RCU Forums - View Single Post - 'Nuther Patriot XL Build and Fly
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 11:14 AM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 'Nuther Patriot XL Build and Fly

Old thread but thought I would update. I'm now flying with the original 3 oz of lead that I built into the tailcone, plus an additional 4 oz in the box I built in the tail. And it feels like it could use more. Sheesh, gotta fly around with half a pound of lead in the rear end of this thing. On the brighter side, takeoffs are much improved as the CG moves back. I also shimmed the nose gear down with 1/4" ply and that helped. Had another close call with the Robart gear. The nosegear cylinder unscrewed itself and drained the system. Luckily I had just taken off and noticed that the gear wouldn't retract. Lucky me[X(]! Got it back down without a problem. Cleaned the cylinder up and used Loctite on the threads this time. Also checked the main gear cylinders, too. The Jett 90L just gets better and better. Have gotten questions on what ducted fan I'm running. Nope, just winds up like one. Anyway, things are getting better. I've got about 30 flights in including one cartwheel on takeoff. Minimal damage; very strong airframe. Tower's got 'em on sale for $99.99. Not a bad deal if you're willing to futz with it for a while.