RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hughes H-1 Racer for Q-40
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 08:42 AM
DonStegall
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hughes H-1 Racer for Q-40

Way back in 2003, I did a plug and mold construction article on making a plug using pink foam. I originally posted it on RCUniverse, and the full thread can be found there at Hughes H-1 Racer for Q-40. I have posted part of the thread at Hughes H-1 Racer - Making the molds. You can see some photos of the real airplane in the last link.

I designed this plane so that I could use any wing and stab on it. It does not have a stab saddle or a wing saddle. But the way I did the wing saddle area, it is very easy to add some balsa and plywood doublers and mount the wing Quickie style.

Since there was no wing saddle, there was no opening through which to join the halves. The intention was that the builder would select the wing location, cut out a saddle area, and then join the halves. It's not terribly hard to do. Just tape it together, untape the tail and glue it with some thickened epoxy. Then after that has cured, use some CA to tack the sides together. Then 1" 9 ounce fiberglass tape can be placed on the seams through the wing saddle.

I'm getting ready to test some Q-40 wing designs and test some pitch moments. So I joined up a couple of halfs. It wasn't too bad, but I've gotten pretty good at doing wet lapped seams while fuselages are still wet. I try to do as little manipulation of the lap as possible, because I tend to create more bubbles than I fix. I though, what the heck, let's try to do a Hughes joined in the mold, even though I only get one shot at getting it together.

My wife is now helping me make fuselages. It takes me 3-4 hours to do one by myself and I am drained after I finish. With her help, we can now do one in 1.5-2 hours.

We made a Hughes on Sunday. I cooked it in my hot box for about 16 hours. I used WEST 105/209 hardener so we would have as much working time as we needed.

I took the fuselage out this morning. The lapped seams are not perfect, but I'm pretty sure they are still better than taped seams. There are some minor bubbles along the seam line in places, but they are easily filled.

My goal with this plane was to be able to use it as a test mule for wings and stabs. But it should make a fine Q-40 Sport plane. The missing wing saddle allows for playing with different wings and moments. But it should not be plenty easy to mount the wing. It could even be built as a one piece with a hatch.

The nose of the plane is plenty big for electric outrunner motors. The E-Flite 46 BL Outrunner will definitely fit, and I think the 60 BL will also.

Now that we can produce the fuselage joined in the mold, I'm going to increase the price just a little, and offer kits with plans and foam cores for $60. You have your choice of an SD6060 or MH-24 airfoil. The 6060 is a little more forgiving, but some people think the MH-24 is faster. It is the airfoil used on the Polecat.

If you are going to build for Q-40 Sport, I will bundle a JETT Q-40 mount for the Thunder Tiger Pro 40 for an additional $20.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37722.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	468005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47532.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	468006