RCU Forums - View Single Post - $250 villain mods?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: $250 villain mods?

Hey everyone, just got back from Costa Rica Hope everyone is doing well.
Yes the johnson motors will handle and like the 14 cells. As a matter of fact I have learned that the Johnson motors like more than 7 cells each. So maybe consider 16 cells. But if you are going to run it faster and with more cells, I suggest the Jeti-600 ESC it is a great water proof ESC and its water cooled and will handle up to 30 cells and I believe 60 amp max You can get it for $73.99 from offshoreelectrics.com
Just take it easy. if you don't have the money to do it the reall nice way, then do it one thing at a time as you get the money, Don't do it the quick cheap way, you will be dissapointed. Start out with a good charger and some good batteries. The duratrax ICE charger will charge up to 10 cells at up to 6 amps. That is alot faster and better than a "cheap charger" and it will do LiPo's when you are ready for them. The Duratrax Ice will set you back about $119.00 Then go to www.cheapbatterypacks.com for the batteries. They have very good batteries at a very good price and they do custom packs for your specific needs. They made two 8 cell 3300mah GP packs that I run in my Aquajet Extreme. Then when you are ready, get the Jeti-600. That will handle most anything that you are going to do with that boat. Do some more research on the Johnson motors, I think you may have to take them apart to adjust the timing on a twin motor boat because they have to turn in opposite directions, I read thread on this and to me it doesn't look like anyfun. If anyone says its easy and takes 15 min, then ask them to do it for you for free When getting motors for it I would suggest getting something that you can adjust the timing easily on. and you need alot of torque so stay between 15 and 19 motors. Don't forget you will also need water cooling. When you start hopping up a boat, it is best to water cool it the best you can, The water jackets from offshoreelectrics cool alot better than the coils you see everywhere.
If you get a good charger and batteries, that is the best start. If you get 540 size motors then don't go for more than 14 cells or you will melt them.
Take your time and do it right. Don't buy some lame charger and cheap batteries from radio shack that you will regret later[:@]