RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great planes ultimate 160 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3240915-great-planes-ultimate-160-a.html)

bubbagates 08-08-2006 08:06 AM

RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Dave,

If you are still cutting it on large sheets, then there is enough left over to easily replace the gold stripping with the bling and the fuselage and cover over the painted gold on the cowl. I wish I would have thought of this sooner. I would have done that and would have looked so cool. I will do it on the new one

Maudib 08-08-2006 08:42 AM

The bling is foilized and doesn't like compound curves... thus around the front of the cowl, at least around the nostril, won't work well...

dubd 08-10-2006 01:31 AM

I got my GP Ultimate from Tower today. Very impressive plane. Here's a pic of the fuse next to my DP Ultimate. I've already started taking the gold trim off. LOL

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...r/IMG_0417.jpg

maxun 08-10-2006 01:07 PM

This is my ultimate 2 day ago.

http://media.putfile.com/Ultimate-in-Harriers

rmflyfish 08-12-2006 07:25 AM

Hey Bubba!

Sooo very sorry for your loss, V2 will be that much sweeter..!

I saw in another thread, you where running Smartfly reg's and power expander in your 50CC planes. I'm about to make decisions about those parts for my Ulti and would like to know what your config was.

I plan to run redundent Fromeco 2400 Relions for the reciever and a third 2400 for ignition, but I'm struggling with the configuration as to regulators, switches/charging ports, and the advantage's, if any to the power expander sport?

so far I think I'm settled on:
Relion 2400 X 3 (very cost effective)
smartfly ignition reg. (also cost effective)
smartfly optical kill (a must have)

but I'm still debating the:
SuperReg (single point of failure?) VS independent Failsafe Reg's w/ switch
and what advantage there would be to fitting the Expander Sport in there somewhere?

I'm running 6 X HS5625MG's and a HS5955TG for the rudder

Enlighten me oh wise one of many birds!

-all input graciously accepted, of course-

PS: Not being as brave as fishdeth in moving from 3D electrics to giants, I found a complete U-Can-Do 60 w/ FS91S to practice with before I throw the Ulti into the air. I hope it helps 8-)

Thanks in Advance:

BP

Maudib 08-12-2006 08:18 AM

I'm not Bubba, but too am a strong proponent of the SmartFly products...

If you were to call Robert Ritchey (owner of Smart-Fly, he'd tell you that running two separate regulated power sources into a receiver isn't a good solution. This stems from the way they work and the limitations of the IC... from what he has shared with me, one will take the "lead" from the get go and will not hand off when the other one has more voltage.

The SuperReg is bascially a top quality Failsafe Reg WITH his Battshare product integrated into one item.

This allows you to put 2x2400's on it and effectively have 4800 mah available with the redundancy that if one fails the other pack will still perform and get you down.

For me the reliability of Lions and Smartfly products allow me to feel perfectly comfortable with a single 4800 pack and a single failsafe regulator.

This affords the added convenience of charging only one receiver battery, vs needing to charge two separate packs.

I personally have changed from using a Lion on the ignition to a 4 cell nihm/nicad in a 1000-1400 size... There are no real advantages to using Lion on the ignition... as 1000-1400 will last all day and perhaps two full days of flying. Since you have to use a regulator, there's an added failure point and no weight savings. And of course, the cost of a 2400 lion and regulator is considerably more than a single 4 cell pack.

Now if I had an engine whose ignition would take a Lions 7+ volt source... I would probably go ahead and use a 2400 with no reg.

This is one perspective... there are plenty others... :)

-J. David

rmflyfish 08-12-2006 10:07 AM

Thanks for the input David...

I'm with you on the ignition battery, I thought the 2400 lion was overkill and nihm's should save a couple bucks and possably some minor weight and space as well.. I'll consider that strongly.

As to the Super Reg, it appears to have 2 batt inputs as well as two batt out's, so i'll still have two seperate power sources into the reciever, but am I right in assuming that I won't have the issues with one battery being the 'primary' and the other as a slave because of the circutry (BattShare) in the SuperReg?

Also the SuperReg appears to have two charging ports on it, and there is an option for 'Failsafe-switch and charge package' which may solve the charging issues. Maybe someone can confirm that it does come with either two switches and two charge cables to the SuperReg or one switch and a 'Y' type charge cable to get both batteries. I would assume so. If all else fails I will call Robert and talk with him.

I do look forward to doing business with Robert and Smart-Fly, as his entire product line appears to be very well thought out and high quality (which I am making a criteria for this plane). That along with reading his posts about the vendor problem he had and how he is addressing it sounds like just the kind of company I want to deal with, just as D.A. will no doubt be on my list for future engine purchases.

But please, lets continue this discussion about the electronics, as this wonderful thread continues to expand my knowledge and make me feel more comfortable making the leap to giant scale and gas power. Thanks for all the great input, this thread is a wealth of information and well thought out opinion!

Regards;
BP

Maudib 08-12-2006 10:32 AM

The two "outputs" are not separate power... just two plugs to decrease resistance and therefore dropping votage...

In your case you would create your own power leads by attaching male deans plugs the ends of standard 3 pin receiver pigtails.

The reason for two is because these 3 pin connectors are only good for about 3.5 amp each... double them into the receiver doubles your current capacity (7amp) before the voltage drops due to resistance.

Long haired... but the simple reason is that this makes sure your servos get the most voltage and thus power/speed. 7-8 servos (let alone digitals) can actually draw upwards of 1.5-2 amps each at full stall... even if only8 4 are woking hard at one time... that's upward of 8 amps.... asking for 8 amps on a 3.5 amp connector is gonna drop volts fast... and thus the servos are less powerful and slower when you need it most.

Again, the two batteries you attach to the super reg are separated out with the two power connectors... the have already been "combined" by the built in battshare.

The single switch turns on the power.. no need for two as there is only ONE reg.

The two separate charge jacks are so you can charge each pack separately... and thus find issue with a weak oir failed pack.

Again, on this Ultimate... I personally would strongly suggest a single Failsafe Reg, 4800 Lion pack, an Optical Kill and a 4 cell AA size nimh pack on ignition.

This is the lighest option and is VERY reliable. Just make sure to charge your Lion pack properly and you'll enjoy countless flights worryfree...

BTW... the optical kill is wired:

Ignition power lead to Optical Switch to manual switch to ignition battery.

Also make sure if you'll be not be flying your Ultimate for a week or more to unplug the battery from the Reg (regardless of which one you go with) Even with the switch turned off (or flagpin plugged in) a small amount fo juice is being drawn from the packs... if they are low from fly8ing and you let them sit for a week or two... it could drain them below 3 volts per cell and they might not come back (read they WON'T).

bubbagates 08-12-2006 03:49 PM

BP,

Sorry, I've been pretty busy this week at work so I did not see your post until now.

I do agree to a point with David. Yes, the SuperReg is a single point of failure, BUT it does have the ability to isolate any bad battery completely from the system as well as isolating a servo that may be caising problems. Now I have been changing all of my servos to the Hitec 5955 and they can handle 8.4 volts so from what I understand, if the SuperReg fails it fails open, so I'm OK even though I have the servos seeing 6volts.

My original setup was 2 2400 Fromeco's into the SuperReg and into the Xpander. On V2 which is just waiting for the engine to come back and me to buy the servos, it has 2 Fromeco 2400's into 2 badger switches, into the SuperReg then into the Xpander. This is the setup I use on my Yak and soon to be in the Cap. (I have 1 4800 Fomeco on the receiver and I do not like it, no redundancy).

On all of my gas planes I use a Fromeco 2400 through a Badger switch, into the Fromeco regulator then into the ignition, with one exception, the 3W ignition on my Yak can handle a fully charged 7.4volt Li-ION pack so there is just the 2400 into the badger then into the ignition.

I use the Badger switches as they are only a couple of bucks more than the MPI or JR charge switches and are failsafe meaning that if the fail, they fail on. I found out this works as I had installed one on the receiver in my Cap and a few days ago, I went to turn the plane off and after putting the pin in, I found the receiver still had power. I sent it back and it had a problem so they replaced it free of charge.

All the gas engines I own use the Smart-Fly optical kill into the gear channel, but any switchable channel will easily work

bodywerks 08-13-2006 05:42 PM

Well, sorry to dissapoint, but I will not be going with the BME 55 for obvious reasons (it still ain't available!) and now have the DA in my hands. I am going to find other areas to shave weight and hopefully be at 14 pounds or less.

Maudib 08-13-2006 08:09 PM

If anyone can do 'er... you can Bodywerks... though I'll tell ya, aside from being anal about evey item you put in... there's not much more to lose aside from a CF spinner... you could leave it off and the wheel pants... but this plane looks necked' without 'em.

I even considered using Chip Hyde Horns, but found I would only save the teensiest mount... Titanium pushrods might help a smidge. A small 2 cell lipoly for receiver, 12 oz tank...

If you haven't already starte dto put it together... you'll see what I mean... perhaps the lightest ARF manufacture that still seems plenty beefy.

bubbagates 08-13-2006 08:23 PM

Bodywerks,

I agree with Dave as well, there really is not much you are able to do to put this thing on a diet the would not kill the looks. Now if looks do not matter much then do what Dave suggested about the spinner and pants but as far as I am concerned it's ugly without them.

Heck, a DA50, even at 16lbs is gonna fly this thing well

Lafus Maximus 08-13-2006 09:20 PM

Mine weighed in right at 16 lbs (or so my scale said) with a DA-50, and the power is amazing. It is a rocket out of a hover, and I only have about 5 tanks of gas through it richened to 6800 rpm with an NX 22x8. Even at your altitude, I think you will be pretty happy with the power and the weight.

Maudib 08-14-2006 05:57 AM

Bodywerks is flying in the nosebleed section of America... and every little bit counts...

Bodywerks, my review subject was 14.75 lbs built as light as I saw possible with the Fuji 43...

This was with a 4800 lion and SmartFly reg and Ignition Kill, fiberglass spinner and titanium aileron pushrods... the RCU review lists all the equipment I used as far a servos (2 oz ea. Digitals all around except the throttle ... coreless mini servo there.

Based on the overall weight of the engines (they are nearly identical with ignition & muffler)... You SHOULD be able to build this at under 15 lbs...

I say this only because some are reporting higher numbers, but I KNOW you scrutinize every aspect of the build... so You'll get it there for sure... Only way this plane'll see 14 lbs complete is is the engine fairy leaves a fabled 55cc engine under your pillow... ;)

ORIGINAL: Lafus Maximus

Mine weighed in right at 16 lbs (or so my scale said) with a DA-50, and the power is amazing. It is a rocket out of a hover, and I only have about 5 tanks of gas through it richened to 6800 rpm with an NX 22x8. Even at your altitude, I think you will be pretty happy with the power and the weight.

BoneDoc 08-14-2006 06:21 AM

lol :D. I guess hype can only carry you so far.

Maudib 08-14-2006 06:30 AM

Josh... ??? What hype?

BoneDoc 08-14-2006 08:06 AM

BME55, not the Ulti :D.

Snowmass 08-14-2006 10:52 AM

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread, but does anyone know of an aftermarket landing gear for this bird? I'm running a Saito 300 TDP (15 lbs AUW) and the gear are very spongy. Thanks.

bubbagates 08-14-2006 01:05 PM

TNT has aluminum gear for it but it's expnsive and heavy

The stock stuff is fine. I was one of a very few that had issues but since then I have been between the stock stuff and the TNT stuff testing things and all has been just peachy

There are posts scattered throughout this thread about people making spring mounts and adding lightweight springs to the gear to help reduce the flex

bodywerks 08-14-2006 02:16 PM

Thanks, guys. This plane will actually be flown in southern California, so power is not the issue, just wingloading for me. Proper equipment selection should get me down in the 14 pound range. I already did my little aileron mod for dual servos instead of quad servos, will be using a stock muffler instead of a pitts muffler, Cf spinner instead of the supplied spinner, and no extra equipment. like regulators or choke servo, etc.

Maudib 08-14-2006 02:50 PM

Hmmm... never considered linking the ailerons with kicker linkage.

I was basing the weight on the stock muffler... (as you know the Pitts is several ouces more0.

And mine was with a fiberglass spinner that weighs about 1 oz heavier than CF.

Still if you drop 1/4 lb in servos/extensions, and oz here or there... hmmm...

Well anyway... good luck with that... :)

bubbagates 08-14-2006 02:56 PM

bodywerks,

I'm counting on the mod was to beef both the upper and lower mount points for the airleron interlink. Someone that did the interlink on a WH Ulti just posted last week that he did not use good hardpoints in both ailerons and over a short time the ailerons gave out and he lost the plane. I want to say it was SilverSurfer but do not hold me to that. He was also going from 4 to 2 servos

bodywerks 08-14-2006 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted pics of my mod somewhere in here. It's a length of 440 rod that goes through the leading and trailing edge of the aileron, as well as along side one of the ribs and soaked the TE balsa in CA and epoxied the rod to the rib. It feels very strong and sound:
Sorry 'bout the 3rd pic, but you can see that yellow blur and that's epoxy securing the 440 rod to the rib.

bubbagates 08-14-2006 09:11 PM

sorry bodywerks, I must have missed that...

jamiem75 08-14-2006 09:40 PM

The boys in brown just dropped off my ultimate today. This plane looks awesome! The motor box and firewall look like a well finished piece of furniture.
I have read part of this thread and a lot of the posts in here definitely influenced my decision to buy this plane. This is my first biplane( I'm one of those yak, giles, extra guys)
Anyway, I have a lonely da-50 on the shelf that I am planning to install in this model and was wondering if the guys that have this setup could share with me any of their opinions on the building and flying this beauty with the da.
I'm sure this combination has been discussed in here but between kid,wife,job,flying I never have the time to sit and read these things for long. So thanks for your input.