RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Indestructable 3D airplane. You WILL want one! (video) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/1288949-indestructable-3d-airplane-you-will-want-one-video.html)

KC10Chief 11-19-2003 12:16 AM

Indestructable 3D airplane. You WILL want one! (video)

This is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. A real breakthrough in RC aircraft. Somebody on RC Groups is going to start making the kit and I think he already has. This is a real good looking RC plane and the guy bends the fuselage at 90 degrees and bends the wing. IT pops back into shape and doesn't fold or flex while flying. You really just have to see it for yourself. Check out the vid...
http://www65.tok2.com/home2/r/movie/SouthernX2.wmv
Matt

Aruba 11-19-2003 09:51 AM

RE: Indestructable 3D airplane. You WILL want one! (video)

WOW,
Where can I get one?

This is great.

John

Luke 3D returns 11-19-2003 12:03 PM

wow!
Looks like a laugh!

southern_touch9 11-19-2003 12:42 PM

I doubt you will see one of these in a kit form anytime soon :). Morris hobbies is seriously thinking about it and I think they have a prototype being built.

simon Ka 11-19-2003 12:46 PM

Not so. Its available in kit form right now. A guy on the EZone is selling them for $30. for all the EPP parts.

Mr Sekai who designed it has also come up with a dead clever prop retaining system, so if you crash the front end the prop just
bends on rubber bands!!

Luke 3D returns 11-19-2003 01:09 PM

Where is the thread on ezone? I cannot find it.

JRW 11-19-2003 02:45 PM

That is one cool video. I crash proof 'good-flying' 3D plane! Perfect for my street.
Jim W.

3DFanatic 11-19-2003 03:24 PM

EPP huh? SWEET

Hammbone 11-19-2003 03:46 PM

Where can I find more info on this plane and where can I order one?

That is cool!

Thanks, Jim

splais 11-19-2003 04:18 PM

Why has no one said the obvious. this is probably one of the greatest things I've seen in the RC world for getting new flyers into RC, especially kids without worry that their brand new plane will end up in a heap on the first flight. Seems to me this plane has an awesome future if promoted correctly.

3D Joy 11-19-2003 04:30 PM

Now that is impressive.

If the price is right, maybe I will get one. I am interested in the precision (or lack of) of flight. Knowing that these types of aircraft are far from being precise to begin with, I am not sure that I would get a "feel" of the aircraft. When I saw the airplane literally bounce off the ground, that made me wonder if the aircraft would flex during normal maneuvers and thus reducing precision of something already lacking some precision.

All in all, this must be a good thing to have when you want to fly home.

Cactus. 11-19-2003 04:55 PM

what amazes me is not more larger funflys built from the stuff. with a bit of clever cutting it shouldn't be too heavy, and maybe lighter than a SPA3D will all the benifits of propper wing sections.
was trying to convince a local EPP glider maker, but hes into gliders.

3DFanatic 11-20-2003 01:10 AM

ORIGINAL: phillybaby

lighter than a SPA3D will all the benifits of propper wing sections.

You mean the benefits of an actual wing ;):D

SunShyne 11-20-2003 01:55 AM

that is easily one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in the RC world. This is going to be a breakthrough once it gets popular. The guy flying the plane in the vid has some serious skill behind the sticks too! The tail touches/crashes followed by a quick take off just amaze me and make me laugh at the same time. :D

just what we need an inexpensive and durable plane for 3D practice and general fun fly.

Outstanding work from the guy who invented it!!
2 thimbs up![8D]

Cactus. 11-20-2003 06:45 AM

why does the video have to be so big? :( i'll never see it

the EPP trainers here fly very well and bounce even better. The use of EPP in gliders has really "taken off" i've seen a large scale mustang made of the stuff!

ChuckAuger 11-20-2003 09:37 AM

phillybaby, he has posted a smaller video for another guy who couldn't get the 26Meg to load.

Try this one:

http://www65.tok2.com/home2/r/temp/SouthernX2_s.wmv

Cactus. 11-20-2003 09:52 AM

i clicked the big link and it ended up as about 2mb. if it stoped early and i'm missing the whole 20 mins or what i dont know, i had about 2 mins, but i saw and i DO want one!
i've got loads of thin wall insulation used for indoor rubber powered planes here, it's not EPP but around a simple frame it would give shape at no weight unlike film which would want to form straightlines between points.
wondering how his fuz and wing stay in shape. sub structure, or each surface is cut from a solid block so thats the shape it wants to stay...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=southernx
thats a link to the thread btw

Crash90 11-20-2003 10:05 AM

So. How do I get one?

simon Ka 11-20-2003 10:12 AM

Philly.

Wing construction is ribs and carbon spars on a sheet of thin epp. One all ribs in place you fold the top over like a sandwich.
Theres a huge thread on another site that shows step by step construction....I'm I breaking the RC universe rules by directing people elswhere???[X(]

The fuz is held together with velcro, when you need access you just pull it apart!

Marcelo3DBR 11-20-2003 02:36 PM

Very cool!!!!

Crash90 11-20-2003 02:39 PM

Please oh please tell me where I can get one.....

Balsageek 11-20-2003 03:44 PM

Please post the link. Seems like people link back and forth to rc groups and other forums all the time.

KC10Chief 11-20-2003 05:05 PM

Here's the link. LOTS of reading. Over 27 pages in a week. Gotta keep up with this one! Matt
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...indestructible

Cactus. 11-20-2003 05:23 PM

the construction is all one the blokes web site. for such a new design hes incredibly willing to share.
as i've said else where i'm looking at my foam and wondering what to try. at a quid a roll, i can try alot.

KC10Chief 11-20-2003 07:15 PM

No kidding. If I had thought of this idea, I'd get a patent or something QUICK! But, he's more than willing to post pictures of the plans, the dimensions, how he did what and has been helping with info. This idea could be worth a fortune, but he's nice enough to just give it away. There's a couple guys making kits right now! I ordered one tonight. Matt