some more questions ..oh and I weighed it this morning..Came out to 5lbs 13 ozs without cowl so with the 82 that should be a good power to weight ratio!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Rocketman_

perkinsm,
Here are a couple of pictures showing the muffler installation on my high mileage UCD46 and the wrench that I use, which is a 14mm thin wall deep socket.

Put one nut on the threaded pipe (without the muffler) and install it in the engine's cylinder. Pass the deep socket through the hole in the cowl and torque the nut. Now put the other nut and the muffler on the pipe and torque the nut with an open-end wrench. The nut is outside the cowl so there is no need to make any other holes in the cowl.

As you can see in the picture the pressure line exits the cowl through it's own slot.
The engine is a Saito 72.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62929.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	245599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83429.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	245600  
Old 03-18-2005, 10:51 AM
rclement
My Feedback: (1)

Wow!! Rocketman. I like your set up. Very cool. What's the loop sticking out? Is that for a fuel overflow when re-fueling? As for your alias, are you into rockets?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:33 AM
rclement

I was wondering if anyone is using smaller servos for their throttle servo? I see that you can get smaller servos at about 1/2 the weight.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Barry Cazier

Rocketman, How do you get a high mileage UCD? Mine don't last that long. Some as short as 20 minutes!?!?!?!?!?
Thanks,
Barry
Old 03-18-2005, 02:03 PM
DPRC

Does anyone have any video of themselves flying the UCANDO .46? I would like to see it in action. I'm sure it will fly great, but it needs the inspirtation. (me too) I've seen the RC Universe one, but I would like to see yalls.

DP
Old 03-18-2005, 02:57 PM
rclement

I have a video of a 60 size but I couldn't manage to download it. Here's a picture of what I'd like to see at our field though...............

Name:	Db84073.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	245688  
Old 03-18-2005, 02:59 PM
RCBOZO

I wouldn't mind seeing all of those flying at one time!
Old 03-18-2005, 04:29 PM
raideron

hockeyrules99 Those GK's are very nice... But now you have to leave
the cowl off:-)... Looks good... You have fun.... On the CG... I agree
with Barry... Mine is just at 6"... and it flys like a baby!!! The range is
so wide, and yet you can just float her in.... I do need a little down but
man does she float:-) I've been practiceing spot landings for our Club
only fun fly 4-2.. If I'm a little off, just give it a few clicks of throttle and
set it down where you want to:-)... well pretty much where I want too:-)
She does fly nice....
My flat spins... are coming out great:-))))) And man is it "FLAT".... This
plane is a "Wonder"!!!!!... I really enjoy flying it!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Barry Cazier

CeeGee, I'm using a Hitec HS85 mini servo on my throttle. Saves about 3/4 oz. Has about 42 oz torque. Seems to work real good.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Barry Cazier

raideron, That's cool that you are getting the flat spins going good. I told you they were easy. Again, this is just about the most fun plane I fly. And, I'm flying. Not too much snow but the wind is acting up a bit. But wind don't bother me too bad. At least I can fly in circles for a while.
Thanks,

Barry
Old 03-18-2005, 06:07 PM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

I should have mine ready in a week or so. I crashed my last one pretty violently trying to knife-edge it when it wouldn't. That UCD had a OS46FX on it and spun a 12.25x3.75 prop, but didn't have enough for hovering safely. I could flat spin it like a dream and once got so gutsy low that I pulled twigs out of the tail. I did recover and land, but never took it that low again for obvious reasons. I enjoyed mine so much I bought another.

This one has an OS 91FS on it with a 16x5 prop. I am waiting for a couple of things yet before I can balance it. It didn't take much more out of the cowl that Hockey's Saito 82. I have a Saito FA82 on my Matrix, but I might pull it off, because I am not impressed with that airplane. I am looking forward to this new setup.

I will post pics of the engine installation if anyone wants.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 PM
rclement

Barry, Thanks for the info on the servo. That's one of the ones I was looking at. Perfect!! The more useless weight I can save on it the better. I'll have to order one up. Thanks again. Sorry to hear you still have snow. We usually have rain most of the year. Well, untill about mid summer. Even then it's not for sure that we'll get some sun. This year though we've been going through a drought so it's been perfect for flying. I don't envy states that have 6 months of snow. Yikes!!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:49 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well we have my sons together and ready for maiden when the wind stops, ( he is just out of his trainer and wont fly it in the wind) so were hoping for it to quit. he has a evo 46 in it but that will give him some stick time on it till he gets his 4stroke.

Hockey, about the exhaust header, i have my cooling hole in the front big enough where you can just stick a wrench through and tighten or loosen without any other holes in the cowl.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:02 PM
perkinsm

ROCKETMAN - Thanks for the pics and the idea's. I like your suggestion, and will do the same.

CEEGEE - I'm using a Futaba FP-S148 on my Throttle and on the Rubber, a HItec HS645MG, and the rest are HItec HS625BB's.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:06 PM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

Just got my new raido in futaba 7cap. Looked hard to set up at first, but played with it a bit and have it set up for the u-can-do. I love the triple rates on it! Have it set to my warm up and get used to settings, then low rates and them high rates with expo on all of them! It even has a snap roll function on it! Hope to fly this week. Too windy to day, 15 to 20 with 30 mph gusts.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:16 PM
hockeyrules99

Thanks everyone...I cut my hole in the cowl tonight,,,and i have plenty of room to fit up beside the cylinder head and tighten the nut like gjeffers suggested.. and yeah I should leave the cowl off to show off the purty motor lol ...you can get a pretty good deal for them through chief FYI!...
Going to break her in on a test stand tomorrow ...hopefully get 1 gallon through it then reinstall and make the maiden!!!

gjeffers ...Good luck with the maiden! keep us posted!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:46 PM
rclement

Hockey, Are you sure you want to put a gallon through it before flying it? I think you only have to run it for about 40 - 50 minutes to break it in.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 PM
hockeyrules99

well I put a gallon through the 100 ....and it seemed to only take about 50 min or so ...I'll watch the run time and after 50 minutes or so start to lean it out a bit on the low end ...sound like a plan? what would you recommend?
thanks
John
Old 03-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Rocketman_

ORIGINAL: CeeGee

Wow!! Rocketman. I like your set up. Very cool. What's the loop sticking out? Is that for a fuel overflow when re-fueling? As for your alias, are you into rockets?
CeeGee, The loop sticking out is the fuel line from the tank to the engine's carb. To fill the tank I pull the line off the yellow fitting and pump fuel in the line. For overflow I pull the pressure line of the muffler or when I'm in a hurry I just leave the line on and let it overflow right out of the muffler.
ORIGINAL: Barry Cazier

Rocketman, How do you get a high mileage UCD? Mine don't last that long. Some as short as 20 minutes!?!?!?!?!?
Thanks,
Barry
Barry, I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune but the way you phrased it gave me a good laugh. If you're anything like me crashes ruin my day and I may be grumpy for awhile after that. In answer to your question, though I'm not a superstitious man, I'm beginning to believe that having a backup on hand prevents crashes. I have 3 UCD's, two 60's and one 46 UCD. The 46 flies best.

The following is an answer to CeeGee's question about my name and contains no info about UCD's, so, it you read it be prepared to be bored.

As for my alias, many years ago in the last millennium in a land far away one of my college engineering instructors tagged me with the name Rocketman. Somehow the word got around that I was the one launching fearsome rockets in remote areas of the college property. These were not model rockets that you can now buy in hobby shops, they were risky and unpredictable and I ignited them by radio control from a safe distance. Radio control back then had vacuum tubes, no transistors or integrated circuits, and wasn't all that reliable.
By the way, I built a pulse jet engine there also but I was never called Jet Man.

I was only spoken to once about my rocketry antics after a little indiscretion at a serene little pond that had a well kept grassy area around it where loving couples sat and spent their evenings talking. It must have looked odd that a buddy and I were sitting there too with a cardboard box. Being unable to wait for everyone to leave I proceeded to disrupt the tranquility by launching a noisy, smokey rocket boat across the pond which only touched the water twice as it skipped its way to the opposite bank.
In the days following that I could see people pointing their finger at me as I walked on campus. I laid low for a while after that.

The college environment provided everything an experimenter needed to work with such as a foundry, machine shops, and chemistry labs for chemicals (rocket fuel).

I later went to work for Chrysler Corp Space Division where the huge 8-engine Saturn S1B first stage rocket booster was built.
There you have the long version of how I got the Rocketman name.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:01 PM
rclement

Hey Rocketman, That is a great story!! Have you read Homer Hickam's book October Sky? About the same type of experimenting only more in depth. I don't usually like to read books but have read that one twice. Very interesting story about kids growing up in the 50's. I thought that with a alias like that that maybe you had a background in rockets or motors. I did rocketry for about 6 years and launched down in Blackrock Nevada on the dry lake bed down there. There were rockets up to 18 ft. tall and one was 500 lbs. Here's a picture of a 6 footer that we launched to 7500 ft.

Name:	Xv64320.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	246026  
Old 03-19-2005, 02:35 PM
rclement

Hockey, Just that when I broke in my 82 Saito it only used three - four tanks of fuel in the 40 minutes. I just didn't know if you thought that maybe you had to have a gallon through it before you could fly it. The only thing with mine was that it needed some tuning to get it running right. One of the guys in our club is a whiz at that. He did some tweeking on the top end and on the low end, then do some more, then some more. Finally got it to where it had a nice smooth transition and stayed running on the low end. Last couple of 4 strokes I've gotten wouldn't stay running at idle. Rob
Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 PM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

perkinsmI still have not had any reply from Great planes, still waiting, but the ucando is fix and ready to fly when the wind calms down a bit. Still cant wait to use the new raido.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.