Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

Super Cap 1st flight

Old 08-18-2007, 12:01 PM
kenrinc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Cap 1st flight

So I went out with the Super Cap this morning. I hadn't been able to get the CG as per the plans. I'm actually bummed and not sure why I can't get this. The good news is the thing flies really nice Especially for someone like me with no 3d experience. Flew like a low wing trainer; point and shoot and the slow speed behavior rivals any trainer LOL! I nearly landed the thing standing still!

Bad news is I ended up having to add weight to make the plane balance even halfway near what the instructions say. I couldn't get it 3" back because I would have had to add about 4oz of weight and I didn't want to do that. Ironically, the weight came off half way through the 1st flight. No huge issue but I could tell and wasn't sure at the time what the issue was. Not really a problem, just sensed that something changed during the flight. Plane seemed to want to go into the ground when inverted and climb when upright. The plane came in at nearly 20oz and my little TP-220100 obviously wasn't up to the task of dealing with that much weight since it's only rated at 20oz of thrust. Supposed to be same as A20 but not sure at this point. Don't know where all the weight came from.

All is not lost as I'm pretty happy with it and I'm sure this plane will work nice for me as a trainer. Maybe a bigger motor will help out when I get further into it.

Ken-
Old 08-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Super Cap 1st flight

Kenrinc,

Where are your rudder and elevator servos mounted on the airframe??? I have Cap232 and SU26 pro kits and I have both setup with pull pulls and it mine balance well with the battery at the CG...

Look into it, it may help...

Hibrass
Old 08-18-2007, 03:41 PM
kenrinc

Hibrass,

Thanks. I did everything per the instructions so my servos are right at the rear of the wing. Still having fun with it at this point but I'm going to look at seeing if I can move much of the radio forward so that I don't have this problem in the future. Still need a motor capable of more than 20oz of thrust though. All out weight w/o battery is 14oz.

Ken
Old 08-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Ken,

Have you checked the CG during Inverted flight? If you roll inverted and the plane wants to climb "Hands Off" then you are definitely tail heavy! Now as far as extra thrust... I don't have a clue.. :-) I'm still learning about these electric planes... Maybe a lower KV Hacker in the 950 range with a 12x6 APC slow fly prop might do it...

I know that on the 3DFoamy website they have a long list of power setups that include the expected thrust ratings...

Good Luck,

Hibrass