Thread: Rc Fuel Faq
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2002, 04:38 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rc Fuel Faq

Gubbs3,

I knew that being a bit of a "wise guy" in that part of the Fuel FAQ's would generate some feedback.

Good reasoning Gubbs3. I was very interested in learning more about the idea of coiling the pressure line but could not find anything in hard data in print. To say the least, I was very skeptical about exactly what you mention- reducing pressure to the tank at high rpm's. So I devised a test.

I took an my off the shelf buggy with a very popular 15 engine in it with a tuned pipe and coiled up a long piece of fuel tubing going from pipe to tank. Result- No difference in running. Not convinced, I then made a second pressure tap in the pipe and hooked up the second tap to a calibrated pressure guage (0 to 5 psi). Running the engine at wide open with short and long pieces of fuel tubing, coiled and straight, I did not see a difference in line pressure. The only time I saw reduced line pressure was when I purposely restricted it by pinching.

Now, is my simple test flawed? Sure it is, i only used one type of engine and a stock tuned pipe on an off the shelf RTR buggy. Is that indicitave to all car/buggy applications?- no, however i feel it is an adequate representation to the average sport car/buggy driver that runs off the shelf equipment. Will a high dollar racing engine and pipe act differently?- maybe, however I'm not going to purchase one to find out.

Fuelman