RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   YS CLUB (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/1904497-ys-club.html)

AcroJo 06-15-2004 12:44 PM

YS CLUB

Count me in. Got a YS110 being overnighted from Cheif Aircraft. Will see it tomorrow, ohhh yeahhh! I've been flying my UCD .60 with old faithfull, Saito 100. Runs great, but left me wanting more. This UCD was a heavier build for some reason @ 8 lbs. but the Saito just couldn't cut it when it came to hovering. Maybe I wore it out. Tried everything, tune up with rocker arm clearance adjustment, 30% heli, APC 15/4 and still ended up at the top end of the throttle range when it came to hovering. Runs hot on the 30% and would tend to lean out. Good engine but just came up short on hanging this 8 lb. model. I am now anticipating some raw power with a weight penalty of only 4 more oz. but I'll pick up an ounce with the removal of the Cline regulator. Should swing an APC 16/4 and will see if I need more than the current 4 degrees of right thrust. Later, Joe

Spaceclam 06-15-2004 12:51 PM

RE: YS CLUB

the ys engine is a great engine. the x4 prop is a little bit slow though. will come out to abotu 30 mph. that is just preferance but you may want to consider a MAS 16x6. runs phenominal with that prop.

AcroJo 06-15-2004 01:02 PM

Clam, the UCD dosn't require speed as much as it needs stump pullin' power. I'm looking for thrust with a lot of wash going over the tail. Joe

Spaceclam 06-15-2004 01:36 PM

yes, i am aware bu8t 30mph can be painfully slow even if speed is not what you are looking for. it's kinda like going 45 on the freeway. apc makes a 17x4 wideblade that works great on this engine and should turn at about 8800 and it would be perfect for your application though i would still reccomend the 16x6. you should get about 12-14 lbs of thrust with the 16x6.

barryb-RCU 06-15-2004 01:37 PM

Let us know how it fares on the YS. I've flown an 8 lb UCD with a saito 100 and APC 15x6 and it pulled out with plenty of authority to encourage tail touches. I don't care much for the APC 15x4 and 16x4.

Rhilluk 06-15-2004 01:49 PM

what height you guys flying at?

AcroJo 06-15-2004 02:26 PM

Foof, just under 1000'. Joe

Spaceclam 06-15-2004 02:41 PM

sounds like the saito is just worn out and tired.

AcroJo 06-15-2004 02:45 PM

Thats possible. Last season in six months it yeilded about 350 flights. Don't know where I'm at this season. Joe

SunShyne 06-15-2004 03:21 PM

good luck with the YS Joe, I have started a penny jar to saving for a 1.10 myself. I want that EF Yak for it :D

AcroJo 06-15-2004 03:24 PM

Matt, thats the way to do it. Set a goal and start with a good plan. Joe

Spaceclam 06-15-2004 03:41 PM

diablokid, do you have an aluminum can recycling program in virginia? in caifornia they give you $1.25 lb and that is where the money lies. prople love soda so if you get a couple neighbors to start saving up i can get $15-20 a month during the summer. diablokid, you will love the EF yak. it is the most impressive plane i have ever seen. build quality is great.

SunShyne 06-15-2004 03:52 PM

all the posts I have read where having your tank on the cg and NO pump or reg needed are worth the extra money you pay for the YS imo. havign to plump a reg and then set neel\dles etc is a pain the arse!

Only downside I have seen is several peolpe who have sold their engines becuase they cannot tune them properly.

add the +'s and the -'s and YS still wins.

matt

p.s. dont plan getting into the recycling buisness anytime soon but will keep a portion the paycheck aside to get it sooner than later ;)

AcroJo 06-15-2004 04:00 PM

Okay, enough chit chat, back on topic. What I'm looking for is some input on the 110. Any break in tips not covered in the manual, needle settings and do you have to adjust the regulator? Also if any one is near this set up of 8 lbs or a UCD preferably, let me know what prop size used, I have 15/4, & 16/4 APC and 16/5 Zinger. If you know what rpms your getting and right thrust angle required. Also I heard that they are pigs on fuel. I could live with that as long as it puts out more than it takes in. THanks, Joe

AcroJo 06-15-2004 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: DiabloKid
all the posts I have read where having your tank on the cg and NO pump or reg needed are worth the extra money you pay for the YS imo. havign to plump a reg and then set neel\dles etc is a pain the arse!
Only downside I have seen is several peolpe who have sold their engines becuase they cannot tune them properly.
add the +'s and the -'s and YS still wins.
matt

Matt, just took me longer to figure it out. Joe

Spaceclam 06-15-2004 04:13 PM

you will be perfectly fine. jsut get the engine and break it in like any other four stroke. you will love that engine i guarantee it.

vertical ts 06-15-2004 05:30 PM

who carries an apc 17x4?

Spaceclam 06-15-2004 06:02 PM

not very many. you can buy them directly from apc if you wish.

YS-I-DO 06-15-2004 09:51 PM

My flying partner has a UCD 60 with a 110. He's using an APC 16x4W, and it is drastically under-propped. Turns in the low 10k's with Powermaster 20/20. He could easily run a 16x6 or 17x4. Seems that the 16x6 would be the best choice for you, since you want more air moving over your tail surfaces. I'm experimenting with props on my YS 91. APC 15x4W is too many RPM, APC 16x4W has good thrust, but it seems that I could use a little more speed. Tried a Zinger 15x8, might be a little too much speed. Waiting for an APC 15x6, should be just the ticket. Anyway, I'm finding out that the largest diameter and lowest pitch aren't always the best for 3D.

AcroJo 06-16-2004 07:09 AM

YS-I-DO, now that is the serious input that I'm looking for. I have a 16/5 Zinger that I could try and get a 16/6 ordered. I know there will be some experimentation involved. How about run in, approxamate break in period and setting up the YS? Do you know if your friend needed more than 4 degrees right thrust? Also how about fuel consumption. The engine will arrive today and I know that a lot of my questions will be answered in the manual. Forwarned is forarmed. Thank you, Joe

YS-I-DO 06-16-2004 07:36 AM

My experience has shown that a YS will turn a heavy APC just as fast as it will turn a Zinger. So go for an APC 16x6. As far as run-in, I've bought all of my YSs used, so I can't help you there. That downside that diablokid mentioned has been a plus for me. All I know is that when the engine starts acting goofy, I refer to the manual, and set the high-speed and low-speed at 1 1/2 turns out, and the regulator flush. That is a very good starting point. Also, the high-speed and regulator have a very fine adjustment, so it doesn't take much. Here's an extremely helpful website for a new YS owner;

http://home.comcast.net/~mark.fuess/ys110.htm

Concerning my friend's UCD, he set it up completely according to the manual. I didn't notice a need for additional right thrust when I flew it. As far as fuel consumption, I get 10 minutes of 3D with an 11 oz. tank. The UCD owner says his YS gets much longer flight times than any of his Saito 100's, and he has a few. The key to making a YS run good is smoke. If it looks like you're running a smoke system while hovering, the engine will run like a top. Be very careful when tuning the top-end. If you get it too lean, the engine WILL detonate, meaning it will try to reverse direction at 9000+rpm. This usually results in a thrown prop, and the destruction of anything in it's path. If you are tuning the top and you're turning, say, 8800 with a 17x6 (just an example), and producing good smoke, don't try to lean it out to bring up the rpm. Try a smaller prop. It took me a long time, plus countless dead-sticks, to figure that one out. Good luck!

AcroJo 06-16-2004 08:08 AM

Excellent, thanks again. Joe

Rhilluk 06-16-2004 09:25 AM

what's the weight difference between a ys110 and os.90fs. Just seems a bit overkill for a UCD60.

AcroJo 06-16-2004 10:17 AM

Foof, for a relevent answer, you must be more specific. 2 or 4 stroke, pumped or not. All specs and weights are in the tech note areas from the suppliers. If the 90 was enough for the UCD .60, we would not be having this discussion. This purchase of the YS 110 is from flying results dating back to late 2002 with a Saito 100 and every prop option applied as well as alternate fuel delivery systems. Read and heed or buy and fly. The choice is clear when you want to buy once and enjoy the results. Joe

P.S. If you could specify what engine I would be more than happy to give you a comparison.

robert 06-16-2004 02:24 PM

RE: Breaking in. My 110 is not broken in fully yet, but Mark Novak said to run a gallon on the ground. What I did with my other two engines is make sure they run nicely on the ground, make sure theres a nice trail of smoke, and fly it (gently). The instructions will say how to break it in. BTw with 30% a 16x8 (APC) is no problem.