Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

GP .60 Reactor Bibe

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

GP .60 Reactor Bibe

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 PM
livefast_livefun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP .60 Reactor Bibe

ORIGINAL: steinywi

Livefast,

I installed my cdi unit by below the tank, It keeps it away from the heat of the motor and allows better flow around the motor.
Junt my 2 cents . You will love this combo!
Steiny

Thanks, I em moving the CDI behind the firewall now. what prop a you useing with this engine?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 AM
steinywi

Motor runs great on a 17x6 but I run a 16x8 for clearance reasons, I fly of a asphalt runway! Goint to try a 15x8x3 blade nest weekend.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
kochj

I do you need the regulator for the ignition when using Life bats on the DLe engines?
Perhaps you do...
Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
kochj

Doing the throws and found out I could get 18-22 deg on the ailerons.
My servo arms are the Futaba. And apparently not even past the hatch line.
Looked at Mike b. Review, and his arms were a bit longer due to using micro servos...hence the start of servo was closer to the hatch....

May switch the Futaba 3000 standards out for some digital hitechs as they at least supply decent arms with there servos....but I am not going down the hitec servo woes road....but these are not the 7599tg or others so no issues with the karbinite digitals....okay on the size plane not okay on a 50 cc size.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:04 PM
kochj

Test flight/shakedown.

Flew 4-flights today.

Saito 1.25 Xoar 16X8 beechwood, I wish it was plywood, as it could take a bit more punishment.
All reg size servos

The saito 1.25 is perfect engine for it...
I wouldn't go any smaller.

The plane is tail heavy.

tru-turn anadized red spinner with lock nuts....

Flying:
It tucks during knife edge.
Need lots of Expo with this plane, but perhaps due to tail heavy condition..

A dle20 or any other gas engine in this weight would do great. I have found that it can use a little more weight...up front
Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 PM
kochj

Fix for the soft landing gear: Fiberglass/w/epoxy and silica. over Carbonfiber rod...
This is done on the inside of landing gear....Very easy to do with great results....

Have done the spring/wires deal before, and didn't like it ...\

I can take picts if anyone wants them..

Also, as bigger tank would be better...as the saito 1.25 drinks the fuel...

What are the flight times you are getting with the stock tank?

Again...I wouldn't use a smaller motor....a .81 or 91 4strk would be fine...but wouldn't give 2-1 power....only slightly better than 1 to 1 ratio....
Old 04-23-2012, 02:38 AM
ameyam

Starting wuth the FS91, how good is that while I learn the airplane? Will move up tp the FS110A later

Ameya
Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM
kochj

have you watched the GP video with that engine?
Looks great to me..

When I heard the engine/muffler in the air, I new I made the right desicion to use the saito 1.25.
What a Nice sounding engine. I had forgot how nice the larger 4-strokes thump in the air!....

I will try to get video sometime...
Also.... Am I the only one that thinks this is more of a aerobatic/pattern plane. Rather than a full
all out 3D plane???

I will see how it goes with a forward
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM
livefast_livefun

ORIGINAL: steinywi

Motor runs great on a 17x6 but I run a 16x8 for clearance reasons, I fly of a asphalt runway! Goint to try a 15x8x3 blade nest weekend.
How did that 15x8x3 turn out for you on the dle20?
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 AM
RACJ

ORIGINAL: kochj

have you watched the GP video with that engine?
Looks great to me..

When I heard the engine/muffler in the air, I new I made the right desicion to use the saito 1.25.
What a Nice sounding engine. I had forgot how nice the larger 4-strokes thump in the air!....

I will try to get video sometime...
Also.... Am I the only one that thinks this is more of a aerobatic/pattern plane. Rather than a full
all out 3D plane???

I will see how it goes with a forward
I agree with the aerobatic/pattern flight characteritics but it will do most 3D maneuvers. All the ele and rudd you can get and it flat spins beautiful. Mine is very hard to knife edge well. If you solve the puzzle to KE please let me know. I'm trying to now get it to go from a flat into a KE spin. I have Rimfire 1.20 electric on mine. Leaps off the ground and goes straight up spinning like a top(high rate ailerons) until out of sight. Love it. RACJ
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

You can get it to knife edge pretty nicely, but it takes a pretty good mix on both aileron and elevator to keep it straight. I ended up with about a 15% down elevator/10% opposite aileron mix. I forget the exact percentages, and it was slightly different from right and left rudder inputs, but I kept playing with it and got it pretty good (for me, at least: I'm no knife edge jedi, for sure)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM
RACJ

OK, one mistake I was making was adding a little up ele. So down is the trick.I'll start working on a mix in TX. I don't use mix on my other planes but I think you're on right path as I don't think all 3 imputs could be dulicated manually each time. I'll get some guys to help me with mixing on my DX8. THANKS,RACJ
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Probably depends on your CG too, but I had all 3 marks for the recommended range in the manual on the bottom side of top wing, and usually had it balanced right in the middle of that range. It would fly inverted with just a tiny bit of down elevator that way. Definitely tucked to the gear in knife edge without a mix...
Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 PM
livefast_livefun

well i just took my reactor bipe 61 out for the first time since i put in the dle 20cc plus a skywriter smoker! WOW is about all i can say! its a rocket! plus the smoke on it is a great add on! thanks to all with the sugestions, sure nice to have ppl that have done this before help with the setup! just took a couple clicks of up elevator to level it out. even with a full tank of smoke oil in it it takes off and flys great!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
kochj

I spent 3-4 flights working with the knife edge issues....
Mine didn't need any elevator input..
It needed ailerons.

While in KE, mine will roll on its top, with the bottom up....
I have a VERY tail heavy condition.. that will be sorted with the onboard glow, and
battery moved to the front, under gas tank...

I was planning to do a S.Pattern Primer this wkend with the reactor bipe...
Will let you know how it goes....

Truthfully, I would have liked to seen this plane as a pattern plane, rather than the big control surfaces...
I don't know what causes the plane to roll during KE...but It would be nice to not have it....

Perhaps because I really like the Sebart Mis Wind (biplane pattern)
Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 PM
kochj

A thread is always better with pictures...

This is what I did, and NO issues at all with landing gear...

If I would have changed one thing: Make sure you sand/rip off the paint so that the epoxy will grab the fiberglass gear.
Otherwise the paint will lift off from the gear At the area that is most stressed . THis is the area after the attachment to the
fuse and bends down... This is a very high stress area....

I will let you know how I do in the pattern contest tommorow with it....

Not sure what a "M" is ... so I will have to ask the caller
This was in the master program...so I really don't need to worry about it...

I may pick up a 7 or the Dirtybird....or I may just keep running the reactor..if they let me!...

THeses picks were before I cleaned up the glass on the gear...and the cowl looks much better when all pinned up...

I had placed my glow pannel on the wrong side of the fuse, and didn't have monokote, only ultracote...
The ultracote actually matches the cowl better than the monokote orange.....Imagine that/???
Either way... I will post picts when it has been dolled up...as it doesn't look very good in the pictures....
And actually, even if I didn't even touch the gear, you wouldn't see it anyway...as it is on the bottom of the plane...

Off to practice the routine on realflight for tommorrow...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11265.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1761677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13097.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1761678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60289.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1761679  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 AM
ameyam

I am nearly done setting up my Bipe. Has several mishaps with the pinned hinges getting stuck midway with the CA drying up before I could properly push in both rudder and elevator but I cutoff the hinges twice and did it ok last time. I built the airplane with a lot of customization and standard size servos all round, fibreglass, standard 4mm hardware etc, so it comes to 3.6kgs with the fs110a and 3.8kgs with the dle20. With the fs110a, I have to put the 3200mah battery under the tank to get the cg where as with the dle20, with the ignition and batteries under the tank and just behind respectively, I get the cg. Which one do you guys recommend I should use? I am leaning towards the 110 as it requires little cowl hacking. As you can see in the pics, even with the compact wrap around muffler on the dle20, it will be outside the cowl. Also, I do seem to note the landing bend outward along their shank once loaded, which is giving me some concern

Ameyam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88649.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1762244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92934.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1762245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44691.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1762246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66672.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1762247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uf49766.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1762248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96622.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1762249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx44825.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1762250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc96548.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1762251  

Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: ameyam

. Also, I do seem to note the landing bend outward along their shank once loaded, which is giving me some concern

Ameyam

Balance in the middle of the stock balance point...mine is rearward, and needed to be placed in the middle...

Yep the gear will give when landing hard, and you will strike your prop...

That is why I added the CF supports to mine..worked great...

Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 AM
ameyam

I am thinking replacing the gear all together with a heavy duty from a larger airplane. How about this one?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTAX4&P=7

Its much larger but sturdier

Ameyam
Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM
kochj

Tower has the Carbon fiber rod...
Cut it to fit and epoxy it up!...

One could get by with reinforcing the bend off the fuse, as this is where it stresses the most...

It is hard to tell from that pict, but I know that a 1.60 size Aerobat has very large gear.
That gear is too big...IMHO...

Honestly... NOt a big deal to epoxy it up...
Use aircraft epoxy (30 min) mixed with microballons ect ect....

I had silica, but wished I purchased the microballons instead....
They just mix up SOOOO nice..
Old 05-15-2012, 08:46 AM
kochj

Engines are your choice...

I tried to run my saito inverted, and it seemed that I ended up with horrible kickbacks...and thrown props...
I don't like that ...If I had ignition on it, that would change this and make it much more desirable to run inverted...

I know that the OS 110 is fine running engine...I would try running on the bench inverted and see how it does....this way you know prior to cutting the cowl ect..

My choice was a 4-stroke saito 125 (20cc) nitro.. because I wanted to be able to run it in soccer fields ect...
I also wanted to keep it light and powerful..

A 2-stroke is usually loader, and more irratating to on-lookers.. I know that the DLE 20cc muffler is very small w/o baffles and loud
You had a diff. muffler...and may be much more quieter..

If I had that 110 oS 4-stroke...I would run it.
Mainly due to the noise…I don’t like small volume industrial mufflers that are on that dle 20... And do not want to go out and buy one. Mainly do to the weight, and the lack or space to place a pipe…yes, I like tuned pipes…

At the same time, you cannot avoid the simplistic use and low maintenance of the gas 2-stoke…
I think you could toss coin and be happy with either, just as long as the place where you fly hasn’t issues with a loud engine..

I am going to purchase a Hitech gas guage... so I can see the gas level on my A9,,,,,
my head and case temp are @ 140-155 deg F. all is well so far..
Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
ameyam

If the 110 and the dle20 are a toss up in power like some have indicated, I will go with the 110 for now, simply because of its lightness and simplicity of setup (no ignition battery, kill switch etc). I dont intend to cut the cowl till I get the engine run-in and setup or decide on a final engine in either case, so I can test the 110 on the airplane itself. With the 110, I will need to put everything in the nose, under the tank to balance but that may actually be a good thing as access to the rx and battery will be possible without taking off the lower wing (which is a pain to remove and then reinstall). I am using LiFe, so I dont think voltage and extension lengths would be too much of an issue, I have soldered the connections anyway.

If required, I can always goto the 20 later if I am not happy with the 110. That is highly unlikely if it performs anything like the 91 I am using on the Reactor 46, but this is a brand new engine

Ameyam
Old 05-16-2012, 06:07 AM
kochj

The os 110 is a jewel...
would like to have there pumped versions...

I really wish they would go ahead and make some Gasoline 4-strokes..

Here is a DA 250cc 4-stroke SUPER CHARGED~!.......a real ROOTs type super charger....
http://www.flyingG-I-A_N-tS.com/foru...ad.php?t=73729
You need to delete the dashes in the giants....THis website will not let you do it...LAME...
OS smaller version please!...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM
ameyam

Would this gear be a good replacement?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNM65&P=ML

Ameyam
Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 PM
kochj

you want the plug'n play.......
Don't know...haven't any experience with those...
look at the demensions and go from there...

Seriously...though...the CF reinforcement works really well.. and goes unnoticed....

MY camera is misplaced...otherwise I would upload a photo of my plane assembled and sitting ...

THe Funtana 125 landing gear would work...from H9...??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.