Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
 U-Can-Do 3d 46? >

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

U-Can-Do 3d 46?

Old 05-30-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: U-Can-Do 3d 46?

a great day,First i remembered my heros!!!!
then i went flying and had a really great day with the ucd, got a couple of passes at 5 ft off the deck inverted and a couple of 1 minute hovers (and about 10 -45 sec ones) but getting better and i feel it
i also remedied the arm chopping prop problem,(used Rons suggestion) now i can run it up right on the tailgate here are some pics(just wanted an excuse to post some pics)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42174.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	278303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70692.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	278304  
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary... Your hold down Looks good!!... But keep your hands on
the fuse also!... Yeah them props keeps me thinking... I know
there just waiting to be meat grinders....
Beautiful day... Glad you had a great day!! And putting the UCD
through it's paces!! Sounds like your having fun, And now your
safer to boot:-) Pics look Great!! Man... I see you were in such
a rush too fly that you jack-knifed you trailer
It was the same here, but I had the other plane... Was at the
field at 5:30 and got home around noon, That darn thing ate
another prop:-(.. But had a 12.25X3.75 to use.. a bit less bite
but it kept me up:-).. I need to order a few more 13/14X4's,
But hoping the club will go up for fuel so I can get a little price
break:-)))
Should be another great day tomorrow... Weather wise, And
hopefully the same for flying:-)
Old 05-30-2005, 10:03 PM

Hey Cee Gee,
I have the Matt Chapman Cap. It really does fly great. One of the regular guys on the Cap thread has also flown the world models castrol green and red Cap. He says it flies well also. But then again he's on his second Matt Chapman Cap. Whats that tell ya. It's a great plane, check out the thread.

HeyGjeffers,
Great looking scenery where you fly. When I finally get a digital cam I'll show you the swamp where our field is. Nice safety stand.

Hey Raideron,
I hope you saved all the pieces of prop. I know some day Barry's going to show us all how to sew our props together.[sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Talk to you guys later.............SPUDs out[8D]
Old 05-31-2005, 10:41 AM

Gjeffers, Outstanding safety restraint. Looks like it works like a champ.........[X(]
More low inverted passes!! [X(] I guess I can't come down that way and fly with you. You're too good.[&o]
I had a great day flying the UCD yesterday too. Man that was fun!! It's flying awesome.........[8D]
I got done with a flight and one of the guys came up and asked me about my radio set up. Stuff I didn't know about it, so he grabs my radio and starts fiddling with it, looking through all the programs. By this time I'm getting worried. I checked out the plane good before the next flight and had to do a little trimming in the air but it actually landed better after that. It was ballooning up too much while trying to land. Now it just comes down no problem.........[8D]
Thanks again Spud. I'll have to get one of those Caps. I need something different.........
Old 05-31-2005, 12:24 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Had a great time flying all my planes (3) over the long weekend. Weather was very good for us, still a little windy, but that's normal. Took a couple of pictures (getting to be a habit) but I don't have any of me flying because it's difficult to focus while flyng. But I'm working on that. Should have some photos of sewen props up soon for all to see.
Have a great day everyone.
Thanks,
Barry

Name:	Hf97637.jpg
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	278664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86212.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	278665  
Old 05-31-2005, 12:27 PM

Description.
1. My hanger less 46 (almost completed)
2. Our club president. He has other planes but the Cub is his original tranier from 15 years ago. I'm still working on him to lower the runway.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 05-31-2005, 12:59 PM

Barry, Nice pictures, nice planes. You must be very patriotic. All of them are red, white, and blue.......[8D]

Whilst looking at our club web page I found that they have a new page up and running. Here's the link to the club where I fly.
They say that if you can land here, you can land anywhere.....[X(] [link]http://www.flaminggeyserflyers.com/[/link]
Old 05-31-2005, 01:22 PM

SPUD37.... I should be saving my props for repair... Lost another this
AM:-)

Barry Great pics... Can you speed it up on that sewen prop pics.. This
is getting costly:-(

Well I lost another prop today... As I walked to the "other" plane I
thought I'd be picking up a bit more pieces than just the prop:-(....
I had just taken off and went vertical and into a upright flat spin,
pulled out and back up again, the YS missed a couple beats, But
cleared at the top.... So I went into an inverted F.S. then half way
down I transitioned into a tumble then a fast spin..... Well I guess
the YS did not like the last move:-(... She went dead at about 20'
Man this plane does not float like the UCD... I tried to get the nose
up and head towards the field but the nose just slightly came up
before falling back down @ about 5' and it disapeared below grade
and out of sight.. Then the hit :-(... But to my surprize, the tank
straps snaped off, my Lt. ail. servo was a spinning(stripped gears)
and the ever lasting "broken prop".... No other damage.....
Man this plane is strong:-))... So if it's nice in the AM... I'll use my
last prop and fly it again.... I do have to cannonball a servo off of
my waiting to be repaired Yak.... Funny thing... I started to pack
up, but thought... Hey I'll get just one more flight(9)... So much
for that thinking:-(

CeeGee... Nice field.... Beautiful area!!!

Here's a few pics of out dusty field:

Name:	Ay75291.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	278680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70649.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	278681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46110.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	278682  
Old 05-31-2005, 02:30 PM

Raideron, Nice flying area!! Wow!![8D] What's that asphalt stuff for though? Isn't it kind of hard to do "inverted flat spin landings" on it?[X(]
Old 05-31-2005, 02:48 PM

Yeah CeeGee the black top makes it tough on inverted landings:-) But
unlike barry, our prez.. did install a lowering of the field.. you can sort
of see it in the pic that I'm holding my 4*... Off to the rt. you can kind of
see that the field beyond is lower, plus there's a wash just off the rt. side
of the runway also, which gives you about 6' of unseen flying/recovery
area... I've used:-) it twice[X(].. where you lose sight of the plane, and
hope your sticks/last move was right... Out of three times that I used
that area, two made me smile as she came back up, and one was my
first and I can only hope last UCD inverted flatspin landing.....
Old 05-31-2005, 03:12 PM

Yeah, it never hurts to have a lower flying area. The first field that I ever flew at was a mound that was created from a garbage landfill. I thought it was cool but some of the more experienced flyers there pointed out that if you dip below the level ground you can loose site of your plane. [X(] Huuuhhh! There's always someone to spoil the fun. [&o]
Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 PM

Great pics of your fields guys. We just started a club last year so our field is a work in progress. Right now it is a mowed mound in the middle of a big farm. Its sure a lot better than the narrow road we used to use. Here is a pic of the field I have posted on our web site. Its a panoramic i made of several pics. Its kind of large so click at your own risk.

Large
http://tricityflyers.no-ip.info/TriC...ges/field2.jpg
Small
http://tricityflyers.no-ip.info/TriC.../field2_sm.jpg

I also have software to make a 3d image out of the pics. If you have quicktime check it out.

http://tricityflyers.no-ip.info/TriCity/Field.mov

Or view the whole site, its a work in progress and coming together slowly. I spend all my free time flying building, repairing so i dont get enough time to work on the site.

http://tricityflyers.no-ip.info
Old 05-31-2005, 07:44 PM

sctcrash, That is way to cool.......... [8D] Looks like a really nice place to fly......
Old 06-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Man, I can't believe it. Our thread had been downgraded to page 2. The only thing I can think of to get it going again is a couple of pictures one of the club members took while I was flying my Mayhem. Sorry.
Thanks,
Barry

Name:	Fd93078.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	279446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30455.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	279447  
Old 06-02-2005, 09:00 AM

Nice pics Barry.... Is that your prez... watching the club member taking the
picture Did your YS run good?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 AM

Hey Guys,
All I can say is that I'm jealous of all your flying fields. The scenery is great. Down here we fly on a crop dusters landing strip in the middle of a squash field next to a state prison.[] Oh well at least we have a place to fly. The county used to have a paved flying field, but when property became too exspensive down here, well you can guess the rest. Well enough whining........I'm going flying.

Our thread is still one of the largest though!

SPUDS-out
Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM

raideron, Yes, the YS ran good that day. Usually does, but as soon as you start to trust it, wham, that's when she'll let you down. Not the Pres of the club, he wouldn't let you cross the runway to take a picture, just an innocent bystander.
Spud, So, when you lose a plane over the prison wall!?!?!?!? Also, I'd feel a little more sorry for you except you can fly all year. In December your field looks better than mine.
Have a great day guys,
Thanks,
Barry
Old 06-02-2005, 10:34 AM

Hey Barry, thanks for the pictures. [8D] Who's that good looking guy holding your plane and radio?? Looks like he has a pocket timer.......[:-]

Spud, I'm still looking into getting a Matt Chapman 580, just didn't know they were $199.00. Must be a good plane for that much...[X(]
Old 06-02-2005, 11:31 AM

That's me and that's my timer. I tried to sell it but, no takers. Now, I'm stuck with it.
THanks,
Barry
Old 06-02-2005, 12:44 PM

Have been reading through this long thread trying to find a problem similar to mine, think this is it. I entered a spin on Monday (not inverted) and then had no control at all, plane stayed tucked in to a tight spin all the way to the ground. It was our club's Memorial Day picnic and plenty of folks watching, quite a spectacular crash. Both halves of the elevator had come off as well as the rudder but don't think it could have happened in flight as I would have seen them fluttering.

Radio and all servos are okay and have worked on the bench so no idea what happened but felt pretty helpless. My wife was at the field for the picnic and watched it all the way to the ground. . Was flying a Magnum .70 four stroke with a 14X4 APC prop.

New one due from Tower today, this is my third .46. First one destroyed on an inverted fly by.

Will continue reading the thread for other crashes like this one but your plane was in much larger pieces than mine ended up! Spectators said they saw pieces flying high in the air as it hit the ground, motor was buring about 8" in the dirt. Will try to add a picture later.

ORIGINAL: CeeGee

Hey guys, Sorry to hear about the sickness going around. I've been very fortunate not to get sick at all this year. Gotta love that........ >>>>>>>> Warning >>>>>>>> The following picture is graphic in nature. Veiwing it could cause nausea, vomitting, and headaches........... Keep small children from veiwing it.

I took the UCD out for a spin after work today and the spinning never seemed to stop. I had done a few laps and some hovering and went up for some inverted flat spins [8D] and lost all control. [X(] I took it up high, went inverted, and it started spinning and spinning but then it got faster and nose down wouldn't respond to my inputs. [>:] It actually had a pretty good spin going untill the earth got in the way. [&o] Well, when I got home the look on my face must have said it all. My wife said "what happened to your plane today? Did you crash it?" Yikes!! I think crash is an understatement. I think aliens abducted it and decide to use it for a Kamakazi experiment. Fortunately my wife is the sweetest lady on the planet and she said "just buy another one." I take my marriage vows seriously and happen to remember "Obey" as one of them for this instance. Gotta start checking around for a deal on a new UCD.............

The picture was taken after I started taking it apart.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:02 PM

Dave, Welcome to the thread. Sorry to hear of your UCD loss.......[&o] I never did figure out what happened to mine. I bought a new one and have been doing some inverted flat spins but not as many as before. When I got my new one set up and pretty much had it set up the same as the first one, I was cleaning it one day and noticed that when I had moved one of the ailerons to full travel the servo horn was straight down and I couldn't return it back to the neutral postition very easily. It looked to me like the servo horn was so short that the throw for the ailerons was causing it to bind. I removed the short horns and installed some longer ones and put the linkage further out and got more travel with less throw of the servo. I'm not really sure if that was the root cause of the loss of control but the linkage is set up much better than before and couldn't possibly bind up now.
Good luck on your next one. I'm so glad I got another one and got back out flying with a UCD. It's the funnest plane I have....[8D]
Old 06-02-2005, 01:16 PM

Hey Spud, What do you think of this one? [link]http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=1365[/link]
Old 06-02-2005, 01:20 PM

Ceegee, I also thought of your posts about the horn binding. That only happens to mine when i accidently hit the control service getting it in and out of the car, but it does make me nervous about it happening in the air.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:26 PM

Dave. Welcome and also sorry to hear about your crash. On upright flatspins I find they are harder to recover from than inverted. If you let the plane slow down enough it just stays in the spin, even with nothing wrong. You must give throttle, release all the controls, let it stop spinning and THEN pull up elevator. Sometimes it takes a little distance to do this. If your runway is too high, well.... Anyways, just a thought. There may have been nothing wrong.
Thanks,
Barry
Old 06-02-2005, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback. I had done several other spins during the same flight and when I noticed I was in trouble, I was trying to feed in some left airleron to try to flatten the spin, have tried that dozens of times and it never worked but never got stuck in the spin. I have noticed that it comes out better with some speed. Must admit, by the time this one hit the ground, it had plenty of speed and I was throwing sticks in every direction. One of the pilots at the field had told me in the past that if he gets in a condition where nothing seems to work, circle both sticks hoping to at least get some movement/return of control. I think I tried that but in the panic, might have missed a few degrees.

One thing about this plane is that it is so easy to fly, I may be trying some maneuvers beyond my capabilities. As I mentioned, this was my second U-Can-Do and the third one arrived today, will put it together over the next week and try again. Interesting comments on the horns, I've accidentally moved the airlerons too far when transporting the plane and they did get "stuck" in that condition, wonder if that might be what happened?

It's the not knowing that is concerning but not enough to stop from trying again, this is definitely my favorite plane.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.