RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly
Old 04-26-2006, 06:10 PM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 87" Yak 54 - Build & Fly

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in this thread for a while since I smacked up my Yak at the end of last season and it has been collecting dust in the corner of my workshop waiting for me to make it a new motor box

My winter build time was consumed by designing a brand new 50CC Yak and I took a lot of inspiration from my beloved EF Yak. I lengthened the fuse about 6 inches, thickened the airfoil just a tad and made the rudder, ailerons and elevators bigger. Oh, and I also added 150 Sq Inches of wing area. All this came out to 16 lbs flat but I am using a set of aluminum gear that weighs nearly a pound more than the EF Yak's composite set. I primarily designed this as a 3D machine rather than a pattern ship.

I had it laser cut since there were so many intricate interlocking pieces, I would have gone insane trying to cut it myself.

I have managed to borrow a few parts from my EF Yak including a spare dinged up canopy (I cut out the wood frame and substituted my own), the cowl and the servo arms. Doing this kept the cost around $350.

Tomorrow is the big day for the maiden and I have my fingers and toes crossed!

Sorry if it sounds like I hijacked the thread...I figured I'd post it here since this airplane is in many ways the offspring of the EF Yak.

If anyone cares to read about the design thread, it is in the Scratch Building forum under "Rollin' my own 50CC Yak 54"

If this design goes well, I will probably scale it to a 40% version just for giggles.

Cheers!

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97809.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	451590