View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 11:48 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AMA E Membership

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

I guess I see it as they woke up and are trying to adress this. Which is nice for a change not to mention they asked for our opion. By all means give them yours.

Yes, everyone should send their opinion. I sent mine and copied both D. Brown and the good Dr. SF.

Here it is:

Hello Joyce, and those that have proposed and/or prepared this questionable item!

Since you do not mention anything about Chartered Clubs, yet you imply that the so called "Park Flier" ( BTW, could not the EC at least spell the name word correctly? Merriam Webster: "3. usually fly·er : an advertising circular ) will not participate at AMA Chartered Club Facilities at the 1/2 usual AMA fee. What about being a member of a Chartered Club?

That item should be corrected. How do you plan to educate these people to the real AMA if they are to be separated into some lower class? And then there is a thought that maybe they should not be brought face to face with the regulars all at one time!! HA!

Bylaws Article III, Membership, (e) SPECIAL MEMBERS does allow for this item with benefits as limited by the Executive Council. Therefore the Chart so distributed should state specifically, in no uncertain terms, just what those benefits are.

Without the specifics so stated, as an AMA Member for over 50 years and a Leader since 1964, I am opposed to the current program as presented.

OTOH I will support the program providing all benefits, with specific relationship to the AMA Chartered Club SPECIFICALLY defined, is provided in the chart.

>>>>>1. Given your current involvement in the hobby, would an "electric only" program as described above better meet your needs? <<<<<<<

Absolutely no effect on my needs. I have NO interest in electric in any way. (However I now listen to Light Rock and pop music where 10 years ago and before I only listened to Country-Western. Things can change)

>>>>>2. If such an alternative membership program was offered, would you be inclined to choose this program over your existing full-service membership? <<<<<<<

Absolutely NOT. I am a Life Member, CD and Leader.

Horrace Cain
Leader # L-93

In a message dated 4/21/2006 8:58:23 PM Central Standard Time, [email protected] writes:
Dear AMA Member,

I am sending this E-mail to you in a request for your assistance. With recent advancements in electric R/C technologies and the advent of the very popular "Park Flyer" aircraft, the demographics of the modeling community are rapidly changing. In order to better serve our members the AMA Executive Council is considering instituting a membership program that is specifically aimed at addressing the needs of the park flyer pilots. We have defined these "park flyer modelers" as having models that weigh 2 pounds or less, do not exceed 60 mph, and do not fly higher than 200 feet.

This proposed program would have less insurance coverage, be limited to non-sanctioned events, and include a bimonthly magazine focusing on electric-powered aircraft. Additionally, we view this new membership group as establishing electric-power flying fields in urban areas and not being part of existing clubs. We have priced this program at $29.95 per year.

To better assess the views of the membership, the AMA Executive Council is seeking your input in answering the following questions:

1) Given your current involvement in the hobby, would an "electric only" program as described above better meet your needs?

2) If such an alternative membership program was offered, would you be inclined to choose this program over your existing full-service membership?

Again, I want to underscore that this is a proposed program.

Thank you for your assistance!

Joyce Hager

Acting Executive Director on behalf of the Membership Development Committee

Program comparison details: (also attached as comparison.gif)

Current Open AMA dues Benefits Park Flyer AMA dues Benefits
Rate $58 $29.95
Insurance $2.5 million individual liability coverage $500,000 individual liability coverage
$25,000 medical coverage No medical coverage
$1,000 Fire, Theft & Vandalism coverage No Fire, Theft & Vandalism coverage
Participation in sanctioned events Yes No
Flying site Fly at current AMA chartered fields New park flyer E-fields to be established.
Magazine Monthly Model Aviation magazine Bimonthly E-focused AMA magazine melding MA E-type
and articles E-flight articles from existing publications