Thread: Rc Fuel Faq
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 06:09 AM
HobbyBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc Fuel Faq

Fuelman -
Need some help making sense of this.
I recently moved from a 1/8th on-road car to a 1/10th stadium truck.
Now in my on-road car I was running Blue Thunder 10% nitro (no idea on the lubricants). Anyway the on-road car is really old and finally broke where I can not replace the parts. This happened in March. I had about 3/4 of a Gallon of fuel left. Now last month I got a new stadium truck and decided to run the fuel I had, and for the most part the Truck has been running great. This weekend I was running a slightly hotter and dryer climate than usual. The first thing I did was add 1/8th turn to the high needle.
After the first 1/2 tank of fuel my engine over heated 304 degrees (I know, NOT good for my engine). I continued to chase my needles around looking for a setting that would prevent the engine from overheating. By the time I got there, about 250 degrees average, the performance was horrible. Transition from idle up was boggy and sluggish. (I should mention that the entire time running, even when I over heated, the engine was pumping loads of blue smoke).
I ran out of the 10% fuel, and the only car fuel available was 20% Blue Thunder, so I picked up a gallon. Anyway I started running this fuel without touching my needles.

- Now for the strange part ?

With the 20% my head temp dropped from 250 +/- 2 degrees to an average of 230 +/- and the engine cleaned up during transition.

This is the part that I can not put together. Higher nitro --> hotter burn, what could make it run cooler?

Could the fact the 10% fuel was about 6 months old cause it to run hotter? I am always careful about my fuels, Dark and Cool. When I need fuel I transfer from the 1 gal jug to a quart jug so the main fuel doesn't get exposed to the air/moisture as much.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.