RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Midwest Giles (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/291335-midwest-giles.html)

flyinrazrback 09-27-2002 11:17 PM

Midwest Giles

who has flown one of these? gripes, complaints, applause? one i am wanting around 11.5lbs

rvd 09-27-2002 11:53 PM

Midwest Giles

I flew one at a funfly event this summer.. I only flew it once but I put it through some real torture! The owner asked me to because he wanted to see it's capabilities. The plane flies well and with the plane setup up smartly (high throws, far CG) it is a real blast.

As for building it, the gentleman said it was easy and the wood looked really good to me, typical midwest quality.
I would recommend it highly, it also looked really good. I'm not sure about it's low speed stabililty because I usually land all my planes hot.

flyinrazrback 09-28-2002 12:55 AM

Midwest Giles

is a moki 2.1 an overkill for this plane?

flyindoc 09-28-2002 01:45 AM

Midwest Giles

Originally posted by Flyinrazrback
is a moki 2.1 an overkill for this plane?

Overkill???? Whats overkill??? :D

flyinrazrback 09-28-2002 01:50 AM

Midwest Giles

ok

Homepylon 09-28-2002 03:26 AM

Midwest Giles

1 Attachment(s)
I've been flying one since February. Lots of fun in the air. Fairly fast and goes where it's pointed. Landings were terrible at the CG shown on the plans. Moved it back 5/8" and now lands nicely.

Kit is well engineered except for the gear mount. Way too weak. Otherwise a nice design that builds fast and straight.

I've powered mine with an OS FT160. Weighs around 12.5lbs. No ballast required with the twin.

ramrod 09-29-2002 03:54 AM

:p Hello Razorback: It is a mighty fine plane if kept light and balanced right ! We had one for 3 yrs till it quit when in a low hover - almost made it but pancaked pretty hard ! It was one of our favorites and still ranks high on the top 10 list ! It flew well on a Moki 1.2 but was just wonderful with the new OS 1.6 FX and 18x6-10 prop !! Flew on rails and would do most 3D and all other manuvers real well. Go for it and have a blast ! Rod & Chris in PA. :cool:

Jerkey 09-29-2002 05:51 AM

Midwest Giles

Mine has a G-38 on it. But would not recommend that engine for this plane. Flys heavy.

Mike

LORD_RC 09-29-2002 02:31 PM

Midwest Giles

If you already have the moki 2.1 I would go with the midwest cap or extra instead. The 2.1 would a bit heavy, too much power for this airframe. You may have to add more weight to the tail for balance too! Mine flys great on a Moki 1.20. Ive heard with a Moki 1.35 od the OS 1.60 vertical will be unlimited.

Ragarm 09-30-2002 03:50 AM

Midwest Giles

I have been flying one of these for around 2 years now and I am finally getting the bugs worked out of it. I am flying this plane now with a Saito 180 running 30% heli cool power for fuel. This plane has awesome vertical and alot of tork. Be care full of its high speed Stall rate it will really shock you mine has done it to me just a couple times. This plane is pretty easy to hover I am not to impressed with the knife edges but does do them with some roll coupling imputs. Axil Rolls are perfect have never flown a plane that does them better. Hammer heads and stall manuvers are easily done with little rudder imputs. Landing this plane was different at first I learned just to keep some power on until you are really close to the field. Just my two cents good luck

spuck5644 09-30-2002 02:27 PM

MW G-202

flyin,
This is an excellent plane. We built a total of 14 of these ships. One for us the rest for customers. All finished at under 11lbs. (Ours was 10lbs 4oz w/YS-120)
We made a number of lightening mods,,replaced the wing joiner w/balsa/CF, enlarged ALL the holes in the light ply, made a BUNCH of new ones, used balsa/cf spars, replaced all the ABS with fiberglass from Aeroglass, and I'm sure others that I've forgotten. (Check with [email protected]). We flew the plane for 2 seasons, sold it, and now have another one on the table.
If there are any warts, they are that the plane is kinda between sizes. It's not really big enough for our MOKI 1.8, but not small enough, (without really lightening the bird), for a 1.20.
My concern w/ the MOKI 2.1 is that "I" beleive that it would just make the ship too heavy. Chris, ([email protected]) was the pilot so he may be in a better position the answer the "feel" questions. Make sure you have or get the 1 pc landing gear. The early versions had a 2 pc gear.

This opinion and $3.50 will get you a latte almost anyplace in town.

Steve,

Puckett Model Aviation

bgi 05-21-2003 10:51 PM

Midwest Giles

An acquaintance is selling a MW Giles 202 with Saito 180. I have seen a photo and it looks nice. There are some crash repairs from crashes on take-off. I plan to go see the plane soon.

I'm not a super-experienced pilot and have never flown a 202. I have shunned them in the past due to their reputation as being harder to handle than other designs.

What should I look for on this plane? I'll likely not have a chance to fly it or see it fly. I'm thinking:

1) Weight. What's the max?

2) Balanced elevator (nails in the counterbalancers).

3) Wing condition (warps, uneven incidence, etc.)

thanks in advance

jon595 05-22-2003 02:13 AM

Midwest Giles

Look to see if the gear has ever been ripped out. This is the only weak area this plane has. I've built two of these and they will come out heavy if built with no attention paid to lightening it. My first one weighed 13 lbs with a Saito 180. Had a bad tendency to snap if perfoming a loop. Put a BUNCH of holes in it and this tendency went away. The lighter this plane is the better it flies.

Jon

dspadler 09-20-2004 07:33 PM

RE: Midwest Giles

I have a Midwest 202 that Ive just purchased from a friend at the field and replace his engine with a Webra 120. This engine flies it great but I think the CG is off now with the Webra on it. Maybe I missed it in this forum but does anyone know the correct CG on this plane or what CG flies it the best.

bgi 09-20-2004 08:54 PM

RE: Midwest Giles

I bought the plane soon after I made that post above. I haven't flown it. [:@] Heck, I haven't even run the engine...