Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Help me choose my christmas gift

Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Help me choose my christmas gift

Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 AM
sr-71blackbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose my christmas gift

Hi guys

Ok, here is the deal, my dad wants to give me a new 3D plane and a new engine for this christmas but i don't know what plane will be a better choice, but there is a little bit of a problem, my options are quite limited since we are going to pick them up at the hobby shop (in Tucson Az.),it has to be one that the shop carries and it has to be a 40-50 sized plane.

here is a list of the planes that i can buy there:

Great Planes U-Can-Do 3D 46
Great Planes Reactor 46
Great Planes Reactor Bipe
Hangar-9 Funtanas 50x
Hangar-9 Twist 60 (i know its a 60 sized but it is the same size as de u can do)
I was going to put the showtime 50 but I already owned one so i want a diferent one.

The engine will depend on the selection of the plane but for most of them i will end up buying an O.S 91 Surpass, the easiest way would be get the reactor bipe but is a bit expensive (it costs nearly twice than the funtana, the twist, and the ucando) and i have to buy an engine so I'm bit tight on money.

Witch one would you choose??
also if you think that theres is a better engine combo for less price on the reactor bipe PLEASE let me know because i really like it

Thanks for any help
Sergio
Old 12-23-2009, 10:14 AM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Help me choose my christmas gift

I have the UCD 60 with a 91 4ST on it. It's a blast to fly, it has a very weak pull out of hover, but still a fun little plane. I see several in the UCD thread putting 91's on the 46 size, and they seem happy, just remember this isn't a speed plane, and control the left stick, you'll have fun. I personally wouldn't buy anything from hanger9,horizon, or jr. Do a search on here for the thread on UCD, it helped me make my mind up.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:10 AM
K.O.

I had a 46 UCD with a Saito 100 for 3 years. I would recommend that combo to anyone. Will do anything your capable of.

K.O.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:07 PM
fanoffive0

Great Planes Reactor 46 with Saito 82.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:07 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

If your shop can get GP and Hanger 9, they should be able to get anything in their lines. If my shop doesnt have a particular plane I want, they'll order it for me. I just recently bought a GP Reactor 46. Will be using a saito 91. Also got an Ohio Model Planes ProYak for an OS 55 AX. the theory behind profiles is the weight with very light wing loading; they should be able to do anything and just float through the air. I probably wont maiden them until the spring.

I also have a Hanger 9 Showtime 50 which I love. It currently has the Saito 91 in it. Its a cross between 3D and pattern. It might not be an all out 3D machine....but its great and alot of fun(will hover, flat spin, knifeedge etc - as long as its set up correctly). Well built too. Ive flown the heck out of mine for 2 years now and its still in excellent condition.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:59 PM
sr-71blackbird

Thanks all for the responses

I was thinking at the ucando because of all of them (excluding the reactor bipe for the price) it has the biggest wing area, but also because I have flown one with a OS 70 surpass, and i loved it but it was a bit short on power i felt it could use a little bit more, but don't worry this isn´t my first 3D plane I am conscious that these planes aren't for speed so no prblems there.

I may go with the UCD but...... I really love the reactor bipe looks, do you guys thing that it flys as good or eaven better than the UCD?? or should i just get the UCD??

BTW ro347 I too loved my ST 50 it was a really good flyer i just lost it too soon, the engine died on a hover and it was a bit too low to get enough speed and you can imagine what happened
Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 PM
ohnoucdat

There is a UCD in the sales here on RCU 60 size(cheap) NIB, there is a forum on the reactor bipe, great looking plane, but price for that size plane kinda out there.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:53 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: sr-71blackbird

Thanks all for the responses

I was thinking at the ucando because of all of them (excluding the reactor bipe for the price) it has the biggest wing area, but also because I have flown one with a OS 70 surpass, and i loved it but it was a bit short on power i felt it could use a little bit more, but don't worry this isn´t my first 3D plane I am conscious that these planes aren't for speed so no prblems there.

I may go with the UCD but...... I really love the reactor bipe looks, do you guys thing that it flys as good or eaven better than the UCD?? or should i just get the UCD??

BTW ro347 I too loved my ST 50 it was a really good flyer i just lost it too soon, the engine died on a hover and it was a bit too low to get enough speed and you can imagine what happened
The showtime is great! I wish I would have splurged and gotten the 90 size instead....but I like the size of the 50. It isnt super small like a typical 45 size plane.

Read the reactor forum...and go to you tube, There are a couple of videos on the Reactor. If it were me personally and had to choose between reactor and UCD, I would go Reactor. My logic is its an updated design, 2 piece wing etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp7qV4_Ub0w

But living in Mexico, Im sure you have to work with whats available due to shipping.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 PM
sr-71blackbird

Guess I will have to wait to be in the shop to make my final decision but at least now i'm only between the reactor and the UCD, I can't go wrong with either of them anyways
thanks all for the replays

Great video BTW

Sergio