RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bird of time Help Please
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bird of time Help Please

I had a BOT a number of years ago. I just bowed-out the one of the stabilizer wires so that the friction would hold the stabilizer halves on the airframe. It was very secure.

The rubber band hold-down system for the wing works very well, even without tape in the middle. If you use the proper number of bands, there's enough pressure that the wings won't separate because of the friction against the fuselage sides. There's more of a problem with the bands wanting to slip between the wing panels..this does widen the gap, but I never had the wings move more than that.

I eventually made a plywood rib with an extra-wide ply capstrip. This went between the two wing panels and provided a cover so the bands wouldn't creep between the panels. Make sure the cap is a very close fit to the top of the wing panels. Don't worry about any extra drag caused by the edges of the cap not being faired into the wing. The bands provide plenty as it is, and the model won't notice the extra rough edges made by the cap. The cross-section of the cap was a "T".

One way to add extra 'grip' to the fuselage sides is to run a bead of clear silicone caulking over the wing saddle, and then seat the wing onto it with a piece of clear plastic dropcloth between the wing and the silicone. Band the wing down tightly. When the caulk has cured, remove the wing and the plastic, and use a very sharp blade to trim the silicone flush with the fuselage. I usually use a single-edge razor blade for that. You get a good wing-fuselage joint, and the silicone keeps the wing from slipping.

I use the silicone seal on all models to seal the wing-fuselage area, as well as any hatches, removable canopies, and so on. You get good, leakproof seals that way.