RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great planes ultimate 160 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3240915-great-planes-ultimate-160-a.html)

bubbagates 11-01-2005 08:49 AM

RE: Great planes ultimate 160

I would not use PCM to fix this. Although PCM is a good idea, you should never use it to get rid of an interference problem. The problem will still exist and will only be a matter of time until it shows it's ugly head again

It does sound like a receiver problem, maybe a crystal. I just did a showtime and used the new JR Sport 125 servos on the ailerons and hitech 5945's everywhere else with a Li-Ion system and regulator. The JR servos would twitch widely but everything else was the same.

Took the off the extensions and plugged them directly to th reciever, still had the issue. Took out the crystal and replaced it and no more problem. If the crystal would not have solved it the next thing was going to be the reciever.

MormonMike 11-01-2005 12:00 PM

Sounds good what you guys are doing but........ I'll stick with a "tried-and-true" Fox 3.2 and of course, carbon fiber rods for control. Can't wait to smoke up the sky. Question, would a "Red Burn day" apply to us ? :D MM

Bob Pastorello 11-01-2005 12:22 PM

Bill - I am in complete agreement regarding your "reasons to NOT use PCM". My half-vast experience (30 yrs) has proven to me that NOTHING should be "fixed" by filtering. Or code processing.

I will get to the bottom of this, and appreciate the suggestions.

First and easiest try is different rx, as I have a spare. If it acts the same, then I will know for certain it is structural/component layout (or RF noise/reflections within my shop - that has happened before, a GP Pitts, and it was solid/reliable/worked fine OUTSIDE!!!)

Ahhhhh, the mysteries of modeling......

bubbagates 11-01-2005 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: aerobob

Ahhhhh, the mysteries of modeling......
Aw, the mysteries of modeling that turn what's left of one's hair even more gray and shrinks the gray matter to nothing.

I think I'm finally gonna get to start on mine either tonight or tomorrow. I just finished my Showtime and it's behaving now so it's time to clean the work bench so I can mess it up again :D

iflywhenican 11-01-2005 03:26 PM

I have found that JR servos seem to have a natural "glitter" about them on a fully charged battery pack. Have seen the same with Hitec also. After a little wear-in though it seems to settle down some. The use of coreless servos work better for finding center quicker than standard cored motor servos.

Bob Pastorello 11-01-2005 03:55 PM

Almost....;)

I have installed digital JR 8231's - and they aren't "jittering" at center (that's the buzz/hunt for digital zero when it doesn't really exist in our space-time continuum. But they keep searching, nonetheless.) THESE puppies are BOUNCING... I"m talking full clock-rate 1" + and - center excursions that make a noise to be FEARED!!!

(But kinda cool to watch in a perverse sort of way[&o])

I'm puttin' my money on the tx/antenna/servo leads positioning..... but I'll know in a few hours!!

BTW - NEWS FLASH for BRISON owners..... Gary at Brison talked to me about recent changes from the supplied C&H Ignitions. If they are marked with a tag on the aluminum ignition housing that reads "Synchro Spark", THEY HAVE THE "advance module" BUILT IN..... This is important to know, as Kangke is totally clueless, and we all know the history of the external module.
IF you order a new Brison, it may likely arrive without the advance module.... if this happens be sure to check the ignition case. If tagges as described, you're good to go!!!

iflywhenican 11-01-2005 04:17 PM

BTW - NEWS FLASH for BRISON owners..... Gary at Brison talked to me about recent changes from the supplied C&H Ignitions. If they are marked with a tag on the aluminum ignition housing that reads "Synchro Spark", THEY HAVE THE "advance module" BUILT IN..... This is important to know, as Kangke is totally clueless, and we all know the history of the external module.
IF you order a new Brison, it may likely arrive without the advance module.... if this happens be sure to check the ignition case. If tagges as described, you're good to go!!!

Bob...how far back does this go? I have a 3.2 on a Texas Hurricane that is almost a year old.

Bob Pastorello 11-01-2005 04:23 PM

dunno. Just talked to him today, and my impression was that it was pretty recent for the 2.4 and 3.2
Honestly couldn't say for the older one.... may have been exhausting inventory, who knows?

JPBIII 11-01-2005 05:56 PM

Is anybody flying this airplane with an OS 1.60? I looked through the posts and it seems that most people are using a gas engine.

iflywhenican 11-01-2005 07:38 PM

Bob...Let me know about the performance you get with the Brison 2.4 on your plane. I can hardly wait till you fly it.

iflywhenican 11-02-2005 07:49 PM

I was messing around with a piece of trailing edge this afternoon and slotted it for a CA hinge. Instead of using CA though, I put a VERY thin coat of Gorilla Glue on both sides of the hinge and inserted half of it into the slot. I gave it time to fully cure and then tried to pull the hinge out. I finally got it out, but destroyed the wood. The hinge came out with both surfaces of the wood that came into contact with the hinge. IMO there is no way this method would fail. You would have to be real carefull to clean any excess glue away before it sets up. Give it a try. Gorilla Glue won't stick to any surface that has been treated with WD-40.

scottfl78 11-02-2005 08:03 PM

I would think that Gorilla glue would work and maybe your test proves it.. As we know thin CA unfortunately can make a brittle hinge over time and the vibration from Gassers doesn't help.. I use Gorilla Glue on Robarts and it is great..

ternadorex 11-02-2005 08:30 PM

Anyone using the new saito 220 on this plane? thoughts?

codemanx 11-03-2005 01:09 PM

The real question is: IS anyone going to use an OS 160? If not, what is your opinion on that match up. I have a 160 sitting around and I would like to through it in this plane...

Let me know..

Thanks
Code

EXTRA ADDICT 11-03-2005 02:32 PM

ORIGINAL: codemanx

The real question is: IS anyone going to use an OS 160? If not, what is your opinion on that match up. I have a 160 sitting around and I would like to through it in this plane...

Let me know..

Thanks
Code
I think the OS 160 will fly the plane OK. The question is what type of flying do you plan to do? If it is mild aerobatics/3D it should be fine but if you are looking for unlimited performance I don't think the 160 will be enough. I would say the same about the Saito 220. If this plane weighs 12 1/2 pounds with the 160 it will be dry weight. Fill the 20oz tank with fuel and you will be looking at around 14 pounds AUW. My Extra 260 (Hangar 9) was 12 pounds 4 oz with the 160 and it flew good and would do some mild 3D but pull out from a hover wasn't there and that plane had alot less drag in the air than a bipe will. Just my 2 cents

iflywhenican 11-03-2005 03:23 PM

I just don't think I could stand to see an oily mess from a glow engine on this plane. [:'(]
Just my 2 cents also..

codemanx 11-04-2005 08:47 AM

Thanks for your info guys... I have ordered this plane and a DA.. Just for piece of mind,, I am going to start with the 160.. Lets see if the what Great Planes says is true.. I will have the plane by next week.. and I should have it in the air by Thanksgiving.. I will let you all know what I see.. However,, I will not attempt any low 3d until I am sure of the power to weight... Besides.. If this bipe comes in anywere close to the 12.5-13lb range.. The 160 should hover this ok just no pull out authority...

I will be back..

Code

affas 11-04-2005 08:55 AM

Anybody flying this Ultimate yet?

Behaviour and flying weight with empty tank?

Bob Pastorello 11-05-2005 10:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will motor run tomorrow, and test fly, wx permitting. And it is supposed to be great!

Attached a couple of pics of the 2.4 install, and the tail servos setup....guys, the tail wire thingy's are pretty cool, but you have to really be careful with them. Parts will go EVERYWHERE if you aren't super careful. These are close-fit, toleranced parts....but they seem to do the job.

The motor install looks pretty cluttered, and kinda "busy", I guess, but I just HAD to show of that beautiful motor before the cowl goes on.

BTW - The ply donuts and cowling installation method are the berries! VERY good, easy-to-do.... GP did this part right, too! You can't misalign the cowl following their instructions.

bubbagates 11-05-2005 10:32 PM

Yep, it does look "busy"

Have you tried to balance it yet???

I finally started on mine last night WOHOO :D[sm=bananahead.gif]

Bob Pastorello 11-05-2005 11:03 PM

Bill - you'll love the quality of this thing. Couple of items worth noting...
1. Alum rib will likely not be exactly right hole spacing for the dowels. The shape is perfect, so incidence will be fine, but on mine (and a friends'), the rear dowel interferes, so prepare to horizontally elongate the rear dowel hole in the alum rib for the top wing.
2. Definitely do the "melt/cut" method on all the cutouts. There are many that need doing, and the soldering iron makes a nice clean job of it.
3. I used the stock CA hinges, and the slots were all PERFECT on mine.
4. The interplane strut design, with the knurled nut on the 8-32 threaded rod is really very good. You may want to consider replacing the 1/8" wooden dowels in them with CF tubes. I did, anticipating that those will be a definite wear point.

Mine was nose heavy - duh - so the battery ended up under the cockpit floor. I built a little ply plate to anchor the velcro to. My 2700 mah NiMh 4 cell sits there just fine.

Ignition is a 4 cell 1650mah NiMh, ignition switch is up front, mounted at 10 o'clock on the firewall. Switch is actuated through a small hole in the cowling using a small screwdriver to slide it.

I am just SURE this will be a keeper, and a great completion to my stable/hangar. I'm done - 29% Giles for crazy 3D, 30% BME Yak for nice precision aerobatics, and the Ultimate for FUN (and 3D, and Precision).... Of course, I won't be buying anything for a LONG time.....

EXTRA ADDICT 11-05-2005 11:38 PM

Sounds good Aerobob give us a flight report!!!!:D

cstevec 11-06-2005 12:31 AM

Bob, Looks pretty good but I am curious, why didn't you mount the throttle servo up higher to do away with all of those bends in the linkage? I think, looking at your pictures, it would be more precise if the servo was mounted to your motor mount/standoffs so your pushrod was in line with the engines bellcrank. Just a thought, what you have may be just fine.

If that is your first Brison, you are in for a treat. I have 3 of 'em & they are excellent engines, & very reliable too.

Bob Pastorello 11-06-2005 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: cstevec

Bob, Looks pretty good but I am curious, why didn't you mount the throttle servo up higher to do away with all of those bends in the linkage? I think, looking at your pictures, it would be more precise if the servo was mounted to your motor mount/standoffs so your pushrod was in line with the engines bellcrank. Just a thought, what you have may be just fine.

If that is your first Brison, you are in for a treat. I have 3 of 'em & they are excellent engines, & very reliable too.
Have another Brison 2.4, VERY sweet engine, very reliable. Strange to break in from new with 80:1, and unexpected, but.... that's what the guy that FIXES them under warranty sez..

There was NO straight shot to the throttle arm available and still leave the servo accessible with cowl off. The bend is at an angle that is shallow enough to not give - I could have done it with no bend at all, but didn't want to side-preload the ball link.

Never mentioned to anyone - the standoffs are 3/4" hardwood, center drilled for 10-32, and ca-soaked for hardness. The four of them weigh 1.4 oz, so that's light enough to live with, and similar standoffs are working so far on the Giles w/ Brison.

Bob Pastorello 11-06-2005 06:12 AM

Well, boys 'n girls, it is finished. :D

Shiny, pretty, and new ..... and FAT

RTF weight, less fuel - 242.8 oz, 15.1 lbs. [:'(] [:'(]
(Edited 12/2/2005 to correct omission of wheel pants and interplane struts from ORIGINAL post)

So much for "12 - 13.5 lbs". If I'd gone glow, probably would have been in their target. So, my pre-flight prediction at this point is that it will be a SLUG with only the Brison 2.4 pulling.... I'm hoping I'm wrong, for sure, but 15.1 lbs is a LOT for a 2.4 to haul around.:eek::eek:

We shall see.