Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

super small loops, setup info please

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

super small loops, setup info please

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default super small loops, setup info please

Howdy, I have a Goldberg 40 size wildstik with an OS 46SF installed running a 12.25x3.75 APC funfly prop. In the instructions of the plane it says this plane is capable of tight 10 foot loops. Even on high rates, my loops are not near that tight! Ive got the quad aileron setup - I can also flip a switch to get to crow mode thats coupled to my throttle, ie, outer ailerons comes up and flaps drop when Im at low throttle.
I am not using the crow during loops, just regular outer ailerons. Can someone who knows more than me tell me if I've got a setup error, or just what I need to do tight loops?
Any help is appreciated!!
Thanks,
John
Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: super small loops, setup info please

how many degrees of up elevator do you have?
Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
JohnMcGowan

Ok MetJunkie, I just went and checked the elevator throws: low rate is 1 inch, high rate is 1 and 1/4 inch. The book calls for 1 inch on low and "all you can get " on high rate. It seems I recall that the plane wanted to snap out on anything higher than the high rate Ive got now, but cant recall if its this plane that does this snapping out on high rate or not ( Ive got several planes on this tx). Ive
got -70% expo on high and -60% on low. Im also using standard 425 Hitec servos all around.
What do you think?
Also, would it help to drop full flaps and ailerons for a total drooped surface on the wing and use full up elevator to do the smaller type loops(maybe slowing down a bit so as not to rip the aileron/flaps from the plane)?
Im trying to get ready for a funfly we are having in 2 weeks and I would sure love to see this plane do the stuff the instructions says it is capable of. It flat spins really nice and flies inverted with just a touch of down elevator, so I think the cg is fairly close. I did add about 1 oz of lead to the rear bottom of the fuse-right in front of the tailwheel bracket- to help with balance.
Also when I activate the crow, it almost stops in midair!!! Ive got about 33% down elevator mixed with the crow, thats where I ended up to get the plane to slow down to my liking rather quickly.
Thanks for any help again
John
Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM
MetallicaJunkie

on "3d rates" where everything is maxed out 60- 70 % expo is fine ..thats what i use on 3d rates for my little H9 Tango, and all the way up to my giant scale stuff... adding a flap mix when elevator is applied might work, i dont want to misguide you im sure someone more qualified in that dept will help you, as ive never used such a mix
Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
JohnMcGowan

ok, thanks.
On speaking of the Tango, I have one too,... just got it a couple weeks ago used with a saito 80 installed on it. According to the previous owner, the engine was in great shape.. YEAH.. RIGHT!! It was blowing fuel out the front bearing and one of the rocker towers were stripped out!! I got burned on the engine! Thats another story for another day though.
How do you like your Tango and what engine do you have on yours? What all can you do with it? Boy isnt that rudder ever so touchy though? Im waiting to get my engine back from being repaired , then Im going to fly it lots!!! That tango is a sho' nuff floater on landing, aint it? LOL Do you have airbrakes programmed on yours?
Thanks again MetJ, and maybe someone will chime in about getting me some smaller loops
John
Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Sorry you got ****ed over, it happens... i always try to buy from fellow modelers with good ratings, and stay away from non rc'ers that sell on ebay that cant answer specific questions

i have a super tigre 51 (italian) swinging an apc 12.25x3.75, with hitec 475's all around and std on throttle, it has unlimited vertical . Yes the rudder is deadly sensitive, tons of coupling issues as well, as in it wont knife edge. Its a breeze to hover, and does the most insane upright flatskin, Its not my favorite plane in my hangar, but when its too windy(30mph) to fly anything else, that what i take with me. I specifically bought it for funfly events when we have spot landing comps, climb and glide, bomb drop etc... Now that you mention mixing flaperons to elevator, i should probably utilize that i have the ailerons connected independently and experiment with that...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

John, outside of the highest thrust-to-weight ratio you can come up with and lightest possible wing loading, having the CG set as far back as you can safely handle is the key. I've gone too far and thankfully low rate elevator was low enough to wobble home with. You need flaperons set up so that the ailerons go up when the elevator goes down. I have no experience with [your] split flaps set up, I'm not sure if you want or need them for this style of flying?
I've got a couple planes that loop so tightly they look like grain thrashing machines flying low over the hay field.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Walt and Sage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John,

You want to mix your elevator (UP) with your ailerons (DOWN) ON A SWITCH !!!!!
Caution: careful mixing as you will be adding max movement to your ailerons...

You will receive TIGHT inside and outside loops....
DO NOT do normal flying switched on as it will get REAL FREAKY....

Walt....
Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 AM
JohnMcGowan

Thanks so much Walt!! Thats what I was looking for I think . Ive got a 9Super Futaba tx so I will have to check out what all I need to do to program this.
John
Old 05-12-2009, 01:11 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

John, for a risky mix like this one. I like to use the trainer switch. I use a spoileron mix quite a bit. Trying to fly with this mix on is a really bad idea. So I pull the trainer switch when I want it, them just let go when I am done with that manuver. On the 9C you can pick what switch you want to use when you get it setup.

David
Old 05-12-2009, 03:35 PM
JohnMcGowan

Much appreciated Dave, but thats where( the trainer switch) I have my engine cutoff switch on all my planes. I was maybe thinking about the tall switch on the front right side , the 3 position switch maybe? Man this tx has got a boatload of switches doesnt it, LOL ?
As you mentioned, the great thing about the 9Super tx is you can move whatever function you want to whatever switch.
Thanks,
John
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

You want the CG as far back as you dare. It should be getting twitchy on elevator on low fuel.

Set movements to about 60 to 80 degrees UP elevator and start with about 30 degrees DOWN flap. Use the Flaperons set up and put it on a switch. You can increase the down flap setting but do it gently and watch for control reversal at slow speeds with some models.

Enter at about 1/4 throttle and go to full power and full up elevator at the same time. the tightest ones may not be smooth.

That should get you tight loops.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:31 PM
RWP
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Walt and Sage

Hi John,

Walt....

I have several profiles set up with this mix. Sometimes even hover with it turned on. I don't find any problem flying with it turned on and at times even take off and land with it on.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Walt and Sage

ORIGINAL: RWP

ORIGINAL: Walt and Sage

Hi John,

Walt....

I have several profiles set up with this mix. Sometimes even hover with it turned on. I don't find any problem flying with it turned on and at times even take off and land with it on.

I Do the same thing and ALL my planes have this mixing...
HOVER, Flat Spin, Harrier landings, harriers all 3D with it on EXPEPT: Virtical downlines !!!!
Many planes will downline right into the ground with the mix on..
Going down flaps down, elevator up: THEY FIGHT EACH OTHER and at times
will DOWNLINE RIGHT IN....[sm=cry_smile.gif]
I have learned the HARD WAY on several planes...some planes are worse than others..

I said be careful but did not wish to get John way to confused...
Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

We are just the opposite John. I use the three position for the kill switch. I set center to kill and up or down to run. That way if I bump it it will still run. I am really spoiled with this 9C. I have about 6 seasons on mine now. Looking hard at the 10C but can't convince myself yet.

David
Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 PM
JohnMcGowan

Well I may be on to something now, tonight I was just checking the plane all over with the wing off , and as I was applying up elevator with the tx, I physically tried to push the elevator back to neutral. It moved back down WAYTOOEASY! So I got to looking at the elevator setup and the chinese metal rod that comes off the wooden pushrod then connects to the servo is just too darn soft! Its an appx 4 inch long piece that connects to the servo, so I clipped the shrink wrap off of it, then cut off the fiberglass and CA wrap that I had applied ( a little extra protection never hurts , then removed that bad wire and replaced it with a 4-40 rod. As an added bonus, I changed out the elevator servo from a Hitec 425 to a Hitec 605 for a little more grunt ! I hooked it all up , fired the tx up and then checked how much throw I have now.... MAN, OH MAN!!!
Ive SHO' NUFF got me some elevator travel now!! At Least 3 inches up and down, where as before it was pushing it to get an inch and a quarter travel! I think this might be fun now huh? I may even find that I have to tone down the travel somewhat if it snaps out, but thats ok.
Im going to fly it this coming Friday to try it out, then our club is puttting on a big funfly Saturday, bbq and all!!! If anyone can make it this coming Saturday, feel free to come fly/compete, watch, or even just eat with us ! Go to our club here to check us out: http://www.birminghamrcclub.org/main.htm

I'll post back once I fly this new setup and let you know how it did.
Thanks so much!!
John