RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Peak Models 84" edge (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/5245088-peak-models-84%22-edge.html)

freebird1 01-10-2007 08:56 PM

Peak Models 84" edge

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all

I bought the peak 26cc and edge combo and love it. I was looking at their site and saw a new 84" edge. The specs on the edge look really good to me. I have a new 40cc that I also bought from them a while back. My 40cc needed a home so I bought it. They only had 2 left so I was hoping that someone else has built and flew one. What do you think? I think it should be a good bird. If you have one what was the hardware and covering. If no one has built or flew one, when I start the build I will post my build and a flight report. I am hopeing to come in at somewhere around 14LB, but no why to tell until I get it and weight the bird, engine, and the rest of it.

Thanks freebird

Specs

WING SPAN:84"(2140mm)
LENGTH:80-1/4"(2040mm)
WING AREA:1457sq in(94sq dm)
WEIGHT:13.6-15.4lbs(6200-7000g)
ENGINEļ¼š40-50cc gas

XJet 01-10-2007 10:58 PM

RE: Peak Models 84" edge

Hey, I'd be a subscriber to that thread, I'd love to know how good they are and how well they fly.

freebird1 01-11-2007 12:10 AM

One thing that sold me on this edge is the huge control surface, I mean huge. Take a close look at the tail. The El. and Rud is 2/3 control surface. The tail is lifting with a airfoil too which is a +. I am thinking I may need to beef it up some here. If I have figured right the wing load is only 22 Oz per squre foot at 14Lb. Now I am getting anxious. I will post some photos as soon as it arrives.

Flatspin-RCU 01-12-2007 07:25 PM

Freebird...looks good...I just ordered the Peak26cc motor today..couldn't afford the combo but liked what I saw in their vidio...How do you think this motor would work in a Showtime? I have a OS108 in it now and it flys great but hovering is a bit of a challange...with the rear carb of the Peak26 I think it will fit into the cowl with some mods on the motor box. whattaya think?

Ron

freebird1 01-12-2007 09:36 PM

Hi

I saw the Showtime with a SPE 26cc. The owner was having some glitching problems with his Fm RX and went ahead a flew it. I repeatedly told him not to fly it and get a PCM RX. He had a crazy ride after 2 min when he got it some distance from the radio. It was flying like it was going to be a really good bird, but it was his first gasser and it scared him, so a fellow member bought it from him and got a PCM RX. He is having no problems now and loves it. I compare the power close to a 150 Saito. I think you should love it. One think you MUST DO is have a PCM RX. This is one think that will save you lot of trouble, but is not fool proof. Also check your sensor and make sure you do not have it to close to the shaft. It could rub and short it.

Good Luck!

Flatspin-RCU 01-13-2007 08:12 PM

Thanks Freebird...I have a GP Yak with a Brison 3.2 and was having glitching problems last summer but I bought a new Spectrum DX7 2.4ghz radio and put in it...also have a Extra with the AR7000 rx but haven't tried them yet...waiting for weather which mite be awhile now in MI...I'll also be running DX7 in the Showtime...thanks for the info...happy fllyin

Ron

freebird1 01-14-2007 11:24 AM

Flatspin, IMO the SPE 26cc does the best with a good 16x8 prop. I am getting over 8000 with a master air 16x8. good luck!!

Rcpilot 01-14-2007 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: freebird1

Hi

I saw the Showtime with a SPE 26cc. The owner was having some glitching problems with his Fm RX and went ahead a flew it. I repeatedly told him not to fly it and get a PCM RX. He had a crazy ride after 2 min when he got it some distance from the radio. It was flying like it was going to be a really good bird, but it was his first gasser and it scared him, so a fellow member bought it from him and got a PCM RX. He is having no problems now and loves it. I compare the power close to a 150 Saito. I think you should love it. One think you MUST DO is have a PCM RX. This is one think that will save you lot of trouble, but is not fool proof. Also check your sensor and make sure you do not have it to close to the shaft. It could rub and short it.

Good Luck!
Thats not quite the accepted way of getting rid of a radio glitch problem. It might work for awhile, but it's gonna burn you eventually. And not how you think. ;)

If you use a regular FM (PPM) receiver for your ground and range checks, you WILL find any glitches or RFI interference present. Thats a good thing. The PPM RX won't hide any problems you may be encountering. If you encounter problems, as your friend did, then you look at the airplane and you find whats wrong with it. Figure out WHERE your interference is coming from.

Now the kicker:
You FIX it.

Then you ground check it again with your PPM RX and when you get it all rock solid and steady--THATS when you switch to the PCM RX.

Using the PCM RX doesn't "fix" the problem. It HIDES it. All the PCM RX does is cover up the problem by going into lockout. [X(] And while the RFI problem might only be slight right now, eventually, that PCM will get a real good glitch and it'll lock out on you for a couple seconds.

Whats your friend gonna do when that sucker locks out on him during a blender or a low harrier? He's gonna crash. :(

Good luck. Hope this helps.

freebird1 01-14-2007 12:29 PM

OK, you do have a point, but the engine in question any and everything was tried.

2 bat
3 RX
2 switches
2 CDI
6 Ext.
4 crystals
use copper wire
2 new plug wires one was a DA
3 spark plugs all were RES.

This is off the top of my head of all the things we tried to fix the problem. We aranged the plane EL in every mashion you can think of. Still Glitching. Installed a Pcm and walked 100 yards with no glitching. So, he was faced with a question, throw the engine away or fly it with the PCM. Been flying it for a year now with no problems. You are right, but sometimes there are things we just can not explane. Still to this day I can not fig. what the deal was, but I say if it works go for it. Yes someday it may glitch, but I have never seen a lock out on any bird. If in fact it does glitch it may crash it, but that is his call and he knows it.

FlooredCOBRA 01-14-2007 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: freebird1

throw the engine away or fly it with the PCM
Ouch! Throw it away? what you meant to say was sell or try the engine in another plane or fly it with a PCM right?

:D

freebird1 01-16-2007 11:47 AM

Well, kinda that. It was tried it a showtime and a edge, with the same problem. The person that bought it, sold it, to a member at a really low price. The friend of ours knew the problem with it. The person that bought it is a super person and wanted the buyer to know the problems that came with it. I helped him with the engine and for the life of me we (5 others) could not get it to stop glitching. I told him he most likely could install a pcm and it would stop glithcing. Yes, it is a bandaid fix and the problem remains. He knew it was a bandaid fix and I told him it was his call after we range tested it. He elected to fly it. It may bite him someday, but he had $150 invested and the other had $300. Can't just throw it away.

Now, IMO on the CDI a PCM is a must. They are more likly to glitch than a Mag unit.

The Edge should arrive by Friday, can not wait!!!!!!

freebird1 01-23-2007 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I got the wing set today. I tracked the other package and it is on its way. very large package so it was delayed in customs. The package was very well protected and arived with no damage. I have posted a photo of the package.

freebird1 01-23-2007 11:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The wing set looks super. I went to the local hobby shop to get some pin hings, but to my suprize the plane has then. They look to be robart super points. The covering is very very nice and can not find any damages. Everything seems really tight. As I thought the controls are huge. This one is going to dance.

freebird1 01-23-2007 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some more!

freebird1 01-24-2007 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I got the rest of the edge today and am very happy with it so far. If anyone is thinking of gettiing this plane I did the weight on it and this is the results on my scales.

Hardware 7 oz
fuel tank, wheels, and pants 7 1/2oz
wings 2 Ibs
Horz stab 6oz
wing tubs 6 1/2 oz
fuse 2Lbs and 12 oz
landing gear 9 oz
cowl 7oz
canopy 6oz

TOTAL=is around 7Lbs 8 OZ and should easyly come in under 15LBS

Very nice looking and the deck has 4 magnet and 2 hatch locks. Everything seems flush and tight. It is very similar to the 73" peck edge that comes in combos.

freebird1 01-24-2007 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hang in there with me my files where to large. Here is the whole bird.

freebird1 01-24-2007 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, some of the inside of the egde!

freebird1 01-24-2007 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally, a photo of the engine box. Tomorrow I am planning on mounting my engine.

BTerry 01-24-2007 11:02 PM

That plane looks very nice, Freebird. I bet it will fly great!

There was a post on flyinggiants.com talking about this plane. The pilot said it was very nice.

freebird1 01-25-2007 10:16 AM

Thanks BTerry, I will have to give that a look.

BTerry 01-26-2007 08:32 AM

Here is the link to the plane. He says it is manufactured by "ARF Models", so search for that instead of "Peakmodel". [link=http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg71/7219-arf-models-50cc-edge-540-check-out.html]CLICK HERE[/link]

freebird1 01-26-2007 10:10 AM

Thanks for the reply. I read the post and the guy stated that he was 3Ding it on the test flight. He was very happy and lots of post on flyers trying to get one. he had a DA 50, I installed a 40[&o] because I have it. It is going together very fast. Ordering servos and some other things which will stall me a bit.

BTerry 01-26-2007 10:03 PM

He also said it weighed 14.3 lbs with the DA50. Yours should fly great with a 40cc engine. I am watching this with great interest, because this plane looks like a great deal for the price.

BTerry 01-26-2007 10:07 PM

Could you please measure the actual dimensions of the wing? The website states it has a 1457 in^2 wing area, and I just want to verify that. If it has that large of a wing with that light of a weight, it should be a monster!

For reference, my Wild Hare Giles has about 1450 in^2 area and weighs 22.5#...

freebird1 01-27-2007 12:32 AM

I had a KMP 50cc edge on the bench and I pushed it over to the side when I saw this one. At A look I will say the area is there for sure, but I will measure it to be sure. It is much biger than the photos look. I weighted the plane and found it under 8Lbs so should be very very light. I will post wing area tomorrow. It is going together very fast as I have one of the 26cc Edge. Very same build. I beefed up the firewall and the landing gear, but I think it would have been fine. BTerry, if you have any questions I will try my best to answer them.

Freebird