RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great planes ultimate 160 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3240915-great-planes-ultimate-160-a.html)

EXTRA ADDICT 01-22-2006 12:25 PM

RE: Great planes ultimate 160

Drumbum, I still get to fly it!!!:D Just kidding

Maudib 01-22-2006 12:26 PM

I'm sure you guys saw the BME 55 Sneek Peek right? FINALLY... this is supposed to be available in April... (I'd wager more like summer)

2.1 LBS without ignition!!!!!!

http://www.bmeengine.com/html/sneek55.htm

http://www.bmeengine.com/gfx/55/55pic2.jpg

bubbagates 01-22-2006 12:59 PM

Oh My...something like 3.25 to 3.5 lbs ready to fly with muffler, ignition and battery...even lighter depeneding on the muffler choices

thevirginian 01-22-2006 01:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Maudib; what you just posted about those Lipos is right on. I purchased four cells from BA and destroyed two of them attempting to solder them together. Those doggon tabs didn't break off the fell off[>:] I agree with you , the chemistry of Lipos is quite dangerous compared to Nicad or NMh. But these batteries have no competition when it comes to performance and weight. I pull them out of my planes at home for charging. I put them in a huge lobbster pod and don't worry about a fire hazzard. I charge them only when I am home. Here are a couple of pix for drumbum to show him my interior.

Maudib 01-22-2006 01:15 PM

You bet... a full lb ighter than the lightest 50's out there...

They WILL BE shipping with Falkon Ignitions... I wonder how that will work out.

The interesting thing is that this becomes a DIRECT weight replacement for all the 2.4 ci engines not to mention direct drop in replacement on Saito 2.20 and O.S. 1.60FX aircraft...

It comes in both side mount and rear mount carbs so the airframe can dictate what's best.

I sure hope someone comes out with a muffler similar to DA's stock 50 muffer... It's a little over 4 oz when the sack is cutdown and is sufficiently quieting but allows good power.

If we could get something like that...

33.6 oz engine
4 oz for ignition (guesstimate)
4.2 oz muffler
2.3 oz for 730 mah AAA Nimh
.5 oz ignition switch

44.6 oz

2.79 lbs!

The Saito 2.20 weighs 42 oz not including the 7 oz or so for Rail mounts. Plus you'll want 24 oz of glow fuel instaead of 16 oz for gas...

The O.S. 1.60FX with muffler is 41.5 oz so about the same as the Saito...

The BME 55 will be LIGHTER and MORE powerful (and a WHOLE lot cheaper to run)

With a 55 in the Ultimate... You'd be looking at 13.5-13.75 lbs! Unbelievable...

bubbagates 01-22-2006 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Maudib

With a 55 in the Ultimate... You'd be looking at 13.5-13.75 lbs! Unbelievable...

You could race NASA's next launch to orbit!!!

drumbum 01-22-2006 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: thevirginian

Maudib; what you just posted about those Lipos is right on. I purchased four cells from BA and destroyed two of them attempting to solder them together. Those doggon tabs didn't break off the fell off[>:] I agree with you , the chemistry of Lipos is quite dangerous compared to Nicad or NMh. But these batteries have no competition when it comes to performance and weight. I pull them out of my planes at home for charging. I put them in a huge lobbster pod and don't worry about a fire hazzard. I charge them only when I am home. Here are a couple of pix for drumbum to show him my interior.
nice thanks

cobia 01-22-2006 08:22 PM

Maudib do you think A ZDZ 40 would fly the ULTI well do you recall length from firewall to back of spinner.

Maudib 01-22-2006 09:45 PM

The ZDZ 40 is a powerful little 40 and would do pretty decently... it's a little lighter still yet than the Fuji if I recall. The suggested distance is 7.25".

Good news is that there is coming a NEW ZDZ 40RE (rear exhaust) that is only 2.4 lbs!!!! There is a nice inv. pitts available for the RE too...

I'm full of new surprises lately... :)

ORIGINAL: cobia

Maudib do you think A ZDZ 40 would fly the ULTI well do you recall length from firewall to back of spinner.

drumbum 01-22-2006 09:59 PM

after thinking about it.. if BME can come up wit a 55 CC motor thats as light as that then they can come up with a motor as light and as powerfull as a YS-110 in the same class... IM sure they would be selling so many of those that they would be like YS.. by not being able to keep it in stock ,, I know i would be buying at least 4 of them on my first order;).. im calling BME and preordering the 55 for my YAK that i robbed the 50 for for my ultimate...

yea you can fly it Extra Addict:D I finally got a dialup account since waiting for my broadband has been a adventrous experience

Maudib 01-22-2006 10:05 PM

Funny you should mention that as he released a SuperTIgre .90 converted to gas

http://www.bmeengine.com/html/point90.htm

He states that it is MORE powerful than the same engine on glow... hard to believe but that's the claim. ALso states that you need a LTO less fuel on takeoff so weight is about the same overall....

I rather imagine if this sells well we'll see other SuperTigre glow conversions... They have the G-2300 a 1.4+ci maybe that would prove as powerful too... :)

ORIGINAL: drumbum

after thinking about it.. if BME can come up wit a 55 CC motor thats as light as that then they can come up with a motor as light and as powerfull as a YS-110 in the same class... IM sure they would be selling so many of those that they would be like YS.. by not being able to keep it in stock ,, I know i would be buying at least 4 of them on my first order;).. im calling BME and preordering the 55 for my YAK that i robbed the 50 for for my ultimate...

yea you can fly it Extra Addict:D I finally got a dialup account since waiting for my broadband has been a adventrous experience

drumbum 01-22-2006 10:12 PM

NOW THAT IS NICE!!!!! im gonna try one...

now you ae going to tell me where i can get a free checking account with 120% interest and a new car to drive every 6 months right:D

Maudib 01-22-2006 10:25 PM

Sure steal my Thunder! :)

Now announcing FREE.... nevermind....

ORIGINAL: drumbum

NOW THAT IS NICE!!!!! im gonna try one...

now you ae going to tell me where i can get a free checking account with 120% interest and a new car to drive every 6 months right:D

cobia 01-22-2006 10:30 PM

7.25 works out great forZDZ40 would not need to cut firewall the 40 flys my H9 xtra great hovers just under 1/2 throttle at 14 lbs should hover an Ulti at half I think I will get me one next week.

Slyder 01-24-2006 06:36 PM

How well is the tailwheel working? Would it be feasible to use something like the graph tech?

thanks

Maudib 01-24-2006 06:43 PM

I really think it will be fine, but only time will tell overall. Mostly any of the popular tailwheels will work well, inclduing Chip Hyde's small tailwheel...

Central hobbies carries this type:

http://www.centralhobbies.com/landin...tailwheel.html

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Images/Wheels/tw-1.gif

ORIGINAL: Slyder

How well is the tailwheel working? Would it be feasible to use something like the graph tech?

thanks

jeyre 01-25-2006 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used Ohio Superstar Products tailwheel. I had to build up the plate in the tail a little bit but it was easy.

you can find these at chiefaircraft.com

eness76-RCU 01-25-2006 05:46 PM

I used the stock tailwheel but shortened the length to the anchor point in the bottom of the rudder and it's worked great, positive steering in high grass.

Slyder 01-25-2006 06:45 PM

Did I read right that they fixed the weak gear? Also is there enough clearance for a 23" prop?

Thanks again.

iflywhenican 01-25-2006 06:54 PM

The "fixed" gear was a replacement of the exact same fiberglass gearset that was shipped in the kit. My definition of a fix would be a aluminum gear replacement. So far, other than a little chipping on the left gear leg, mine is holding up just fine though.

JustPlaneCrazy3D 01-26-2006 12:36 PM

I've looked through this entire post and did not see too much mentioned about using a Moki 2.10 for the engine and what kind of performance the plane would have using it.

I am thinking about using a Moki 2.10

I personally think it would be a good engine choice, I was hoping for some other input on this question.

Thanks !

Maudib 01-26-2006 12:59 PM

If glow is your goal, then the 2.1 would be the epitome I'd wager. I;m sure the 1.6 would fly it like the 43cc Fuji does... so I rather imagine the 2.1 would be much like having a 50cc on her... real nice... :)

JustPlaneCrazy3D 01-26-2006 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Maudib

If glow is your goal, then the 2.1 would be the epitome I'd wager. I;m sure the 1.6 would fly it like the 43cc Fuji does... so I rather imagine the 2.1 would be much like having a 50cc on her... real nice... :)
Well glow is really not my goal, but I do have a Moki 2.10 laying around gathering dust.
I know the biggest drawback to glow would be fuel cost.

Sounds like the Moki 2.10 would have enough power though.

Thanks !

bubbagates 01-26-2006 02:44 PM

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

The "fixed" gear was a replacement of the exact same fiberglass gearset that was shipped in the kit. My definition of a fix would be a aluminum gear replacement. So far, other than a little chipping on the left gear leg, mine is holding up just fine though.
Yep, the set I got from Aerobob has lived through quite a few landings now, so it really does appear that I had a bad couple of sets. I did hear back from GP 2 days ago and they are not doing anything :eek:.

bubbagates 01-26-2006 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: eness76-RCU

I used the stock tailwheel but shortened the length to the anchor point in the bottom of the rudder and it's worked great, positive steering in high grass.
I also used the stock gear but added a little bigger/better wheel as the foam one final flatspotted after sitting on it for about 2 weeks and have had no problems at all on grass. This plane really is one of the few that does not need allot of changes. The stock stuff is nice and works well enough.