Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 U-Can-Do 3d 46? >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Old 05-16-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

im not sure about the 82(you might mount it on the stock mount but you will need a 60 size mount to mount the 91 or 100 and redrill the blindnut holes(its worth it). do it
Old 05-16-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Crash, Spud here. I've been flying OS for some time now, & they're real stump-pullers. Almost went saito when I got my UCD, but stayed with OS because I'm familiar with them. So if this is your first 4C, go with the one you like best, and I'm sure it will do everything you want. Just get the one you'll be able to use in other applications in the size airframes that you like. When you go 4C you may never go back, unless you go gas.............and thats another one of those well how big is big enough questions in its self. This is anaddicting sport isn't it?

SPUDS out..............
Old 05-16-2005, 10:16 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Sctcrash...for what its worth the 82 is a great engine! great power great performance, it was a rough idle until it got a few tanks in the air through it(after break in on the bench) its getting stronger and smoother with every flight. From the tach readings and prop selection its almost as powerful as the 91 MTC.
John
Old 05-16-2005, 10:22 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: gjeffers

hey CeeGee, i think someone around here launches missils(iChina lake NAWS)i see them sometimes.
and you didnt say what your gonna do with that saito 100??????????????????i could guess, but im not
Well, I just thinking ahead of the game I guess. I fly the UCD and the Twist and have a blast with those but sometimes would like to go a little bigger. Maybe a Harrier 90. I guess I'm in the same situation as Sctcrash right now..........[X(]
Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Whew !!! Just read this entire thread. Man am I tired. LOL
Had three of these .46 UCDs so far. LOVE EM !!!!
Saito-72 , 14x4W APC, HiTech Hi-Torque servo for the rudder. Digitals all round.
Tri-sticked tail assembly and reinforced gearblock, turtle deck and wing mount block prior to maiden . Crashed the first one because of dence fog and an inverted mistake at 4 feet high. Second one blew a horizontal stab. Got it replaced free and am having a blast with this one so far. Programmed in air brake with 10% elev and can take off in about 3 feet and land without wheel roll if the breeze is blowing a bit.
Out of many planes this is my favorite to have fun with and to fly on windy days.

Photo is with a Master Airscrew . The 14x4w APC seems the best on the Saito-72 by far.
"GREAT THREAD GUYS !!"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61576.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	272570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70332.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	272571  
Old 05-16-2005, 10:33 PM
My Feedback: (17)

gjeffers. Not trying to persaude you to buy the Futaba. I don't think it's a bit better than the JR. In fact I'm trying to persaude anybody to do any thing. But you asked. Yes the JR servos will work with the Futaba radio. You will need a Futaba radio and the servos will run opposite of what they do now. But with a little training you could learn the sticks over again. Or you could use the servo reverser and let the sticks do the same function.
I didn't get my digital camera today. When I left work it was to late. I think I'm going to get it at Circut City, they seem to have a pretty good selection. At least good enough for me. Then I'll get real serious about asking about uploads. I think I know what you guys were saying but then again...
Thanks,
Barry

PS: By the way who everwas asking about the 82. It's what I fly. It is the same size as 72 and will bolt right on the stock motor mount. It is fine on power. Never wanted more until gjeffers got a 100 in his then all of a sudden I want more.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:36 PM

wow I really bauched that last post. I must be tired. What I meant to say was I'm not trying to push anybody to one product or the other. Also what I meant to say was you will need a Futaba receiver and the JR servos will hook into that.
Sorry and Thanks for giving me a second chance.
Barry
Old 05-16-2005, 10:40 PM

Sturtz. Welcome to a great thread. We look forward to getting to know you. I won't be flying for a while because I'm in the penalty box. But maybe I can offer some input now and then, or repair a prop.
By the way, nice airplane in the pictures. What kind is it?
Thanks,
Barry
Old 05-16-2005, 10:41 PM

Wierd cutout in the cowl?!?!?!
Thanks,
Barry
Old 05-16-2005, 11:03 PM

Sturtz, Glad to have you on our side. Great looking plane you have there. [X(] I like everything about it... [8D] Man that's cool!!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:18 PM
My Feedback: (6)

OK 75 pages it a bit many to look threw so. I just picked one up today. I will be running Magnum 52 2stroke blue head. Need the preferd setup. Has any one used one servo on elivator? To reduce weight? If you have used this motor please email me setup you have? and perfomance. Thanks ... [email protected]
Old 05-17-2005, 02:29 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I love my OS70 4S in my UCD. It has plenty of power though I'm not hovering or doing any of those crazy stunts yet but you gotta love the instant power of the 4S.

I flew my bird more today to keep trimming it - I've added some right thrust and it seems OK in that area now. What I'm working on now is lateral balance.

My plane balances almost perfectly statically but in the air I trim the plane to fly straight and level then fly inverted and it's dropping the left wing. I've now added some weight to the right wing but it's a little too much so I now need to get some off again. It's taken about 7 flights so far to get to this point and I'm a long way from finished. It sure is an effort to properly trim a plane out

I've never bothered with this trimming stuff before but I really want this plane to fly true so I'm going to keep going till I get it perfect.

More to come,

Regards

Tony
Old 05-17-2005, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys. I think if you can't find out what you need to know here on this thread about the UCD.46 you haven't read the whole thread. Very informative. Two thumbs up. Keep it going !!

From Barry:
By the way, nice airplane in the pictures. What kind is it?
I don't understand your question Barry. Are you asking about my UCD in the pics ? Or my avatar ?
The UCD.46 has a Saito-72 . The cutout in the cowl is just a simple German Cross made with a Dremal. I have since tinted the canopy black using Pactra "brand" transparent paint I got at a hobby store. Works real good. But not better than Testers.

I guess I only have one thing to add to the thread that I didn't see last night. And it may be back in here somewhere on the thread and I just missed it. Here I go:
"For those just getting one of these I promise that you'll get a big fat grin on yer face after you fly it. The landings alone get a golf tourny type round of applause from people in the pits that have never seen one fly. The plane will almost turn inside-out and spit change at ya. The rudder is the key to some outstanding moves. At least for me it is. Makes 3/D flying look easy with the right setup on this bird. I can even hover it. And I'm just learning 3/D flying. Working on the harrier roll next.
The only problem I see with the plane is that it instills a false sense of confidence in many newer RC pilots. I've seen many guys that fly this bird either splat it on the hard-deck because they got TOO fearless. (Me) Or they jump on an advanced ac like an Extra300 or Edge540 and try the same tricks they do with the UCD . (NOT) Anyway,,, I know most of you guys are old pros and this doesn't effect you . But when I take my Edge540 66" and my UCD.46 both to the field . I really have to put another brain in my head when I switch over to the Edge. The UCDs just makes it seem SO EASY.
[8D]

Name:	Hf99835.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	272663  
Old 05-17-2005, 08:59 AM

Sturtz, A lot of people don't understand the questions I ask. I just thought it would be funny to ask about a picture that was obviously a UCD46, on a UCD thread, with a description above, and ask "what kind of plane is it. Obviously, it wasn't.
Sounds like you have a lot of experience and will add much here.
You said you tinted your canopy. Several others are doing that as well. Makes me wonder what you are hiding under there. But seriously, I know it will keep the temperature down on the batteries in the hot climates people fly it. Makes the run times longer and will make a 72 act like a 100. Good job.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 05-17-2005, 09:14 AM

LOL !!!!!! Good one Barry !!!!!
Now what kind of planes are we talking about again ? Oh yeah,,,, the YukanDoos.

"Wonder what a .46 completely rebuilt and made stronger would do with a Saito 1.20 ?"

Name:	Ca80937.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	272673  
Old 05-17-2005, 09:35 AM

Welcome Sturtz, The UCD is a real floater huh:-) People at the field
can't believe how it stays in the air at times and how you can just
creep it down the runway with the tail wheel just inches off the ground.
I almost got the vert. stab taken off... I was flying inverted with the
stab an inch or so off the runway, and a gust of wind pushed the nose
down so I pulled out.... Too fast and hit the vert. stab... Luckily no
problems:-)
Yeah Barry offers some great tips and knowledge.... He even fixes
props if you ever needs one fixed... He talks alot about flat spin
landings.. So much so that I had to try it.... My plane did not like it:-(
Great bunch of people here!!!

On another subject... I see you have a profile... I just picked up a
cheapy profile off of ebay, I finally recieved the YS 63 I'll be using
so I started C.G.ing it to see where all will be placed... Anyway the
wing cavity is just open and I need my battery at the trailing edge of
the wing, will just foam hold it there??? It seems to be holding now,
but with all the twisting and such I think it'll slide forward.. I normally
use pull ties But the access is small and my fat hands see a problem
getting it in there... I hate to glue in something to hold it....
Have any tips?? I have only put together ARF's(3) in my year's venture
in this hobby... and this is my first profile.. Not much places to put any
thing:-)..... Do you run your ant. out towards the wing tip???
Old 05-17-2005, 11:31 AM

[img][/img]Spuds trying to get some pictures to work

Name:	Ec87648.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	272736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75552.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	272737  
Old 05-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Hey it worked! Thats Mat Chapman & I at SUN-N-FUN here in FL. That other thing is called an OV-1 Mohawk.

Now when I send the pics of my UCD from my wifes phone to my email to my pics then I'll finally post my UCD.
Till then here's one for the vet's. Here's my day job.

Name:	Db83814.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	272739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32985.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	272740  
Old 05-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Raideron,,, go to Walmart and pick up some small velcro straps you'll find in the auto section. Cheap. Wrap your battery in a thin layer of foam and use a rubber band to keep it there. CA the back of the velcro strap to the bottom of the batt/RX cutout in the wing. Mine stays there real well. The RX is wrapped in foam and tucked into the front area along with the servo wires , on/off switch and charge jack plate.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:02 PM

Hey Spud, Nice pictures. Thanks for your service...[8D] My dad was a command sargent major when he left the army in the 70's. He was buried in Arlington, next to his dad, a couple of years ago. His dad (my grandpa) had just made general when he died in the 50's.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:10 PM

Ceegee, i am in the same place. That Harrier 90 sure does look like it would be fun to fly. I am actually in the process of building a CG Ultimate that i bought a Evolution 1.00 for. So I may try and stick with a 4 stroke that will work for that average 40 size. Seing as the 82 fits in the 72 space i may go with the 82, then if i get a bigger 4 stroke it can be a 1.20!!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:26 PM

Guys,

Hello, I'm new here - been out of circulation for a while. If anyone reads this from Louisiana, then I can tell you that I am home sick and wish I was back there.

Anyway, I'm looking for alternative suggestions to a UCANDO for a beginner in 3D. I've been flying radio control off and on since 1970. I flew a lot more up until about 1986, and only a little since then with a trainer for the kids. Back then, and after learning, I've flown Das Sticks, GP Supersportsters, built and flew a 1/4 scale Cub, and flew a few sport .60 size planes. I would rate my flying, back then, high intermediate. I never considered myself an expert, but I rarely crashed.

Now, I have bought a Nexstar trainer - mostly for my 2 boys to try to learn on and for me to get 'checked out' in at the club I just joined. I was just getting back in the hobby about 3 years ago, when an unexpected divorce stopped it dead in the tracks. But, I had bought a lot of stuff - for example, I have a Saito FS .60, 2 OS FS 91s, an OS FS 1.20, and a Saito 1.60. I have a Chapman Hangar 9 Cap 232 still in the box, but I'm afraid it is too much plane to jump back in with. I have a Sig AstroHog kit that I had thought about building and putting one of the OS 91s on. I started building the 1/4 GP Ryan ST and it is about half way. I have a GP Super Aeromaster kit also.

But, for something relative inexpensive, I thought that something in the category of the UCANDO would be great. I saw one fly (the 60 size with a Saito 100) this past weekend at the field and was amazed at how slow it could fly. I just thought I'd ask before spending more bucks, to see if there was something (maybe a Funtana) that others would recommend that would be just as fun, just as forgiving, about as slow, and not much more expensive than the UCANDO. I'm will to go up to about $250 for a good plane (ARF kit), but I don't want to get in over my head like I think I would be with the CAP 232. But, maybe I am wrong. The main thing I've heard about this kit is that you have to land fairly hot to keep from stalling.

Thanks much for any advice. And if there is any of the 'old' guys here from around Baton Rouge who started flying out at the old Kleinpeter field, give me a holler. There was one guy I'd like to find from way back, his name is Kim Cannon and he would be about 53 years old now.

Steve
Old 05-17-2005, 02:06 PM

Hey Svanos, This UCD is anything but hot on landing. This plane will float in for a tail 1st, 3 point, or wheels on landing. This is a slow flier with a whole lot of control throw. Keep it on low rates to putter around and enjoy a nice day of relaxed flying. Flip the switch on high and hold on to your thumbs, rolls ,snaps ,loops waterfalls ,harriers ,flat & I mean flat spins[all the way down to the ground for some] ,and just about anything else you may want out of a plane. If you want something to go wild with ,this is it!!!!!!

If for some reason you ever want to sell your CAP let me know in a PM, thats my other favorite plane.

Thanks, Shawn

SPUDS out.........
Old 05-17-2005, 02:35 PM

Shawn,

Thanks for the tips! About the hot landing, I was talking about the CAP 232, not the UCD - my bad grammar. Is there anything else I might can consider that would be similar to the UCD but maybe with better looks? Also, would you recommend the 60 size or the 40 size to start with? Also, since it sounds like you are familiar with the CAP 232 - what are its good and bad points? Would that Saito 1.80 be too big for it? When people say it needs to land 'hot' (the CAP), just how sensitive is it? I realize it isn't going to land like my J3 Cub or a UCD, but just wondering if it is something that is so bad that sooner or later it will 'bite' you?

Thanks, Steve
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 PM

Would anyone like to walk me through the basics of a flat spin? I've never tried one, and should probably attempt with some idea of how to avoid the flat spin landing.

Thanks.

Spud & Svanos, How do you like that Chapman 232? I'm thinking about picking one up. People have been saying that the wing loading is too high to do anything fun with it. What engines have you been running?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.