RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great planes ultimate 160 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3240915-great-planes-ultimate-160-a.html)

Slyder 08-07-2006 07:22 AM

RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Thanks for the info Bill.

The only problem I have with the Ulty is feeling the stall.
I was doing some curcuits around the feild in a harrier, it is unbeleiveable how steady it is, and as I was making a turn it just fell. I was only about 20' high. Jammed the stick, Which with thoes short wings it about rolled, got foward motion just inches off the beans and still had to be very delicate on the sticks till the air speed comes back and just cleared the tree line. Adreniline is the best drug ever:D

maxun 08-07-2006 08:21 AM

never ever use ca on flight control surface the tensile strend is too low, allways use a good quality 30 minutes 2 part epoxy.

bubbagates 08-07-2006 08:23 AM

Eric,

I'm not good at harriers so it's not uncommon for me to have quite a bit of forward motion so that is something I have run into on the Ultimate. When I flrist flew mine, I had a hard time getting it to stall up high as I had my idle switch set to high. Once I went back to "normal" idle I found the stall to be quite sudden but once you learn where it is, it's quite predictable.

The Cap on the other hand does great harriers due to the slight amount of dehidral (i guess that helps it) It does require just a touch of spoilerons but not much but then again I have a bit more forward motion than most. I've just completed my trim flights and since day one it has not needed any trim at all on the trim tabs. All I ever added was a touch of right thrust and shaved about 1/16th of an inch off the back of the wing saddle to remove the pitch coupling it had. I did the first really low/high AOA KE passes this past weekend with it and oh did it look sweet.

bubbagates 08-07-2006 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: fishdeth

Dang Bill... now I feel responsible for your loss.
If I had kept my mouth shut, maybe you would have been lazy like me and not finished her, taking you out of that whole scenerio?
I haven't even had my 2nd flight with mine yet, but I can appreciate your loss.

Or as a very famous "Bubba" once said.... "Ah feel youwr piane"

Seriously sad,

Jim

Jim,

I was not your fault but if you feel really bad, I'll take a whole new set of servos ;):D I'm just kidding. :)

maxun 08-07-2006 08:31 AM

Sorry to hear abaut you lost, the I am sorry don't fix nothing, I hope he replace you plane, you are very nice, I will send it a bill of everithing that got damage, you are a real gentelman.

bubbagates 08-07-2006 08:40 AM

Maxun,

Thanks for the compliments. I never asked him to replace the plane, he offered and I argued a bit saying it was one of those things but then just let him do what he wanted. I wanted to go over and do to him what he did to my plane at first but I never let that show. I did tell him later when he called with the information on ordering a new one that I wanted to just beat the crap out of him. He figured I was going to do that anyway so he was prepared. All is well and good, I just checked Tower and it is being "picked". I'll probably see it early next week.

Guess I have to order some more "bling" for it :D

deckerv 08-07-2006 08:50 AM

Anyone try a Brillelli 46 in this yet by chance? Just curious.

bubbagates 08-07-2006 09:35 AM

I saw one of these last weekend turn the 22X8 PT prop that was on my DA50 very well on a test stand. My bet is this would be a great engine on this plane. I'm not fond of not having a choke though. The stock muffler seems a bit loud also but the price is definitely right and I hear these guys are great to work with

dubd 08-07-2006 01:20 PM

Is the gold trim on the cowl paint? I hate the color scheme for this plane, especially the tacky gold trim.

Maudib 08-07-2006 01:25 PM

Yes, unfortunately it is... but you can easily mask it off and paint over it... OR cover it in a vinyl strip...

deckerv 08-07-2006 01:42 PM

Thanks man!!! Thought if anyone knew.. bubba would! I really like my Brillelli.. and seriously contemplating putting it in the Ulti soon if I can't get my engine problems cured soon!!! I'd rather have the Christen Eagle sit than the Ultimate.

ORIGINAL: bubbagates

I saw one of these last weekend turn the 22X8 PT prop that was on my DA50 very well on a test stand. My bet is this would be a great engine on this plane. I'm not fond of not having a choke though. The stock muffler seems a bit loud also but the price is definitely right and I hear these guys are great to work with

fishdeth 08-07-2006 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: riotgear

I hate the color scheme for this plane, especially the tacky gold trim.
Then get a Wild Hare Ultimate.... has a more "hip" color scheme.
I Love this one for its Patriotic Colors !

Right Bob ?

Jim

Maudib 08-07-2006 05:37 PM

Riotgear...

Did you see the Bling Set I make for the Ultimate?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r...ages/pose5.jpg

Lafus Maximus 08-07-2006 06:32 PM

I didn't like the gold trim at first too, but it really grew on me. I think it is a really classic scheme, nice and clean. A buddy of mine is cutting me a gold DA logo for the top of the cowl that matches the gold trim. It is a nice gold, not too gaudy, and there isn't too much of it. Did anyone else notice that this plane looks bigger in the air then on the ground? I don't know why, but even other guys at the field said it really made a big presence in the air.

LonestarMan 08-07-2006 07:34 PM

Sorry for lost Bubba[:o]--but is it me or does it seem like these planes have a HEX on them or summthin'. It seems once you get them set up the way you like,they crashed due to no fault of the pilot ie.radio or engine problems;other planes crashing into them;servos go out inexplicibly or whatever else the reason:eek: Guys at my previous field are on their second one with measured apprehensions. Just seem strange too me[&o]

bubbagates 08-07-2006 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: LonestarMan

Sorry for lost Bubba[:o]--but is it me or does it seem like these planes have a HEX on them or summthin'. It seems once you get them set up the way you like,they crashed due to no fault of the pilot ie.radio or engine problems;other planes crashing into them;servos go out inexplicibly or whatever else the reason:eek: Guys at my previous field are on their second one with measured apprehensions. Just seem strange too me[&o]

At first I thought the same thing but after well over 150 flights and 100 of them really hammering the heck out of mine, I thought for sure a case of dumb thumbs would take mine out. I can close a few times, landed, cleaned out my underwear, chain smoked for a while then went right back at it.

It's always your best planes that have this issue, it's like having a brand new car, you park it way out in the parking lot where no one else usually parks and you come out and find door dents and scratches.

Wow, I just realized that there are people saying how sorry they are about what happened that I have never seen post in here before now. I'm flattered by that and all of you for saying how sorry you all are. You cannot see in these mere words just how great that makes me feel.

Thanks everyone

FlyEng 08-07-2006 08:05 PM

Man I like that bling. Maudib, how can I get some?

Maudib 08-07-2006 08:11 PM

I've PM's ya... anyone else can just PM me...

bubbagates 08-07-2006 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: flyeng

Man I like that bling. Maudib, how can I get some?
Look at the review video Maudib did. That bling really does show up well. The sparkling it does is really easy to see and tells you very quicly which side you are looking at

Maudib 08-07-2006 08:53 PM

Review is here for anyone interestd:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=636

Bob Pastorello 08-07-2006 10:27 PM

If you hate the color scheme of an ARF, **** WHY **** would you buy it? :eek:

Barry Cazier 08-07-2006 10:54 PM

:)bubbagates...

I'm also sorry to hear about your loss. I can tell by your posts that you love Ultimates...especially that Ultimate.

But.......be sure you take it all in stride. It's part of the hobby to lose airplanes. I can tell by your comments that you know in your heart the guy didn't mean to hit you. Take it easy on him. He may "grow up" to be a good RC pilot someday.

Like my wife said to me after our son totaled my Corvette. "Aren't we LUCKY, nobody was hurt?!" Gag me. I'm out a beautiful car and we're LUCKY! Well, after I thought about it all I could do was "count my blessings". We are lucky. We are ALL lucky to take part in this hobby. We were all there once, not able to fly very well. I'm just glad I didn't hit anybody in the beginning. Would have been rough.

Sorry about the soapbox.....

Thanks
Barry

dubd 08-08-2006 01:29 AM

ORIGINAL: aerobob

If you hate the color scheme of an ARF, **** WHY **** would you buy it? :eek:
I should have been more specific... I hate the tacky gold trim. I am buying the plane because of the build quality, flying characteristics, etc... which ultimately are more important for me than the colors... but having options would be nice...Great Planes take note! I will mask off the gold as Maudib suggested. :) Maudib, your plane looks much better than what GP did!

bubbagates 08-08-2006 07:00 AM

Barry,

Yea I was over it the next day to a good degree. Yep, I'm still a bit bummed because she was a great plane, but as I said way earlier in this thread that if I ever lost it, it would get replaced and that is exactly what I have done, even if he would have not paid for it I would have got another, just not as quick.

I understand about counting your blessings, been there, done that more than once and none of it had anything to do with RC

Anyway, I'm not sure if the gold trim was actually changed to vinyl or something else, but on my first one, it appears to be just Monokote so given a little time and patience, it could be removed.

Maudib 08-08-2006 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes it's easily stripped from the fuse... but it's paint on the cowl... Would need to be masked and painted... but we're talking 30 minutes of work...

Funny, I too wasn't real keen on the gold stripe... seemed to date it... btu after I blinged the wings/stabs/logos, I never mnoticed the gold stripe again.

A person could bling those too, paint white over the gold on the cowl, and a custom bling something or other cut to meet the stripe... like an eagles head, or swoosh...

Something down and dirty to give youi an idea...