Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Old 04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Ok, nobody seems willing to start the advice column so I will. When faced with a choice of which engine to use I always choose to run one.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 04-12-2005, 11:04 PM
kokamo
My Feedback: (1)

Gjeffers.......you know what? I looked outside this afternoon and saw a tree. A pecan tree. A pecan tree that had fresh leaves starting to flower out because of the spring time weather. A beautiful peach tree that..........that........THAT WAS NOT SWAYING IN THE WIND!!!!!!!!!!! ABSOLUTLY NO WIND AT ALL!!!!!!! So I got out my slo-v and blasted off. I didn't have any of the batteries charged on the trainer so that was out of the question.
This afternoon, I realized that I havent been to my local feild (to fly) since around the middle of november. And since then I have not renewed mt AMA license. So tonight I just renewed it for the season. I have been flying at a place right down the road on an asphalt strip with a good ole cul-d-sac. Perfect for my trainer but I don't feel comfortable doing a U-CAN-DO maiden on unfamilliar ground. For some reason I get all nervous before I fly at any other place than the feild I soloed at. Don't know why. This is the reason I had to get my AMA so I could legally fly at my local feild. This is my local feild by the way~~~> [link=http://www.gamarc.org/field/]HERE[/link] Click on the "picture of feild" button and you will see what we have. Tomorrow would be a great day but I think I'm gonna get the trainer out and brush up on my flying so I'll be some what prepared for the UCD.

I'll keep ya posted!

LATER, Joe
Old 04-12-2005, 11:19 PM
kokamo

ME NEXT!!!!!

Building a 3D capable aeroplane requires less weight than your "usual build up". It needs to be built light. Using lighter weight items such as, wooden propellers, carbon fiber control rods, or possibly a micro throttle sevo helps. I used an HS-55 Hitec servo for my throttle and A jr R600 RX, just to lighten it up a little. Every little bit helps! Remember, If you have to add weight to ballance, you can always shift items around such as your RX or your battery, and even your fuel tank in some cases to get your correct ballance point so you won't have to add weight.

And using one engine would help also.(Barry) Two would be kool tho.

Joe
Old 04-13-2005, 06:20 AM
bh307
My Feedback: (143)

qjeffer thanks I got a mag. 70 4 stroke with a 14x4w going to a 13x3w
Old 04-13-2005, 06:22 AM
bh307
My Feedback: (143)

thanks raideron
Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Liberator

So I finally got it all wrapped up. Thanks to everyone that helped and Cee Gee for all the great advice. Let me see if it will let me post a few pics. and ask another in the long line of silly first time builder questions. I balanced the plane last night and tank empty it balances exactly at 6" from LE.

Now the directions say this is ok, but you guys have been flying this plane, what you say I believe.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76969.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	257800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57084.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	257801  
Old 04-13-2005, 10:38 AM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

If you have never flown a 3d plane, I would move the cg up a bit to 4 1/2 or 5 for the first flights untill you get used to it. Do you have the low rates set to what Great planes says? I would set the elevator to about 3/4 of the low rates if you have not flown the 3d planes before. The elevator is very touchy with the cg far back at 6 inches. Also if you can add some expo to all of the controll surfaces. I have quite a few flights on mine, and have the cg at about 5 to 5 1/4 inches and the all of the controll surfaces except the rudder, set to the low rate, with the triple rate of the futaba cap 7 I have it set up for 1. low rates, 2. High rates, 3. What ever I can get out of the surfaces. I still have not been on the high rates except for one time. A couple of question for you. Did you beef up the Landing gear? Very weak on the ucando.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 AM
rclement

Liberator, WoW!!! That came out looking sweet!! Hey, wait a minute that looks better than mine......... Nice job. How did you get that picture on there?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Liberator

CeeGee thanks!

That was done by taking an old Smithsonian Magazine cover to a place that makes signs. Any place that makes those hanging vinyl signs should be able to do it. They take essentially a photocopy of it and you can tell them what back ground you would like. In this case the background was white and I cut it out around the image. THe image was originally done for one of my rockets. The down side is that it is a little pricey for the first one because unless you know someone they will hit you with a set up fee. The good thing is additional copies can be made cheaply. So the original was about $35.00, but all additional copies I get are $7.50 per.
I use it as sort of a trademark. Plus it looks kind of like Nose Art from WWII bombers.

I went with some metallic flake insdie the canopy then ran a molding around the bottom to set it apart a bit. The I CA'd that to the fuse since I didnt have to worry about fogging the canopy.

Clan, I have the throws set way too high right now, I am going to go to the bottom of the horn on the control surface and them use that as the high rate for starters. THen I have the low rate set at about 70% right now. I built it just stock so no I did not beef up the gear.
I am going to go to nylon bolts however. I figure that will at least safe the fuse from going south if I smack it down too hard.

Tom
Old 04-13-2005, 12:13 PM
rclement

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

hey ceegee, im about to start mine as soon as the brown truck arrives, exactly what are you thinking? just entries on what you do daily? mine should be here by friday i hope.

Gjeffers, Well, I was thinking of posting pictures of the build along with some info of the process. I going to make some changes based on the first one I built and incoporate them into the second one. Maybe some of it will be usefull, maybe not.......[8D]
Old 04-13-2005, 03:04 PM
raideron

Building light is great advise!!... Though, my advise adds a little bit of
weight, But I think well worth it... When building, Strengthen the landing
gear block area, even if it's just added epoxy!! And though a few has no
problems, I would seriously consider adding tail wires for added help in
that area...

Another great day at the field:-))))... Did have a close call, I was hovering
down low, took my eyes off the plane less than a second to see where this
other plane was, when I looked back my plane was inverted heading for the
runway... Sure glad these Can Do's float and recover so quickly:-)))...
Always watch your own plane:-)... If need be get a spotter... Oh Have Fun!!

Liberator.... Great Job!!!!

gjeffers... That truck show up yet???

kokamo... Nice field!!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:35 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you aint skeered to fly that ucd are you Kokomo?nice field, now lets get some pics of you out there

bh307, that mag 70 should fly it nice!

Liberator, without those women we would have lost wwII, and she is pretty

CeeGee, i will post pics and comentary as i build of everything that is not in the manual and that ort to keep me busy, will be hard not to build-build-build, but i will try hard[>:]

Ron, i just called Tower and she said my plane and most of my goodies shipped monday(YEA!)could be here in a minuite
Old 04-13-2005, 05:44 PM
kokamo

gjeffers.......I ain't skeered. I fly dat ting round da wurld........just not before I have my AMA card. DANG-IT!!! I should have thought of that a long time ago. Oh well, I got all summer to fly this UCD. I'll prolly get on the Slo-v again tonight.

Joe
Old 04-13-2005, 05:50 PM
gjeffers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just pullin your chain Joe!and it still works!!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:25 PM
rclement

CeeGee, i will post pics and comentary as i build of everything that is not in the manual and that ort to keep me busy, will be hard not to build-build-build, but i will try hard[>:]

Hey Gary, I agree about posting ideas that aren't in the manual. Great idea. I tried twice earlier to post something and it wouldn't post. Both times I had it all written up and it wouldn't work. Something wrong with the web I guess. I'll try again once I know it will work
Old 04-13-2005, 11:46 PM
rclement

CeeGee, i will post pics and comentary as i build of everything that is not in the manual
Well, Here's where I started on the new UCD. I'm starting with the fuse since it's easier to do the fuse build before putting on the tail feathers. Last time I built one I followed the manual and the tail got in the way everytime I needed to roll it around. Anyway, my first UCD nosed in on the 3rd flight and one of the things that happened was it broke out a section just aft of the firewall, the section that looks like a ramp. Fortunately when it broke it out it gave me perfect access to the landing gear section and the inside of the firewall so on this build I cut out that section. Here's the pictures............

It takes a little doing to get it cut out but it allows really good access to the landing gear block to beef it up and the firewall. I use Gorilla glue to beef up the landing gear area and also to strengthen the firewall some.....Also you can change the T nuts to re-configure it for a different mount or even change the "ramp" configuration for a larger fuel tank. [8D]
The last picture shows it ready to be re-glued back in with epoxy...........

Name:	By76217.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	258007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35327.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	258008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49698.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	258009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45995.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	258010  
Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 AM
locolobot

I have found that using the Testors Transparent colors on the inside of the canopy work best for colors. It gives you a canopy that you can see through like your car and see the inside guages, pilots and other scale effects you might want to use inside. Some plastics won't take the Rit dye. Lexan is one of those type of plastics and that is what the U can Do s canopy is made of. So try the transparent paint and darken to the desired depth.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:08 AM
Swiftflier
My Feedback: (17)

Hello CeeGee,

I had belonged to a club in Akron, Ohio for a couple of years in 86, 87. When started flyingI had a used H Ray with a 40 size engine and taught myself to fly - plenty of repairs to the plane. I didn't know about AMA or the club when I started. I then found a guy who had about ten planes and all the gear for sale in his basement and he was hurting for cash. I think then sold a few of them and had my money back quickly, joined the AMA and the local club. When we moved to Lancaster in 88 I sold it all and didn't fly again til last summer. I started with an old trainer - got bored quickly, bought a used Ugly Stick and had fun with it, then a Thunder Tiger Fun Tiger Profle with the Saito 91. It was OK but not great.

Then a new Matrix with an OS 70 FS. Twisted it into the ground - very nasty not rebuildable. I then bought a Magic, crashed it into a barn roof, and bought a CG 10-300 with a TT 120 which I want to sell. It came with a Magic. I put a new OS 30FX on the Magic and love it. I have a Twist with a 40FX and lots of nose weight. I don't like the way it changes cg when the fuel gets low. It wants to stand on its tail making landing uneven. I'm not crazy about it.

Got the U Can, put the Saito 91 in it and admit that it's the best flying plane I've ever owned - so stable. I'm using a 15 X 4 prop. No fancy electronics. Just a splitter on the elevator harness and it works fine.

The best to you as you do your new build. I"ll keep watching the posts. I'm really not a builder but don't mind the ARFs.

Bruce
Old 04-14-2005, 10:58 AM
hockeyrules99
My Feedback: (7)

Koko...can't you use the receipt from the order? Does your field need to see them? Post some pics for us!!! Hope it goes better than last time..are you doing the honor's this time?
GOOD LUCK!!!
John
Old 04-14-2005, 11:38 AM
raideron

Hey CeeGee... Great idea on a new build report... The work
you have shown looks good!! Keep em coming... It will help
new and repairs of a Great plane even better!!!

Left the UCD home this morning, And took my 4*60 out to
let the wind blow out the cob webs:-)) She ran great, still
hovers easy.. But no way could I get it to flat spin... On my
take off I got in the habit of doing a double roll after lift off
which almost got me in trouble as the 4* does not roll as
fast:-) Land as good, Well heck does nothing as good!!..
But I still like it..) And I love the UCD....

CeeGee wrote:
"Both times I had it all written up and it wouldn't work.
Something wrong with the web I guess. I'll try again once I
know it will work...."

I've had that happen to me a few times... So now no matter
how short or long my post may be... I always highlight it and
copy, So that if it happens to not post, I just pasted it back...
Old 04-14-2005, 01:05 PM
rclement

Swiftflyer, Sounds like you've had your share of experience with planes. Great isn't it? I have had 5 planes now and find the UCD to be the best of the bunch. Very fun flyers. I use my U. Stick as a trainer now. I just doesn't keep my interest for long. Hopefully the Twist will be fun to fly and not too much of a pain.

Raideron, What! No inverted flat spin landings with the 4*? I'm shocked! [:-] I haven't flown my 4* in quite a while. I was thinking of taking it out for a spin but my neighbor is interested in buying it so probably not.
Yes, I should have copied the post I was writing but forgot.......... [] Next time.........
Old 04-14-2005, 02:30 PM
kokamo

Hockey.......It's no problem without the receipt, if you type in your ama # it will tell you if you are a member or not. They can tell that way.
The feild does need to see them. I know it sucks but when there is about 70% of the club being older peolple (50-65 years old) (NO PUN INTENDED TO ANYONE!!) they want everything to go their way. We put up out AMA card with our membership card glued on the back, LAMINATED for protection, and we hang it on the frequency board. I have seen people go to the board and look at all cards to see if they are up to date. And if any of them are out of date......you sure as hell don't want to be that person. They make a BIG deal about stuff like that.

HECK YEAH i'm duin the honors this time. I ain't gonna let no-one get close to this one. I have too much money in this one for someone else to screw it up. I counted up how much I have in this plane and with all receitps put together. I get $756.43 WITHOUT transmitter and fuel.

WHAT ABOUT YOU OTHER GUYS.....HOW MUCH $$$$$$ YOU GOT IN YOUR PLANE????

HEY THANKS FOR THE LUCK......I MIGHT NEED IT!!!

Joe
Old 04-14-2005, 08:54 PM
rclement

Here's an update on the build modifications....... Another one of the nice things about taking out the "ramp area" aft of the firewall is being able to fit the fuel tank easier. Mine had a misalignment in the bulkhead where the upper part of the tank goes into the compartment. Once I trimmed it out I was able to fit it in nicely...... You can see from the pictures that at this point if you wanted to modify the compartment for a larger tank it would be easier to do. Next I'll postion the throttle linkage and I'll be able to see the fuel tank and avoid it..........[8D] After that the "ramp section" is ready to glue back in and I'll get on with mounting the engine.............

Name:	Vt56105.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	258318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85414.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	258319  
Old 04-14-2005, 09:22 PM
raideron

Hey CeeGee it looks good!!.. Nice tight fit... Are you adding foam to the saddle
bottom and back of tank? What did you use to seal/cushion the front of the tank?
I just used silicon adhesive.. Works great..
With the ramp out it also makes getting the throttle linkage nice and stright if
any adjustments are needed.... All's looking good!! Keep it coming...

I'm not sure how many are/will be using pressurized fuel systems.. But I have
gotten into a habit of putting drain holes, Then C.A.'ing or painting it where I think
the low spot is at in case of a tank problem which will make it easier to spot...
Old 04-14-2005, 09:32 PM
rclement

Raideron, I'll be adding some receiver foam (I think that's what it is) to the front end of the tank and above the tank and in the saddle. Thanks for reminding me.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.