RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   GP .60 Reactor Bibe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/8808381-gp-60-reactor-bibe.html)

Cody-RCU 06-30-2009 01:28 PM

RE: GP .60 Reactor Bibe

Awesome, can't wait for a video. I like fast roll rates.

fanoffive0 06-30-2009 08:51 PM

It looks great. Can't wait for the video. I also have one that is almost done. What exponential setting are you using?

Thanks...

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-01-2009 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: fanoffive0

It looks great. Can't wait for the video. I also have one that is almost done. What exponential setting are you using?

Thanks...
Ailerons I don't run dual rates they are just on high all the time with 60% Expo. Elevator L 30% H 45%. Rudder L 45% H 60%

One thing that takes a bit to get use to is landing. It is very easy but happens much quicker than you might expect. The airframe bleeds off speed really quick so you can come in hauling and with just a little slip it sits right down. Also the ground handling is awesome. Rough grass with the wheel pants on is no problem at all. The .91 pulls it very good. I test flew on a 97 degree 78% humidity day and it was decent. Yesterday was 70 Degrees and yes there was a notable power increase. If you live where it gets really hot and high density altitude is a problem more ponys will be needed. The new OS 1.10 four stroke seems like a great fit.
Has anyone tried one of those engines?
Jason

fanoffive0 07-01-2009 01:58 PM

I put a Saito 100 in mine. I should be done with it in a week or so.

TruBlu02 07-01-2009 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Jason 3-Danhakl
......One thing that takes a bit to get use to is landing. It is very easy but happens much quicker than you might expect. The airframe bleeds off speed really quick so you can come in hauling and with just a little slip it sits right down......

Plane looks great! I found this part of your post to be interesting. I have the Reactor .46 with Saito .82 power and it does the same exact thing. I love starting an approach to high and fast, then pulling power and adding some up elevator to maintain some wing in the wind. It will make one of the prettiest steep approaches of any plane I have flown. Normal appraoches are best flown with a couple clicks up on the throttle. Mine will almost land itself! It is cool to see the good traits of the Reactor translate so well to different airframes!

Cody-RCU 07-03-2009 09:14 AM

3 words:

Vid

Ee

Oh

:D

150flyer 07-05-2009 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Built mine last week and have about eight flights so far. I agree the roll rate it super-charged (about four rolls per second on high rate). There is a huge range for the recommended CG. Right now, I am in the middle of the range and the plane handles much better than my original full forward range. I will continue to shift the CG aft until I no longer care for the flight characteristics.

The engine is an OS .75 AX. It has great vertical and pulls out of a hoover easily. I still have a few more flights before I lean the engine for full power but for now I'm extremely happy with this engine for this plane.

The other Reactor in the picture with two is a friends who mounted a Zenoa G20 with a 17 inch prop. It flys a little heavier but has impressive speed and vertical climb-out.

fanoffive0 07-05-2009 08:20 PM

Have many people at the field asked "What Type of Plane Is That"?

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-07-2009 02:09 PM

Well I did a flying video for Great Planes and they have it posted now at this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf7Fb...e=channel_page

Note the Prop listed is incorrect. It is an APC 15x6 not a 15x16! Man that would haul if the engine didn't over heat taxing out! Anyway this is my personal model that was featured in this thread. I am really enjoying the model and hope this info helps everyone see some of the models potential. Please let me know your thoughts. That old .91 is pulling strong! One other thing to note is the wind was gusting to 15 during the video shoot.
Jason

WMB 07-07-2009 10:11 PM

I'M NOT WORTHY!!
NICE flying! Thanks for the video.

150flyer 07-07-2009 10:14 PM

Jason, how far back is your CG in that video? Are you at the full recommended aft?

150flyer

wind junkie 07-07-2009 10:54 PM

Very nice flying Jason. Something about that bird reminds me of the old Top Flite Hot Kanary I have hanging in the rafters.

I've got way too many projects this summer, but now you have me wondering if those 48" wings will fit assembled in my car!

Great job. [sm=thumbup.gif]

gr8taz nitro 07-07-2009 11:27 PM

Nice flight Jason. I'm sure gonna miss seeing you fly the u-can-do with the heli motor on it though. It sure doesn' look like it suffers in the vertical.:)
I'm gonna have to wait awhile to try one though. I picked up a 500 size helicopter and blew my rat-hole fund.[&o]

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-08-2009 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: 150flyer

Jason, how far back is your CG in that video? Are you at the full recommended aft?

150flyer
Hate to say this but I have no idea where the CG is. I never measured it or moved the CG from the test flight. The 2100 2s rx pack is mounted right under the canopy on the factory battery tray. When flying along at 1/2 power inverted it requires slight stick pressure to stay level. The CG range on the smaller electric version is fairly wide so I'm sure it is on this one also.
Jason

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-08-2009 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: wind junkie

Very nice flying Jason. Something about that bird reminds me of the old Top Flite Hot Kanary I have hanging in the rafters.

I've got way too many projects this summer, but now you have me wondering if those 48'' wings will fit assembled in my car!

Great job. [sm=thumbup.gif]
You know it has been a really long time since I've seen a Hot Kanary bibe. I guess there are some aspects that make this look like one. I can tell you it flies a tad better than the Kanary! You know with some mods the Kanary would be up to todays standard.

I am able to put the Reactor Bibe in the cab of a Quad cab F-150 assembled. Once the airplane is in a standard size field box and TX case has plenty of room with it. The fuse length is where you might have trouble with the airplane assembled.

Jason 3-Danhakl 07-08-2009 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: gr8taz nitro

Nice flight Jason. I'm sure gonna miss seeing you fly the u-can-do with the heli motor on it though. It sure doesn' look like it suffers in the vertical.:)
I'm gonna have to wait awhile to try one though. I picked up a 500 size helicopter and blew my rat-hole fund.[&o]
Roy,
Be sure and buy plenty of thread locker! The .91 has good vertical but nothing like the hot rod U-Can-Do with Hyper .50. That airplane died at a night fly doing blenders! I still have all the servos and engine. You never know I might order another one. You know for stress relief!
Are you going to the Tulsa Heatwave? I will be there sweating it out.
Jason

wind junkie 07-08-2009 09:21 PM

I am able to put the Reactor Bibe in the cab of a Quad cab F-150 assembled. Once the airplane is in a standard size field box and TX case has plenty of room with it. The fuse length is where you might have trouble with the airplane assembled.
Thanks for the tip. Next time I see one, I'll be sure to ask the owner if I can borrow it long enough to check the fit in my car. I'll probably have to leave my keys with him! ;)

gr8taz nitro 07-08-2009 11:57 PM

Roy,
Be sure and buy plenty of thread locker! The .91 has good vertical but nothing like the hot rod U-Can-Do with Hyper .50. That airplane died at a night fly doing blenders! I still have all the servos and engine. You never know I might order another one. You know for stress relief!
Are you going to the Tulsa Heatwave? I will be there sweating it out.
Jason
I'd like to go, but it looks like I'm working the weekend of. I'd go up Sunday, but it's mostly over with by then. Greg re-kitted his, but I don't think he's flown it more than a couple times since he turned the original one to confetti. Are you bringing it down to heatwave with you?

The bipe does look good in the air though. I do have a saito 100 that could use a good home also. I'll have to take a closer look. Maybe I can get traded out and make it up Saturday.

150flyer 07-17-2009 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More in-flight pictures.

jpjamie 08-29-2009 01:52 AM

I'm saving up for this one...looks fantastic! Got an OS .91 waiting for it.

jpjamie 08-29-2009 02:01 AM

Jason:
Could you give us all some details as how you (plugged in etc.) wired the aileron servos?

Jason 3-Danhakl 08-31-2009 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: jpjamie

Jason:
Could you give us all some details as how you (plugged in etc.) wired the aileron servos?
Not a problem. I am using a Futaba 7c radio which is somewhat limited in mixing functions for a 4 servo wing and dual elevator servo airplane.
I turned on the Flaperon function and then used a Y on the top and bottom wing. So the bottom two servos are Y'd into the Aileron channel. The top two servos are Y'd into the Flap Channel. As I'm sure you know powering more than two servos from the same channel is not a good idea. The connectors can't safely handle the current. So doing it this way gets the load divided across two connectors.
Just make sure you get the linkage mechanically correct and centered with the wing tip and you will have no problems. I already mentioned this but you don't need much aileron throw at all. Also the Rudder is stupid effective so max throw on Rud is not needed either. I have no idea what the throw measurments are. I have been fine tuning to my liking in the air. Hope this helps you.
Jason

jpjamie 09-02-2009 07:49 PM

Jason:
Not a problem. I am using a Futaba 7c radio which is somewhat limited in mixing functions for a 4 servo wing and dual elevator servo airplane.
I turned on the Flaperon function and then used a Y on the top and bottom wing. So the bottom two servos are Y'd into the Aileron channel. The top two servos are Y'd into the Flap Channel. As I'm sure you know powering more than two servos from the same channel is not a good idea. The connectors can't safely handle the current. So doing it this way gets the load divided across two connectors.
Just make sure you get the linkage mechanically correct and centered with the wing tip and you will have no problems. I already mentioned this but you don't need much aileron throw at all. Also the Rudder is stupid effective so max throw on Rud is not needed either. I have no idea what the throw measurments are. I have been fine tuning to my liking in the air. Hope this helps you.
Jason
Thanks Jason...perfect!
The suggestion was aslo made I should run each aileron servo from a separate channel because of the current issue. If I can get my JR 9303 to mix this all up I may try it but I feel (and as your flight history demonstrates) using Y's will work just fine and way simpler! The instructions also mention using a voltage regulator and lithium-ion battery for power and voltage regulation. Would I need this or could I get by with a large capacity nicad?

One last thought. I have a U-Can-Do with a OS .91 installed. Wondering if I can just unbolt the mount and bolt it on the firewall on this bipe!? I doubt it, because of the firewall to spinner clearance issue, but you never know!

Jason 3-Danhakl 09-03-2009 10:25 AM

Jason:
Jason
Thanks Jason...perfect!
The suggestion was aslo made I should run each aileron servo from a separate channel because of the current issue. If I can get my JR 9303 to mix this all up I may try it but I feel (and as your flight history demonstrates) using Y's will work just fine and way simpler! The instructions also mention using a voltage regulator and lithium-ion battery for power and voltage regulation. Would I need this or could I get by with a large capacity nicad?

One last thought. I have a U-Can-Do with a OS .91 installed. Wondering if I can just unbolt the mount and bolt it on the firewall on this bipe!? I doubt it, because of the firewall to spinner clearance issue, but you never know!
If you are going to use a non Lithium battery I would go with the newer 2/3 C 1600 mha 6 volt nimh's. Hydrimax has one that really works good. About the same weight as a 2100 Lipo with Reg.
I would mount the engine exactly like the manual states. The CG will be much easier to hit that way.
Jason

jpjamie 09-03-2009 10:02 PM

Jason:
Jason
Thanks Jason...perfect!

If you are going to use a non Lithium battery I would go with the newer 2/3 C 1600 mha 6 volt nimh's. Hydrimax has one that really works good. About the same weight as a 2100 Lipo with Reg.
I would mount the engine exactly like the manual states. The CG will be much easier to hit that way.
Jason
Used a Hydrimax before and they work well, so thanks for the reminder and mounting the engine exactly as the manual states IS the way to go. That big Hydrimax will allow me to pick a CG location I like. I dislike the "split main" landing gear. The two - one bolt pattern more than likely takes care of the rotation issue with this kind of main gear, but let me know if you notice any problems.

Just checked the instructions for the firewall to spinner distance and it is 5 5/8" from the firewall to spinner. Checked my U-Can-Do and the same distance is 5 6/8", so I'm just off by 1/8" inch! Will have to "weight" and see how the CG works out and check the spinner fit. Of course the engine mount to firewall (bolt pattern) may be entirely different....duh! Just trying to save time and work.