RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   what is best gyro for 3d (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/7333374-what-best-gyro-3d.html)

nappy99 04-04-2008 04:11 PM

what is best gyro for 3d

What is best gyro for 3D flying, and who sells it ? I read lots about gyros, good and bad, anyone use a gyro for 3D ?

Turd 04-04-2008 05:21 PM

RE: what is best gyro for 3d

anyone use a gyro for 3D --------------no then i would not be 3D LLB

Taildragger726 04-04-2008 05:26 PM

I always liked the Futaba gyros,,, but only on the throttle. Yeah, throttle gyros rule!!!

Daniel Z 04-04-2008 08:56 PM

get a foamy, 3d it into pieces, then go for larger planes... that`s cheaper, funnier and it is not cheating!

Gulliver 04-05-2008 02:59 PM

Remember, 3D is more than hovering. A gyro would pobably be contra indaicated for the rest of the maneuvers

KWJ48 04-05-2008 05:21 PM

The only gyro I have seen in a plane, is the one in the yak on the realflight sim. It makes it tooooo easy to hover. So whats the point ? Where's the challenge? Forget the gyro. Practice is the key.

Fearless Flyer 04-05-2008 10:28 PM

The only gyro I use it my thumbs......

3DAP 04-08-2008 11:52 PM

Ditto on the thumbs Gyro!!!!!!!! Gyro's are for copter's. I have seen only one at the field. It was in a Hanger 9 Edge. It was last seen in a ground plant. It went in and the Gyro got blamed for (locking up)??

Gatorb8 04-09-2008 06:36 AM

Nappy
There is a secret society of gyro users. If you pass the background check, you will be contacted.
This message will self-destroy in 3 seconds...
Lizard

kid chuckles 04-09-2008 07:16 AM

A friend of mine has a couple gyros on his Showtime 90 size and can just about lay the radio down when he goes into a hover. Other times the plane is constantly trying to correct itself. He loves hates them. And says he will be pulling them out. Hard to fly with them. I think his are Futaba's also. Just know what they will not let you do and be aware. They scare me lol.

jsenicka 04-09-2008 11:21 AM

I have a Funtana 40 with 3 Futaba GY401 HH gyros and super fast digitals all around. The secret is knowing the the gyros are only useful in certain maneuvers and attitudes and being able to get them out of the way at other times. I have a 2 position switch that selects either 50% gain HH mode, or 10% gain rate mode. Unless you want the gyros to try to hold a specific attitude, you must get it out of HH mode!

It is awesome in hover, or other very high alpha maneuver. If you fall out of that attitude due to low power settings, HH is not longer your friend, as it will try to get the airplane back to that attitude. My Funtana 40 is airframe number 2 after the first one snapped to the ground trying to re-establish a hover after a flame out...... I have sense learned the beauty of 10% rate mode.

agexpert 04-09-2008 11:55 PM

GYRO'S and 3D don't mix in airplanes.....period. 3D'rs have been accused of using gyros for years. A few may use them, but I have never seen it. Try a foamie.

gusgonzalez 12-19-2010 12:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Gatorb8

Nappy
There is a secret society of gyro users. If you pass the background check, you will be contacted.
This message will self-destroy in 3 seconds...
Lizard

Nice Gator.

What's 3D anyway?...;)

sensei 12-20-2010 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: nappy99

What is best gyro for 3D flying, and who sells it ? I read lots about gyros, good and bad, anyone use a gyro for 3D ?
The best gyro is the one between your ears...;)

Bob

Jezmo 12-20-2010 02:08 PM

Well said Bob.

rcflip 12-22-2010 03:19 AM

3d with a gyro is still 3d... it may be cheating but it is still 3d...

KWJ48 12-22-2010 02:17 PM

ORIGINAL: rcflip

3d with a gyro is still 3d... it may be cheating but it is still 3d...
That's like saying,, I got an A on a test,,, I cheated, but I still got an A.

Who are you really cheating? You're not working for what you want. You're just taking the easy way out.

opjose 12-22-2010 02:55 PM

It's actually an interesting question...

One of the more recent RC publications had an article about putting gyros in for yaw control in windy conditions for smaller planes.

They guy was using a heading hold gyro, but it would seem to me that a rate only gyro would be a much better solution.

He advocated turning the gyro off after takeoff and only turning it on again once lined up, to prevent the plane from trying to "lock" into an attitude during a turn.

KWJ48 12-22-2010 03:03 PM

I can understand maybe using one on a squirrly ground handling plane, but a properly set up, already proven 3d plane, there is no need.

Time and practice. ;)

opjose 12-23-2010 09:08 AM

I guess the question does not belong in the 3D area... but I'm still curious about which type of Gyro would be better if you are attempting to cure the idiosyncracies of certain tail draggers.

Rate or Heading Hold?

BarracudaHockey 12-23-2010 09:14 AM

You can't fly a plane around in heading hold.

Lots of guys are using it because it holds better during take off rolls but turning it off right away. It works a lot better in that application than rate mode IF and ONLY IF you can train your thumb not to give right rudder during the takeoff run :)

ircfly 01-09-2011 04:10 PM

Why not use a gyro if it will help make some pos fly like a more expensive plane? I have only just started tinkering with gyros in planes. It seems to me that the rudder is the main place to put one. It would help in multiple flight modes besides hovering. Wing rock is is a slight yaw instability and in theory a gyro should make that go away. My Yak swerves to the right when powering into a hover from an elevator. Again a gyro should take care of that. I did not get much chance to experiment prior to winter setting in but so far I have figured out that 1) use HH not HL 2) limit the the throw the gyro can use. That is very different from limiting throw available to your thumb. 3) Keep the gain low. I was down in the 25% range before it got cold and I feel I was starting to get close.

Rocketman_ 01-10-2011 06:37 AM

Very good. Keep working with it, experimentation is good. This used to be a hobby of experimenters.