RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3971535-quique-somenzini-yak-54s-73%22.html)

beausol 05-06-2006 06:40 AM

RE: Quique Somenzini YAK-54S 73"

Received mine yesterday. Have a new Saito 180 ready, but I don't know what prop yet.

Suggestions?

I'm mostly a scale acro guy, who wants to get into a little hovering, etc. In other words, I won't spend the whole flight with the tail 2 feet off the ground (or less :D).....but the occaisional hover or harrier would be cool.

It may be mid-June before she's ready....bought a new house and will be moving in 2 weeks, so there's a lot of work to do, including building a new workbench so I can work on this plane!

I'll use JR Sport ST125MG servos all around with a Futaba 3004 on the throttle. At 125 oz-in at 4.8V and about 145 oz-in at 6V, they should do just fine. I'll probably start out at 4.8V since I have a lot of those lying around, but will move to 6V soon to get the better servo torque and speed.

It's been a while since I have read this thread, and MAN did it explode! Cool. But I haven't had the chance to catch up.

Anyone fly with a Saito 180 yet?

Thanks!

--Rich

xxsnookxx 05-06-2006 01:18 PM

what batteries do you guys think would be lightest and best for this plane i have 5 8411sa and a 3241sa for throttle evo 26gt i need two batts. ignition and radio what would be the best combo of batts. li-ion-li-poly-nimh?dont want to have to recharge at the field our club has no power..light but long lasting any ideas not my area of expertise...thnx

randy racer 05-06-2006 03:27 PM

i use only Fromeco's. use 2 2400 packs with reg's and fly all day with out charging and they will only weigh 8.6 oz for both batterys and regs. fromeco also is a great company with great service.

randy

EMVIN 05-06-2006 09:17 PM

Beausol, I just changed my Saito 220 down to a 180. There were issues with the 220 so its going to horizon for repair... On the 180 I use a Pro Zinger 18X6 and get about 8500-9000rpm on 30% Cool Power. I Flew it once today with the saito 180 and it was more than enough power...Very Nice!! . Great uplines, it hovered with ease and once again it landed beautifuly.....This Yak seems to just float in at a very comfortable sink rate and touch down is very soft. It makes for a nice ending :) Unfortionately we began to get high wing gusts (25mph) so that was it for today.....EMVIN....

yarom 05-07-2006 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

While the fromeco stuff is nice hardware (and great service - I agree) it's a bit of an overkill for a plane this size. So is the use of 8411s. I know Quique uses them in the instructions, but he is sponsored by Horizon and gets them for free. Using such powerful and power hungry servos will require better batteries with more capacity. I use these servos and the Fromeco gear in 30% planes such as the Lanier 87'" Extra.

The truth is you can absolutely fly this plane with lesser servos from Hitec or JR on elevators (two servos) and ailerons. So 8231s or 4131s or 8101s would be totaly fine for this application. Rudder would require a slightly stronger servo.

Unfortunately, all I had left were 8311s and that is what I used - I apologize for that.

If you are using two batteries plugged to the receiver and/or through a Battshare type module, you can be absolutely fine with a couple of 1400Mah packs, be it NiCads or anything else.

I chose for weight reasons to use a 7.4v 2100 LiPo through a small switching regulator, sitting exactly on the CG. Seems to work fine and still provides for several full flights. I also use a JR matchbox for the elevators.

xxsnookxx 05-07-2006 04:44 PM

8.6 oz for two batts and regs. sound light is there any thing lighter as powerful and reliable? after looking up fromeco nothing but good words..trying to shave weight for the gasser...i think the 8411sa is a good choice and the 3241 for throttle 1 oz. lighter...i want everthing top shelf on this one....

randy racer 05-07-2006 09:32 PM

2400 fromeco's and reg = 4.3 oz and will fly all day on my 72" with 4 8611a's and 1 4735 on throttle. i'm running a OS 160 so i only use 1 elevator servo to save $ and tail weight. this is way to nice a plane to go cheap, but it will fly nice with less. always use the best servos you can afford. it will save $$ in the long run.

randy racer

EMVIN 05-07-2006 09:51 PM

A few pix....getting ready at the field.......

EMVIN 05-07-2006 09:55 PM

For some reason the network will not complete this download

EMVIN 05-07-2006 09:58 PM

These pix are very high resolution so they wont be accepted.........Sorry...........Later

bfreee 05-07-2006 11:56 PM

I just got mine running with a saito 180 w/18x6w. Awesome power. I was having some issues with getting the engine running right, mostly my own fault. I took it easy on it today as this was my 2nd & 3rd flights & the first with the engine running reliably. It will harrier at just over an idle. Didn't try any Hovers yet, but suspect less than half throttle. I also noticed that the plane will practically land itself. I cg-ed at the preferred setting & the plane really flies nice. I didn't have to put a single click of aileron trim in the plane. One or two up elevator, never had a plane this true out the gate. Hope to fly more tomorrow.

randy racer 05-08-2006 06:32 AM

thats great bfreee, i've been having so much fun flying the 72 i haven't finished the 73. sounds like i need to get to work.

randy racer

bfreee 05-08-2006 03:11 PM

Good to hear the 72 is still in one piece. Take your time when you can, you'll always have a better plane. I also was wondering if the 72 has the small square balsa pieces that round out the bottom of the plane in front of the the landing gear? Might be behind. Anyway, I've accidently broken most of mine using my plane stand while building and repairing. They are not very strong & now I dont use the stand. I work off of the landing gear now. Watch these strips guys.

EMVIN 05-08-2006 03:17 PM

Befree, the same thing happened to me......I just recieved a roll of yellow Ultra Coat and will be peforming surgery tonight....

bfreee 05-08-2006 04:41 PM

Mine are just cracked & if you are carefull you should be able to just hold them in place & hit them with thin ca. I think I'm going to reinforce them with a piece of balsa sheet.

mr.bigal 05-09-2006 12:17 AM

I love big pies. Any body know some good place were i can get some pies.HALA pie lovers out there. these one time at band camp they gave me pie and i just cant stop tinking about i love pie so can some one get me a number were i can get some good pie.Also Im very big on spam i love spam in a cane. I enjoy a good cup o joe in the morning. Im youre typical sunday flyer how just whants to have some fun with the boy's on sunday.:D curently im building a 350" yak54 with a 500cc engine.I love showing off to my friends at the field i enjoy good long walks on the beach. well i got"S to go now got to go fead my lama. tonight im going to the party to have a real good time.i enjoy a good cup of joe when iwake up so if any one out there whants to have a good time call me you know my #.DONT BE HATEN

EMVIN 05-09-2006 07:00 AM

What was that????????????????????????????

Always flying 05-09-2006 07:43 AM

No kidding.....?????????

Maudib 05-09-2006 08:20 AM

He got his RC and online dating windows crossed...

bfreee 05-09-2006 11:48 AM

Maud,

If you noticed this is the second or third post he has made. Not so sure about this one. Here I've been waiting for someone to post something new & we get this.
Emvin, was it you who broke off his landing gear? I was wondering how hard a hit it took to break them off. I've sometimesused nylon screws for this reason. I like strong gear mounting. That's one thing I have to compliment my Funtana 90 on. Ive all but broke the steel screws & the bottom of the plane has held. What's your take on that & how did the repair go?

R/C Foolish 05-09-2006 01:15 PM

Has anybody flown this plane with a G-26? I have a Ralph Cunningham EI converted motor looking for a home. I also need a YAK for my fleet.

R/C Foolish

EMVIN 05-09-2006 01:23 PM

Bfree, Yeah it was me. Nylon screws might be a good Idea.....The block tore completely out of the fuse.....Easy fix no problem and is as good as new.....It was a pretty hard hit. The prop broke on take off (not enough ground clearance) and the landing gear took the brunt of it..... I just ordered new pants and L gear..I hate to see cracked up parts on a new plane...

bfreee 05-09-2006 07:57 PM

Guys, can you please help!

I'm about ready to swear off large glow engines. I took my yak with 180 saitio out tonight. Made several flights, everytime I try to keep the nose up for any long time, the engine goes lean. Runs fine straight, down lines, rolls, & brief uplines. try to hover & ask for more than 1/3 rd throttle & the engine leans out. tried to ritchen it up but we cannot get enough. We have large fuel tubing on the engine. Large clunk, ect. have the tank in the recommended position. Do I need a pump?, Also am running Pitts muffler on inverted engine. I've tried the usual stuff, I need some hardcore help. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Engine idles great, runs fine until you get the nose up and ask for alot of fuel. We also ran the fuel low & tried holding the plane physically nose up & then again with full tank, it made little if any difference.

Thanks, Bruce

xxsnookxx 05-09-2006 08:19 PM

sound like a pump may do it...

EMVIN 05-09-2006 08:40 PM

bfreee, I have the Perry VP-30 set up although I do not have it on line. was waiting to see if that problem would arise with mine. Its a bit more tuning to do and I will need to rely on some of the more experienced engine guys at my club to get it set right. But, so far it seems OK without it...I'm using the Saito 180 as well......Here is a link to a Saito engine site with some helpful information on pumps and regulators....

http://saito-engines.info/pumps.html ............EMVIN.........