RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3DFoamy Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3dfoamy-support-382/)
-   -   SuperXtra Question (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3dfoamy-support-382/7011573-superxtra-question.html)

COOLAIR 02-02-2008 08:56 AM

SuperXtra Question

John,

I am assemblying the SuperXtra. Instructions indicate fuse side rails get a carbon strip along the outside edge. Does this strip go the full length of fuse? If so, each side needs about 34 or 35" of carbon, but after building most of the fuse and wing, there is only (1) 48" carbon stick left plus a few inches of scrap of which some is needed for the elevator. Do I just split the 48" and center it on each side of fuse where flex would normally occur?

Thanks

JohnVH 02-02-2008 10:34 AM

RE: SuperXtra Question

Hey, thanks for the reminder to change the manual. It doesnt need the carbon on the outside of the fuse, I have never put it on my personal builds. If you have some leftover after the build you can add some there if you like. Hope that helps.

COOLAIR 02-17-2008 10:14 AM

Finally had time to finish up my SuperXtra. Went together very well except I had trouble with Robart hinges. First time to use them and must not have installed them all square as aileron movement was not real easy. Ended up taking them out and using tape.

Waiting for good weather....!

Coolair

bacosa 02-17-2008 10:34 AM

Robart hinges are great hinges as long as you keep the glue out of the joint. It tends to wick back up the hole and get in the joint. Just a little glue will bugger up the pivot. I hate the tape method. I have used both methods and I have found that I seem to have less flutter problems with the Robart hinges than with the tape. Plus the tape tends to come apart after a while. (That is if the airframe lasts that long!) I have a shock flyer that is 8 months old and I have had to re-tape the hinges 3 times. I would try again with the Robarts and be extra careful gluing the hinges in. I used white glue and used a tooth pick to deposit the glue at the bottom of the hole. I worked perfect and the hinges work flawlessly.

JohnVH 02-17-2008 12:00 PM

Yeah, the tip on the robart hinges, and that goes for everything from foamies to 40%+ birds, is you oil the hing point itself, that will keep the glue from sticking in it.

Cool, be prepared to have fun!

COOLAIR 02-20-2008 08:40 PM

Thanks for the tips...I think this was the problem, glue on the hinge point. Tape is installed, used strip on top and bottom, stuck together in the middle. Looks like it will work fine for now. Still waiting on decent weather.

John,
Read the other post about minis this weekend. I really like my Su-26, most fun I have had flying rc...and crashing! It needs to be retired as soon as kits are available again. If I order 2, is the shipping cost still the same?

Thanks for making great airplanes!

JohnVH 02-20-2008 09:15 PM

Hey Cool,
Yeah, I can put a few in one box actually.

COOLAIR 02-29-2008 10:57 PM

OK, so my tape hinges on ailerons really did not work that well on this size plane. So, I redid using new hinge points, drop of oil on the hinge and much more care with the glue and what do you know, the hinge points work great! Thanks John and Bacosa for the tips!

Flew a couple of times in windy conditions using by 2100mah 3C packs and I think I am going to like this plane. Ordered a 1320 3C pack, 1/2 the weight.

The morning might be light winds...

Coolair

bacosa 03-01-2008 08:50 AM

Sounds good coolair! I also have a 2100mah pack but mine flies much better with a 1500 mah. A little less flight time but I can really tell the difference with the weight. I use the 2100 pack when I practice slow roles and point roles and my imac aerobatic routines but I use the smaller pack for 3D. Have fun!:D