RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cox Thermal Hopper Two-Needle Carb
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 06:04 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cox Thermal Hopper Two-Needle Carb

I can understand how it works now, thanks guys!

The reason why I had asked is I've started to search for a Thermal Hopper motor since the advent of eBay and me finding a 1957 Berkeley ducted fan model of a Douglas Skyray at a garage sale, and decided to make a reproduction of the kit for myself for display. The kit plans called for an OK Cub or a Cox Thermal Hopper motor. I finally saved up and bought a Thermal Hopper which I dis-assembled and polished up, but its still missing the starter spring for it...I really doubt if I'll ever run across one. The plans also call for a Berkeley "Midget" fuel tank and a Stanzel Monoline control unit. If I find these three things it would be a happy day...lol.

Anyways while I was in the process of finding a Thermal Hopper I seen the twin needle valve and thought it was very unique, so I bought it for a Space Hopper motor that was donated to me. At first I thought it was just a "high performance" item and didn't really know that it was for throttle control...I thought it just added more fuel to the motor, or for more precise tuning...never thinking it was a throttle of some sorts. Its amazing that it was actually thought of. I included a picture of it for everyone to see.

I still have to machine a display stand for the Space Hopper. It sports an old transparent blue Kaysun propeller that I have also polished out...its the favorite of the few that I have. I still have the single needle for the Thermal Hopper but I like to display it with the twin needle [sm=sunsmiley.gif], but unfortunatly will have to be taken off when it gets installed into the Skyray for it to be correct to the plans. I sure am enjoying trying to build a period correct airplane! The parts hunt has brought me through quite a journey in model airplane knowlege.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84039.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	441740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41670.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	441741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88246.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	44.7 KB