Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

ALERT to All 3d Flyers!!!!!!

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

ALERT to All 3d Flyers!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2003, 01:41 PM
ballistic1
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALERT to All 3d Flyers!!!!!!

Hello fellow 3D flyers,
just wanted to start a thread about some of the club problems
my particular club is having with myself and other 3d enthusiasts
seems the other (sport) fliers dont like planes hovering low
over the active runway.
I am wondering on how other clubs are dealing with this issue?
I feel that as a dues paying member that I have the right to fly my stuff where and how I like as long as its done in a safe manner. but I also respect other fliers on what they perfer to do as well .

So here you go, let the descussion begin

Frank
Old 06-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Brains

Hi Frank i had the same sort of problem....They did'nt like me hovering or just flying aerobatics it comes down to some of them being jealous....I was hovering in the midle of the strip and they said i was to close....one morning there was a letter for me in the post saying they have kicked me out of the club....so then i went to another club which is tavistock radio control flying club and they are perfectly fine with me doing aerobatics as long as your a safe distance away....I am now sponsoered by rc world and fly at shows....

Regards Dean
Old 06-26-2003, 01:56 PM
dhooks
My Feedback: (24)

You may want to do a search on this subject its been discussed rather in depth here before.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:33 PM
stevezero
My Feedback: (11)

I dont think in most cases its a matter of jealousy. Alot of guys get freaked out by having a plane that low and close in. Just like alot of guys get antsy when a newbie is doing his first approaches or landings.

What it boils down to is open communication and tolerance. Ask for 5 minutes to get a flight in. Most guys will let you go on your own, just so they can watch and either learn how to do it, or watch in hopes of seein the really cool lookin crash. Ask the guys you are up with if they mind you being low. Keep your plane on the other side of the runway. That gives you some distance/bailout room, and gives them a little more security. You have to figure, you have an airplane in an entirely unnatural ttiitude, speed and angle of attack. The pullouts are usually going to be by the skin of your teeth, in an even more unorthodox attitude, at full throttle. That can be unnerving to someone when they are trying to meander along at 400 ft high with an ugly stick. Talk to your club officers and see what kind of compromises can be worked out. You also have to realize that what you perceive to be "perfectly safe flying" can look absolutely terrorizing to another pilot (just like riding a dirt bike vs watching a dirt bike being ridden). Those who arent familiar with it are usually scared to death watchin the guy goin for the triple jump on a supercross track.

As dhooks said, there are 90000000 threads on this subject, and it usually starts out with good intentions. Then it becomes a "I can do it and you can't, so blah" p*ssing contest, which just gets people irritated. I have yet to see where being able to do a maneuver (no matater how difficult or easy it may be) makes you a better person than anyone else, a better pilot maybe, but saying that others dont want 3d flying because of jealousy isnt going to help the cause.

Want a good excercise in mind management, replace 3d flying with training, or jets, or combat, or even park fliers. "Well, I think our club should outlaw jets, because they fly to fast and can explode). Youre going to have someone say the same thing...... "They just dont want jets, because they are jealous because they cant fly them". Then have the same arguement and see how much water it holds. It all goes back to tolerance. If the kids cant get along on the playground, they cancel recess and then nobody gets to play.

Not trying to flame anyone, just trying to avoid the inevitable flame war that starts on these threads
Old 06-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Good points so far.

At our club (>80 members and often having 4 flyers up at a time) we've integrated helicopters at the flightline for several years now. I mention this because the flight envelope and area usage for 3D fixed wing is quite similar. There were a lot of skeptics but, as long as the runway is clear for anyone wishing (and clearly announcing) their intention, this hasn't been a problem. Endless close-in hovering (by any type) is audibly annoying (and frightening to some) so it's discouraged. Hovering is 'encouraged' to take place at the far side of the runway to allow others to hear their engine....
Old 06-26-2003, 05:05 PM
Ian.W

Ive got the same-ish problem

ive got a unhealthy problem of walking around wenever i fly. They've warned me loades of times, so now ive got to stop. This was all empisised wen an autojyro lost 3 of its 8 blades. let just say it had as much lift as a heli with no blades!!!

It caused 1 plane to a hit a tree and a heli to crash (yepee). if i wasnt standing back i would have been in a simular condition to a pylon racer a full speed hitting a titaniam re-enforced concrete wall wih a 2 meter thick layer of kevlar sorounding it.

Ian
Old 06-26-2003, 05:35 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No problems here

Here, in Belgium, there seems to be very much a "fly and let fly" attitude. Of course, this takes a certain amount of tolerance on all ends. I hover close, fly low, and perform routines right in the little box favored by freestyle pilots. Nobody complains. The trick is, I have to deal with pilots that have little control over their airplanes and occaisionally even have to step back to avoid a reckless takeoff. That too must be done without complaint. A simple wink and gushing of breath that I am still alive is all that is neccesary. You see, if I think I am the only one doing it correctly, that would start animosities that can never be buried. I have seen it happen and I have seen great pilots asked to find another club. Each pilot has his or her own validity...they will accept yours...if you accept theirs.

It seems, all too often, that those folks that have many problems with flying in advanced ways also voice their problems with the way others fly. It starts the battle, and boom, dissention, contention, and all forms of niceties commence. Humility about one's own skills can go a long way to smoothing the road between the "left turn, low pass mafia" and the "watch me family".

Another way to ensure that you maight no longer be welcome is to argue that your hardware is of such a value that the least people can do is to give you some room. All pay equal dues and have right to the full void of airspace, regardless of whether they are flying a ZNLine Kevlar airlpane or a two dolloar foamy.

In four clubs at which I fly and several other that I visit regularly, I have never had a problem with anyone.

Mark
Old 06-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

I find it easier to fly with the crowd. When the sport flyers are up I keep it out a little bit and a little higher than when the 3D guys are up. I realize that it is a bit un-nerving when I hover right in front of the pist, doing waterfalls or whatever, so when the guys that don't apperciate that type of flying are doing their thing I respect them. When I'm doing my thing they respect me. It is a two way street.

The other soultion is the "Sunday Afternoon Flying Club" which is an unofficial group, consisting of MHawker and myself, and sometimes one other guy. We show up on Sunday afternoon, when the field is deserted and pretty much do whatever we want, within the bounds of personal safety of course.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:14 PM
3D'nPat

I'm a 3d enthusiasts and a club president. I'm also the only one in my club that 3d's. I'm aware of the dangers, radio failures and such so I do my thing away from other off to one side. Things can happen guys! A friend's friend of mine was killed last spring by a 40 size model. Wasn't 3D'n but shows you the reality of RC flying.
You know the thrill of walking close to your hovering airplane, I sure do. But if I'm not under control with someone else at the sticks it's no so thrilling but scary if the model is too close. No one wants to get hit with a prop. It's up to us 3Der to keep it safe
or the AMA with shut us down at our local clubs, if our clubs don't do it for them. Acidness have already happened and more will come. limit them by using your heads, safety come before fun.

Stay smart, stay safe, and happy 3Ding Pat
Old 06-26-2003, 06:34 PM
Kris3D
My Feedback: (1)

As said before, it is sometimes good to wait until no one else is out at the field (if possible) to do your 3D flying.

I personally have been asked a few times to not hover low and close and I kick myself every time it happens because I should have recognized before I did my flying that the group of flyers out at the field were not the type who appreciate 3D flying.

So my suggestion is to look at the other type of flyers out at the field before you start your flying to ensure that you don't make any other pilots uneasy.

Something to think about.
Old 06-26-2003, 06:45 PM
Ian.W

Pat

Im really sorry to hear about your mate. This happend this year in england. these accidents are definatly not what are hobby needs. if we give it a bad reputation 3d people will find it harder and harder to be accepted anyware because of the dangers involved with low close flying.

We should be trying to encorage people to fly 3d not putting them off by accidents like these.

Even though all the people complain, they do have a right. it really is for our and outher peoples safty

Ian
Old 06-26-2003, 07:31 PM
deletemenow

Most of you have nailed it right on the head.
RESPECT AND CONSIDERATION is what it comes down to.

I believe that is a two way street for both the 3-d flyers and the sport flyers. On anyday at our field we will have helis,sport flyers,a few 3-d flyers and sailplanes with hi-starts. With a little respect and consideration for each other we all get to fly.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:03 PM
YNOT

Been there done that.

Consideration is what is needed, by everyone.

We had a considerable thread on this subject a year ago or so.

What has worked well for me:

I fly at several fields on a regular basis and a member of 3 clubs. I do not just go up and fly and do my thing. I will place my plane on the flight line or starting area to give indication I am going to fly. Most people know my style. I will wait for everyone to land and go fire up and fly. If someone else comes and joins me in the air, I will tell them that I am flying right here in front of me, so be warned. There are several people I do not bother and will take off.

The dead line is always the day line and never fly behind it.

Try to find a gentleman's (Pilot) agreement with the other pilots. Let me go fly alone if you are uncomfortable with my style.

Just last week, I flew at a field I have never been to before. I put my plane up and just waited for the sky to be clear. The sky was busy and it was not looking like I was gonna get my chance. So I just walked up to the other pilots and asked if it was OK for me to go fly alone. When the asked why, I told them I was going to be flying right here in front of me and did not was to disturber them, while they were flying. I also told them because of me flying so low, that the probability of me busting up my plane would be high, so they would want to have a good seat for the performance . Everyone said OK.

I flew. Did my thing. Landed. Then everyone came over and said "DAM!!!!!! how do you so that? what plane is that again?" etc.

Was there again yesterday, and I was told, go ahead, we wanna watch.

Push come to shove, you need a 3D Warning shirt, to let them know how your going to fly.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Luke 3D

The only problem is when you do as much as you can, and the moaners still moan! Confounded bloody nuisance- that what i think of them and thats what they think of me, no matter what i do!
Luke
Old 06-26-2003, 08:55 PM
akahoverit

I hover behind the shed at our club since they started their BS
Old 06-26-2003, 09:06 PM
Luke 3D

do you still enjoy it though? When im moaned at it really spoils my day.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Frankenthumb

It takes alot more than some busybody grousing about the way I fly to ruin my day.

Heck, I've even totaled a plane before and still gone home happy.

It's all a matter of perspective.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:16 PM
Luke 3D

One look at the terrible flying site we have and the perfect field next door that the club chairmain can't be arsed to speak to the farmer about- thats what really makes me mad and ruins my day completely!
Suppose it is a matter of perspective. If i get shouted at , and then i manage a tail touch, i'm really happy!
Luke
Old 06-26-2003, 11:23 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

I was told to keep on the other side of the runway. I think I will just walk to the runway, like the pylon guys do, because they are special, so are we. I just try to go when few people are there, at least people who appreciate my flying is there. When they are about to land, I start the engine and then walk to the runway.

I agree that *right over the runway* is more dangerous than *other side of the runway*, especially where some people tend to turn on the transmitter before checking frequency board. We cannot be completely jerk-proof at the fields. Then there are battery failure, servo stripping, midair, ... things that we good pilots cannot prevent 100% of the time.

If a place doesn't appreciate you, there are 2 choices: find another place, or try to change them. I try to do a little bit of both.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:25 AM
rockmon

Man you guys would love the attitude at our field, I'm just now starting to hover well enough to be a problem but if it's a problem to someone do not come to our field because if there are six guys flying at least five of them are hovering or trying to right over the runway. It's routine to take off and land under hovering aircraft, if you don't like it wait till they all land for fuel and get a flight in while everyone is telling the other guy what he was doing wrong (hehe). Yup most of us are under 50 for the moment anyway and most of the time it's katy bar the door, we just have a blast. If you are hovering and someone takes you out or a plane that is hovering takes out another plane well that's when one of our rules kickes in, it's the no fault rule, we live and die by it and it works well. Hell I almost had a head on with my texas hurricane the first day I flew it with a magic extra and we both just laughed it off and in fact I don't want to crash the hurricane but the picture of that 22" prop just slowly eating that magic kept running through my mind while it was happening and still is for that matter and I almost naa never mind. You just have to fly 3d when the right group of people are there or when the wrong group of people are not in the air but most of us that fly like this know all that anyway so it shouldn't be a problem just be courteous and all should be fine.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:31 AM
ben flyn

This one's simple, at our field, If anyone does this, you are an automatic target. I would bet the farm you WOULD be taken-out.

When I do it, we have guys running to get their planes up, just to to take me out!
Old 06-27-2003, 02:29 AM
rockmon

Maybe your club could do a new fun fly event, take out the hovering plane. Ben Fly'n do they do this as fun or do they really want to take you out? We all think it's pretty cool to watch a plane do a slow inverted pass down the runway under four or five hovering planes, god I love this hobby.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:48 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure this issue has a lot to do with how many members you have and how many are trying to fly at one time. I'm kind of new to this stuff; but our club only lets four fly at a time. The other thing I have noticed is that all our members are very considerate and work really hard to let everybody fly the way they want and take turns. We have helos, fun fly, pattern and beginners all trying to fly. Every takes turns, the good guys are very nice about giving the beginners some free time. And the helo guys wait and all try and fly about the same time.

So, I guess I didn't realize how great we have it.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:34 AM
Kris3D
My Feedback: (1)

Mark I've been thinking about joining you over at eastons. It would be good to fly there because you guys encourage table top takeoffs and what not which is my type of flying.

What are the dues for a membership there?
Remember I'm only 15
Old 06-27-2003, 09:23 AM
ben flyn

Originally posted by Kris3D
Mark I've been thinking about joining you over at eastons. It would be good to fly there because you guys encourage table top takeoffs and what not which is my type of flying.

What are the dues for a membership there?
Remember I'm only 15
Table-top take offs???? No NO no..... It's table-top LANDINGS we do there.
We also just poured a 8' X 80' concrete pilots station which we will land on once in awhile.
I don't know what the dues are for persons under 16.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.