RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers
Old 03-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

What were the two good shops in town? In the mid seventies you went to either west on Portage Avenue by the U of W to St. John's Hobbies or north on Main Street to Cellar Dwellar Hobby Supply. St. John's is long gone from Portage Avenue, but I believe in the business 40+ years at the time of closure. Cellar Dwellar Hobby Supply is still the best LHS in Winnipeg run by fellows of our age who I've known for 20+ years. They were aways good for answering questions, not just making a sale. I remember taking three buses to get from the south end of Winnipeg to the north end to pick up hobby supplies on a Saturday afternoon.

Sure I buy on the web sites and through tower hobbies, but it is great to have the local support we have in Winnipeg. The hobby is growing in Winnipeg, in the 70's the main club was the WRRC (Winnipeg Radio Control Club), but now there is the club and field in Headlingly club, and Big Sky Flyers (who i've joined, because their field is less than 10 minutes from LaSalle). The drive would be quicker on the road if the last 1/8th mile wasn't Manitoba gumbo instead of gravel. I'm also 45 and starting this hobby again. Started when I was 16 with money saved from my Winnipeg Tribune paper route, saved up $30.00 every two weeks for a year.